Being called ' Pommie bas**d ?

Guest guest4504

Guest guest4504

I know the term Pommie is apparently light heart banter, but how many of you get it in the other way, anger, hate or just racist . Is it at work, yelled at outside. There was a comment on an earlier thread that they have been called a Pommie Bas7rd several times within a few months, just shows how retarded the callers were as he/she has made Australia their home. I can accept banter but very doubt I would take any abuse :mad:. Hope most is Jest and not hate.

Get over it!!! I now live in the UK but when my mum and dad lived in Oz they new when they had been accepted when they were called Pommie Bastards and gave a response to which the giver appreciated!

It's not the UK where you are wrapped in cotton wool stand up for yourself!! The Aussies appreciate that more than you hiding behind some law!!

I am returning next year and am do looking forward to being called a Pommie Bastard even though I am Australian - I have explained to my OH that if you get called that don't take it to heart but respond with something witty and you'll be fine.

I'm expecting a bit of flack now and then ,I wouldn't be surprised if we all get it from time to time .Plenty of people moving to the uk will of had it ,so why should any of us be any different,I like a bit of banter at work ,it takes your mind off other things and makes the day go faster.

here's a few smart arse aussie comments ,no one said life was going to be easy 24/7.

Warning some are not for the easily offended

http://sunburntcountry.au.com/sayings/insults.html

Kev.

I do think there is quite a cultural difference between Brits and Ozzies in words and phrases used, which is not always evident till you've lived here for a bit. There are words here that are commonly used - on breakfast radio, on TV etc - which I considered quite major swearwords in the UK (like the one that rhymes with banker, for instance) and stuff that is openly advertised all day that had me blushing to my roots (oops, that one's the other way round - a term that's innocent in England and not innocent here, just don't ask someone which football team they're rooting for in the Showdown): I well remember my then 7 year old son being in the car on the school run when an ad for "nasal delivery technology" came on the radio, and him asking me what "go at it like a Tasmanian Devil" meant..... NOT a discussion I was ready for at 8:30 in the morning....and don't get me started on the ads there used to be for the Crazy Horse...

I think the phrase the OP mentioned is something similar - yes, it can be used bitingly, in the same way that any phrase singling someone out for their nationality, skin colour, race or physical characteristics can be, and yes, there are bigots worldwide, even here in Australia who don't know any better and reveal their own failings by using it so - but mostly here it's used either as a kind of affectionate thing between mates, or as a test to see how you react: I guess the blunt, call-a-spade-a-spade aussies have been told over the years that the Brits are an uptight nationality with no sense of "mateship", so they're throwing the line out at you to see what sort of reaction they get! Give as good as you get and you'll win respect and friends, is what I've always found. Another thing they think here is that us Brits don't ever wash...:err:

Guest Guest5035

i remember my old boss was a arrogant new zealander wan#er and introduced himself as my boss and said right you pommie bastard lets go,i replied where we going kiwi, he said you can't call me that, i said get over it kiwi, just like i did being called a pommie bastard, from that minute on we were best mates.

stevo

We have a south african neighbour and she asked Vicky the other day about bath night for the kids being odd, as with living in a hot country they would shower more than once aday, So she most think we never wash as well:biggrin:

Kev.

Guest Guest5035
For a bit of lighthearted Aussie "racism" towards the New Zealand accent have a look at some of the Beached Az stuff on youtube -

don't you just love their accent

stevo

I know the term Pommie is apparently light heart banter, but how many of you get it in the other way, anger, hate or just racist . Is it at work, yelled at outside. There was a comment on an earlier thread that they have been called a Pommie Bas7rd several times within a few months, just shows how retarded the callers were as he/she has made Australia their home. I can accept banter but very doubt I would take any abuse :mad:. Hope most is Jest and not hate.

Think it might be my post you are refering to deus :unsure: I probably should have explained that all the comments i've had have been light hearted banter imo...well thats how I took it anyway...even if I was wrong I still think thats the best reaction....20 years of working on building sites has given me a thick skin i suppose and the ability to give a quick responce.

In most cases I think its just a way for people to break the ice/say hello in some way...maybe not the way we might do it but...when in rome!

Think it might be my post you are refering to deus :unsure: I probably should have explained that all the comments i've had have been light hearted banter imo...well thats how I took it anyway...even if I was wrong I still think thats the best reaction....20 years of working on building sites has given me a thick skin i suppose and the ability to give a quick responce.

In most cases I think its just a way for people to break the ice/say hello in some way...maybe not the way we might do it but...when in rome!

:notworthy::notworthy::notworthy:

Much of Australia, its people, its attitudes are stuck firmly in the past. It's like 1970's Britain & not in a good way. I won't be lowering my standards, morals or ethics just to fit in with a bunch of prehistoric morons.

Think the 1970s, even though it seems a long time ago, isn't quite prehistoric.

I love being called a 'pommie b'stard' at work. I wouldn't like to post on here what I call them as its not very PC but they love it. LOL Besides I tend to find that the ones that call you it are generally first generation aussies anyway. Another thing that winds them up is not calling Australia by name but refering to it as 'the colony'. ;-)

Give as good as you get and you'll fit in just fine. Once you've bitten back they tend to lay off the abuse and give you some respect. Odd lot but its probably the best working atmosphere I've experienced in all the workplaces I've ever worked in.

Pete

Guest Tterrier81

just give as good as u get, callin them convicts always seems to hit the right nerve, or as i like to do just remind them who owns there country, or wind them up by sayin there not smart enough to come up with there own flag :smile:

Guest Guest5035
or wind them up by sayin there not smart enough to come up with there own flag :smile:

they did three quarters of it and left a silly thing in the top left hand corner:smile:

stevo

Much of Australia, its people, its attitudes are stuck firmly in the past. It's like 1970's Britain & not in a good way. I won't be lowering my standards, morals or ethics just to fit in with a bunch of prehistoric morons.

Seems a tad harsh!

I think some people might be looking at this through pommie b eyes lol. As Diane pointed out this is a different country and people use words differently. For example, I find people use "pom, wog, leb" etc to describe themselves and often poke fun at the perceived characteristics of 'their' group. They tend to be proud of their heritage and group whilst maintaining fierce pride in being Australian.

It all comes down to whether it's just good-natured banter or someone being mean. And if it's the latter then it doesn't really matter what they call you, it's just plain rude!

Don't reckon you want to be too sensitive...anyway, I thought everyone loved the idea that Australia is less PC (not that it really is IMHO!)

LC

Guest zamunda

Where ever you go in the world there will be the minority that's prejudicial. Just a minority though!

Don't let it get to you.

Nothing compares to what the old South Africa was like. We never lived there, but (living in a neighbouring country) travelled often to South Africa in the "old days". Prejudice was every where. A system in place. During one visit I was with my cousin (asian) and his British wife. At the border we were told that my cousin's wife could not ride in the same car as us because we were of a different colour. We decided to turn back. Today we still talk about it and have a good laugh :)

Guest guest3462

It's on Sid Donald Bradman drive behind Ikea.........