Documents needed to prove years of work experience?

Guest oidara

We just submitted our application for SS and we're now trying to get everything ready for the 176 application. I have emailed DIAC twice to ask what they require to prove years of work experience. The first reply was very general and didn't answer my questions at all, so I tried again and got the exact same reply!

Can anyone here help me?

Our situation is a bit unusual. For starters, we haven't been living in the UK since 2004 so we don't have P60s etc. We have also been self-employed for part of the period. For the past 5 years, though, we have been working for our own company so we are in effect salaried employees and can provide salary information.

We also have a skills assessment from ACS that shows 10 years' experience.

What sort of documents do the DIAC usually ask for? On their help pages, they imply that they only need one payslip plus an employer reference, but I feel like I must be missing something here! Or, combined with the skills assessment verdict, is this in fact all that's needed?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can shed some light on this!

I am in the same boat really. But to be honest, when I did my skills assessment with ANMAC, they asked me did I want them to include, in my positive skills assessment, my work experience for migration purposes. I said yes and had to provide proof of jobs for past 10 years. So I think I'll just send skills assessment with the proof of service. I can't be looking for P60's and wage slips, I'm far too unorganised for that!!

We are about the same time, our SS docs were received 25th Oct. Good luck!

Hi Bev,

Thanks for your reply. All we had to include for the skills assessment was a statement of the years worked and an employer reference. I hope it's as you say and that DIAC will just take the number of years ACS decided as a fact and be done with it! Good luck with your SS. It's pretty nail-biting, checking the SMP every day and hoping not to see your occupation highlighted in red!

Guest sksmith
What sort of documents do the DIAC usually ask for? On their help pages, they imply that they only need one payslip plus an employer reference, but I feel like I must be missing something here! Or, combined with the skills assessment verdict, is this in fact all that's needed?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can shed some light on this!

Hi, we supplied same evidence as was needed for skills assessments, a handful of payslips (a few year end ones) and had the salary stated in the reference letter from the employer. Did not supply any T4s (Canada's equivalent to P60s). Hope this helps. Do you have any year-end tax statements from the country you lived in? Might not hurt to include them as you stated you were self-employed.

Hi, Thanks for your reply. We didn't really have to submit much for the skills assessment - or rather, it was nowhere near enough to prove the number of years they decided on. Just a letter from my husband (he's the applicant) and a CV, plus a reference letter from me (as I am technically his co-director/employer). That was it! I just find it hard to believe that will be enough for DIAC, but maybe they set a lot of store by the skills assessment verdict?

We don't have a tax statement for every year, but we do have them for the last 4.5 years. Problem is that we'd like to claim 8 years and I don't know if we can, given that there is very little paperwork for the first 3.5 years of the 8.

Guest sksmith
Hi, Thanks for your reply. We didn't really have to submit much for the skills assessment - or rather, it was nowhere near enough to prove the number of years they decided on. Just a letter from my husband (he's the applicant) and a CV, plus a reference letter from me (as I am technically his co-director/employer). That was it! I just find it hard to believe that will be enough for DIAC, but maybe they set a lot of store by the skills assessment verdict?

We don't have a tax statement for every year, but we do have them for the last 4.5 years. Problem is that we'd like to claim 8 years and I don't know if we can, given that there is very little paperwork for the first 3.5 years of the 8.

I think what you describe as proof will suffice. Not sure if it's possible to get a letter from your tax agency to write a letter on your behalf for the missing 3.5 years? They would surely have it on record.

Unfortunately not as we were non-resident for most of those years so our tax situation was messy to say the least. I guess we will just have to try with what we've used so far and hope for the best!