Is there a website/service which can help me get some fruit-picking work?

Guest Andy-Laa

Guest Andy-Laa

Recently found out I need the 88 days seasonal work and I just need to know where I can go as I want it over with asap. It's urgent I start no later than January bearing in mind the visa processing times and such.

I'm living in the south, suburb of Darlington and anywhere within a reasonable, commutable distance would be awesome.

So far, I've been told Mclaren Vale is semi-doable, Adelaide Hills is okay and Clare is a bit of a ways away, but good for a desperate, young backpacker.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated guys! - a website, an agency, an individual vineyard/fruit-growing area close to me which takes fruit pickers...anything.

Cheers,

Andy.

Hello Andy

You don't necessarily have to pick fruit. The requirement is that you need to do "specified work" in a "regional area" for not less than 88 days.

Please bear in mind that you need to sign on for MORE than 88 days because it all tends to be casual work, so you only get paid for the time that you actually spend working. If the employer doesn't want you to work because there is a period of bad weather, he won't pay you for those days and DIAC count the number of days dyring which you can prove that you have been paid.

Please click on this link:

http://www.immi.gov.au/visitors/working-holiday/417/eligibility-second.htm

A number of different activities count as "specified work." If I were your age and out in Oz on a WHV, I'd be chatting up all the commercial fishermen in the hope of getting a job on one of their boats. But that's because I've always been around boats and the sea and I love doing it, plus fishing boats don't stop working just because it is pouring with rain!

So please make sure that you understand all the different possible work options that you could choose:

http://www.immi.gov.au/visitors/working-holiday/417/specified-work.htm

There is no requirement that you must choose one type of work and do nothing else for 88 days. You can do as many different types of specified work as you choose.

If you want to be involved with harvesting types of crops, check out the Harvest Trail website, I suggest. The link is given in the first page above.

Additionally, look on the relevant internet forums. I have often noticed posts on the Lonely Planet Guide forum. Youngsters seem to use that a lot to swop information about where to go to do "specified work."

http://www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntree/index.jspa

There might be something similar on Gumtree, Facebook and maybe Twitter as well. I haven't studied any of those sites myself but if you know how to search them then they are probably helpful.

Good luck, youn 'un! I wish I were still young enough to be in the same quandary as you!

Cheers

Gill

Guest tinkham_lee

I used madec empoyment in Mclaren Vale to get harvesting work, although unfortunately you have missed the grape pruning season and the grape harvest season starts in mid-late february. not sure about other fruits.

there is a long list of jobs you can do, have a look on immigration website.

the time requirement is 3 months or 88 days, if you can be employed with the same employer for 3 months you don't need the 88 days,

I was employed as a casual labourer with an earthmoving/landscaping company for 4 moths working 4 day weeks (with the occasional 5th day) approx 70 working days and was granted the second year visa, which was granted 10 minutes after I applied for it.

Hope that helps

Guest Andy-Laa

Thanks to everyone who's replied!

Adelaide_Bound: doesn't seem to be anything at the moment, but I've bookmarked the site for later. Cheers for that.

Gollywobbler: Yeah, I'm aware I'm not restricted to just fruit-picking, but I want something which allows me to stay living where I am with my partner (in Darlington). So that definitely shoves mining out the way.

I shall definitely get on to lonely planet and have a search around. thanks for the time you put into posting :)

tinkham_lee: yeah, I mean there is still stuff to pick in SA - the only month where there isn't seemed to be September: http://www.fruitpicking.org/fruit-picking-essentials/crops-calendar

I believe it has something to do with what the employer deems a "normal working week" as in if most employees are employed from 8am-12pm and have weekends off, then each 4-hour working day and the weekend is counted as a day towards your 88.

It's looking like - if it's allowed (if anyone here can advise on it I'd appreciate it) - I'm just going to suck it up and volunteer for the council in conservation parks (or similar). it basically (seems to) consist of planting trees and general maintainence of the park.

Is this eligible?

God, it feels like my head is just gonna explode with all this stuff!

Andy

Guest tinkham_lee

With the 88 days, if you can do 3 months with the same employer working their "normal working week" then you only need 3 months or 88 days including weekends , if however you have different employers doing different jobs (to accumulate 3 months) you need to physically work 88 days, which can't include weekends or days off.

The work can be paid or unpaid as long as you can get a letter from the employer saying what you did and dates you were employed for.

Have you thought about labouring for a builder?

Guest Andy-Laa

I have - I don't know how to go about it or what I would be doing though :S

Any suggestions? - The volunteering for conservation parks thing fell through - apparently it isn't eligible work :/

This is so frustrating!

Guest Adelaide_bound
Thanks to everyone who's replied!

Adelaide_Bound: doesn't seem to be anything at the moment, but I've bookmarked the site for later. Cheers for that.

Have you actually called them? Apparently they don't always get a chance to update the website before the vacancy is filled, so its worth a call apparently. And I think (but I may be wrong) its grape pruning season now? Which would count the same as picking the fruit. HTH

Guest Adelaide_bound
Have you actually called them? Apparently they don't always get a chance to update the website before the vacancy is filled, so its worth a call apparently. And I think (but I may be wrong) its grape pruning season now? Which would count the same as picking the fruit. HTH

Just wanted to say sorry, because I've read that back and realised how rude it sounded - really sorry, didn't mean it to be rude :embarressed: (hopefully the message behind it will be helpful though - silly internet and no tone in messages lol)