Medicals Query

Guest Cookie85

Guest Cookie85

Hi

I am looking for a bit of advice please. We are likely to be going for our medicals soon and we have a bit of a dilemma. As far as I know we have to fill out Form 26 for us and kids and on it there's a question " Have u ever had an ongoing physical or intellectual disability?" Our son has Aspergers and Im wondering if we put this on the form or not? Could it go against us, would they refuse us a visa?? If we dont declare it and our visa is granted could it cause a problem later?? Just dont know what to do for best! Any help would be gratefully appreciated. Thanks

Hi

I am looking for a bit of advice please. We are likely to be going for our medicals soon and we have a bit of a dilemma. As far as I know we have to fill out Form 26 for us and kids and on it there's a question " Have u ever had an ongoing physical or intellectual disability?" Our son has Aspergers and Im wondering if we put this on the form or not? Could it go against us, would they refuse us a visa?? If we dont declare it and our visa is granted could it cause a problem later?? Just dont know what to do for best! Any help would be gratefully appreciated. Thanks

Hello Cookie85

I'm not sure how to say this, so please bear with me.

It sounds as if you think the answer to the question on Form 25 ought to be "Yes." However, there are many different ways of saying, "Yes." One can say, "Yes, BUT....." for example.

At the moment, you are not really asking the right questions, though I can understand why this is so.

They won't refuse you a visa just because your son has Asperger's. The issue is whether or not your son's medical condition would potentially result in "significant cost" to the Public Purse in Australia. Providing special or additional assistance for a child at school costs money. If somebody in Australia is unable to work because of a medical condition or disability then s/he may be eligible for one of more state Benefits - which are expensive to provide. So these are the issues that you need to address, not the ones you have asked about in your post, if you see what I mean.

I'm a lawyer by background and I don't have any children, So I can help you with some bits of this but I know other people who can help you far more than I could with other aspects and I'll put you in direct tough with them if need be.

However, before we get bogged down with the whole thing, how old is your son at the moment, please? Does he have any special or additional assistance at school? Has he had any special help of this type in the past? To what extent does Asperger's hamper his ability to lead a "normal" life?

Cheers

Gill

Guest Guest6899

Hi, our son Ethan has Autism and we got a visa so dont worry. We were honest on all forms, took letters from the headmaster, school reports, autism outreach team, his doctor, what ever we could get. I got the headmaster to detail his special educational needs and the cost to the school in terms of assistance he required. he was referred we knew he would be but we were asked for no further information and after a week we were granted. luckily though Ethan is high functioning and managing very well, i think each person is looked at individually.

Hope this helps Lisa

Guest Cookie85

Hi Gollywobbler,

Got a cancellation for meds on the 10th, just read your post tonight. I left that question blank on the form and had a chat with the panel Dr. He was a lovely Dr, he chatted and joked with my son (who is 8 years old) and he wrote a short report of his own to put alongside the Psychologists Report I brought along. IHHO he didnt think we would get a visa refusal, just maybe a request for further information. Here's hoping! My son is in a great school here, one of my biggest worries is finding the equivalent in SA. More hoping!! Thanks for your interest and for taking the time to reply to my query.

Cookie85

Guest Cookie85

Hi Lisa

Had our meds quicker than we thought due to cancellation. Brought along Psychologist Report, never thought of school reports etc (Doh!) The Dr was great with him and our son was in great form himself that day. The Dr put in a report of his own so hopefully all will be good. Thanks very much for your positive reply... well your reply at all...considering you must be up to your neck in packing, saying goodbyes etc. Hope the move goes well for you all and sunny Adelaide is all you are hoping it to be. Would love to know how you are getting on when you are settled in and up to answering a million and one questions!! Thanks again and Best of Luck in your new life.

Cookie85

Guest Cookie85
Hello Cookie85

I'm not sure how to say this, so please bear with me.

It sounds as if you think the answer to the question on Form 25 ought to be "Yes." However, there are many different ways of saying, "Yes." One can say, "Yes, BUT....." for example.

At the moment, you are not really asking the right questions, though I can understand why this is so.

They won't refuse you a visa just because your son has Asperger's. The issue is whether or not your son's medical condition would potentially result in "significant cost" to the Public Purse in Australia. Providing special or additional assistance for a child at school costs money. If somebody in Australia is unable to work because of a medical condition or disability then s/he may be eligible for one of more state Benefits - which are expensive to provide. So these are the issues that you need to address, not the ones you have asked about in your post, if you see what I mean.

I'm a lawyer by background and I don't have any children, So I can help you with some bits of this but I know other people who can help you far more than I could with other aspects and I'll put you in direct tough with them if need be.

However, before we get bogged down with the whole thing, how old is your son at the moment, please? Does he have any special or additional assistance at school? Has he had any special help of this type in the past? To what extent does Asperger's hamper his ability to lead a "normal" life?

Cheers

Gill

Hi Gollywobbler,

Got a cancellation for meds on the 10th, just read your post tonight. I left that question blank on the form and had a chat with the panel Dr. He was a lovely Dr, he chatted and joked with my son (who is 8 years old) and he wrote a short report of his own to put alongside the Psychologists Report I brought along. IHHO he didnt think we would get a visa refusal, just maybe a request for further information. Here's hoping! My son is in a great school here, one of my biggest worries is finding the equivalent in SA. More hoping!! Thanks for your interest and for taking the time to reply to my query.

Cookie85

Guest Cookie85
Hi, our son Ethan has Autism and we got a visa so dont worry. We were honest on all forms, took letters from the headmaster, school reports, autism outreach team, his doctor, what ever we could get. I got the headmaster to detail his special educational needs and the cost to the school in terms of assistance he required. he was referred we knew he would be but we were asked for no further information and after a week we were granted. luckily though Ethan is high functioning and managing very well, i think each person is looked at individually.

Hope this helps Lisa

Hi Lisa

Had our meds quicker than we thought due to cancellation. Brought along Psychologist Report, never thought of school reports etc (Doh!) The Dr was great with him and our son was in great form himself that day. The Dr put in a report of his own so hopefully all will be good. Thanks very much for your positive reply... well your reply at all...considering you must be up to your neck in packing, saying goodbyes etc. Hope the move goes well for you all and sunny Adelaide is all you are hoping it to be. Would love to know how you are getting on when you are settled in and up to answering a million and one questions!! Thanks again and Best of Luck in your new life.

Cookie85

Guest Guest6899
Hi Lisa

Cookie85

Glad all went well, yes a busy day today just thought would grab a few mins on computer before i start. no problems with dropping me a mail, cant always gtee to answer your questions but will have a go.. speak soon Lisa x