I'll just summarise my position (I will also summarise the questions at the bottom for the tl;dr people):
So, we have to be living together for a consecutive year and can prove both that and the fact that we were together 2/3 years previous with photos, emails and letters.
- "Met" my Australian partner online nearly 3 years ago (anniversary is the 23rd October) - by chance on Facebook if anyone is interested.
- She's 21 and I'm 19 so when we decided we wanted to be with each other, she was 18 and I was 16.
- She has holidayed to me twice and I have holidayed to Adelaide once and am currently on a Working Holiday Visa for 1 year.
- So it was:
- December 2009, visits me for 2 months.
- July 2010, I visit her for 3 months.
- January 2011, she visits me for 1.5 months.
- Since mid-July 2011, I've been here in Adelaide on a 1-year working Holiday Visa.
- I have lived with my partner from the second day I arrived in Australia (ash cloud issues - had to spend a night in Melbourne)
- I want a Defacto Visa (I understand the conditions, it's just some points were concerning me).
Yep we'll have done that by July 2012, but I'm wondering about whether I have to leave when my WHV would run out or am I allowed to stay whilst the application is pending? I can't work that one out. I was told by an agent that I shouldn't have to leave the country - that if I submit my application to him about 3 months before my visa expires...I'm just kind of confused about that one.
Do I have to have an income? "Have to be able to support each other financially" I mean she's a teacher, so she's earning a decent income and could support me technically as I'm finding it ridiculously difficult to find a job here at the moment, but would someone be able to clarify that one?
Can I stay in the country while my application is pending after my original WHV runs out?
How long would the application generally take?
Will a health check from Australia be okay? - I assume so, so when should I get that done - and how?
How do I go about getting an English police check done if I'm in Australia?
When should I generally start organising - submitting the application, getting all the checks done etc?
Are there any problems I haven't factored in to my analysis?
Also, one miscellaneous question: I have a full English Driver's License. I have been told I can transfer it for a full Aussie lisence, but not until I become a permanent resident - true/false?
Sorry for the long read, my mind is being blown by all this, so here's a picture of a rainbow I took:
Aus 2011 (10)e.jpg