How easy is it to get regional work to be eligible for a for a 2nd WHV?

Guest Andy-Laa

Guest Andy-Laa

Recently been to a migration agent here in Adelaide and had a consult - at considerable expense, so I'm assuming the information is valid haha ($180) - in which he advised me that to take the pressure off of trying to get a Defacto Visa by applying for a 2nd WHV.

So my question is basically confined to construction work as this, he advised, is the most common work within a commutable distance of where I live, but agriculture is a possibility too if I can find a place that won't require me to actually move away...

Basically, how easy is it to get a general labourer job on a construction site for a 19 y/o unskilled working holidaymaker? - I would be happy lugging bricks for minimum wage if that's what it would take. Don't sugar-coat it, if the answer is "you will never get a job in construction", then that's the answer. Anyone here with any first-hand knowledge of this that can advise me?

And how would I go about it (use a website...? Agency?)

Thanks guys, this community has become invaluable to me and I'm gonna look to helping out on here when I become a seasoned veteran at all this visa BS :P

-Andy

Guest fozdog

Alright Andy

yeh i did my 3 months regional work on a farm. there is laboring jobs around but i found it was all 'cash in hand' and you would only might do a week here and then have nothing on for a week. I ended up going to a farm in the middle of nowhere and working with sheep was great fun, a good experience haha but i see that's not ideal for you so i would just check the papers,check gum tree or go to the hostels (the one in glenelg, adelaide is good) the place was full of Irish when i was there and they all seemed to be finding plenty of work.

there are rumors of farmers in mildura in victoria who for a fee/bribe will sign you off as doing the 3 months work,or using a farmers ABN, but it all sounds a bit dodgy to me, people have been caught so i wouldn't advise you doing that unless you was stuck.

so just look around mate, something will come up!

Tom

Guest Adelaide_bound

Sorry, don't know anything about labouring, I have been going under the impression that most regional work is harvest type work. Theres the harvest line, that has details of work on it, plus look in hostels at the their notice boards (although imho I can't see how that can be a particularly good way, surely one of the hostel stayers will take it down asap?), just turn up at farms and see, theres WWOOFing as well (or is it WOOFFing? - can't remember the exact letter formation, but something like that), which isn't paid but does give board and lodgings, and counts for your 2nd year visa.

None of this is first hand knowledge, we aren't out there yet, Britchickx and PommyPaul are though and have a lot of experience I think about it all, so post on their thread maybe asking for help? They are on the main Poms in Oz forums, in the backpackers section.