What is checked when applying for PR?

browny

Hi,

We are on a 457 visa at the mo and have a few questions. Been here nearly a year and was wondering if we can apply for PR now or have to wait for 2 years. Also, as we are here, will we have to have medicals done,police checks etc? Are credit checks done back in the UK to see if we have left any debt or have bad credit?

As we are on a 457 visa, which visa would we be applying for, for PR and how much would this be for a family of 4 roughly?

Any other info would be great too - pitfalls, best way to do it, what you dont need to do?

Thanks,

Guest Mitchell

If you've only been here a year then you're too early. I believe you have to be here two years and a day before you can apply. You have to have worked full time for at least 12 months in that time to qualify. Having been here just over a year on a 457 myself I've not looked further yet.

It depends whether you would have qualified for PR in the first place or not. Being on a 457 for two years is just one alternative way of qualifying for those who didn't originally meet the experience etc requirements.

Michelle, given you're highly qualified and have lots of experience behind you, you probably could apply whenever you want... might be worth a read of the eligibility requirements.

If you've only been here a year then you're too early. I believe you have to be here two years and a day before you can apply. You have to have worked full time for at least 12 months in that time to qualify. Having been here just over a year on a 457 myself I've not looked further yet.

You can apply for PR any time if you have the necessary qualifications you do not have to wait 2 years.We applied within a couple of months of arriving on a 457 visa.

Your employer can sponsor you or you can go independently.