Migration advise.

Guest sdip

Hi,

We have recently got our 475 visa. We are planning to migrate by June/July 2012. I have my wife (housewife) and two kids (7,3). In profession I am an IT Manager. I am looking for following questions. Any advise will be highly appreciated.

- What will be the ideal location to look for temporary house which should be nearer to IT park?

- Is AUD 300 per week budget enough for 2 bedroom house rent?

- What are the documents I should carry to open bank account and which bank has more coverage across Adelaide?

- What will be tentative cost for our elder son's primary education and younger one's kindergarten? I believe since its 475 visa so we will not have any facility.

- What will be tentative medical costs?

- Is there any website where I can have major IT consultant's name?

Thanks a lot if you can spend some of your valuable time and help to understand the migration process. Please advise me if I am missing something.

Sandip

Guest pixie7

Hi congratulations on visa :biggrin:

Google some rental agents in adelaide try http://www.realestate.com.au but basically yes $300 looks like enough for a rental but it depends what area- I would secure a job first and then look for housing- lots of people go for a holiday rental for a few weeks/months on arrival.

We are looking at Adelaide Bank and NAB but I know HSBC is there too- not sure on docs- presume passport/birth cert etc

Cant help with costs of schools or medical ins as we dont have children and qualify for medicare.

IT website= seek, Talent International, Hays or just google IT agencies Adelaide.

Hope Ive helped a little

Goodluck!

Open a bank account before you get to Oz then you can just collect your cards when you arrive. The big 4 banks, Commonwealth, NAB, ANZ and Westpak are all pretty well represented with ATM's and branches but you can get cash out at the supermarkets and pay for many things by EFTPOS so I cant see the need to be running to an actual branch all the time.

The suggestion about getting a short term rental is really good advice. It is so hard to advise what area to look in and it will also depend on you as a family, schooling as well as what is available at the time. At least when you arrive and drive around you will get some idea as to what ticks the boxes for your family. Everyone has different ideas and even within areas there are some beautiful streets and right next door may be a dodgy street so it is not so clear cut.

Check out whether you have to pay for schooling - I think South Australia may be one state that doesnt differentiate as to whether you are a permanent resident or not in which case you wont pay international fees but rather the regular fees that everyone pays. You could contact a few schools around where you are going to be working to just get a feel for costs.

Thanks Zoot. Its really very helpful. We are going to have a short visit on Feb 2012 prior to our actual migration on July. Some of the house hunting and location assessment will be our top priority during that time apart from opening a bank account. Hope to get as much as idea during our assessment.