Coming to Adelaide in May

Guest ozdreamsa

Guest ozdreamsa

After a lot of thinking and worries, finally decided to move in May. Still really very concerned about our new life in oz. Those what if kind of thoughts are still killing me. I guess work-life balance will be much better than rest of the world, what do you guys think?

Hi

Its the unknown that can be a worry - but if its something you want to do - then you have to give it ago. The worst that can happen, is that you can always go back to the UK.

We have been here over 4 years and I have loved every moment - there have been tough times - but there are tough times wherever you are. Id always wanted to live in Australia and Id always lived away from family, so I think the move for me was alot easier.

Everyones story is different. For me, I wouldnt want to live anywhere else.

Good luck with your journey

Sarah

I guess work-life balance will be much better than rest of the world, what do you guys think?

Perhaps because this is one of the things migrants look for when making the move, they're amongst the group of people most likely to achieve it? Plenty on here seem to have the balance right based on answers to previous posts like this one. Migrants aside, I'm not sure why Australia would have a better work life balance than anywhere else.

There was a news article out last week suggesting that Australians work some of the longest hours in the world (research done by the Australia Institute), and I've heard this sort of thing quite a few times. Not too sure of the reality, though. Certainly where I work everyone puts in the hours.

Jim

Guest ozdreamsa

Thank u for sharing experience and thoughts. 40 hourly does not sound bad as long as weekend are off. How many paid holidays are there in oz per calendar year?or, that depends on the company rule which varies?

I am working in Japan and normally I only have 10 paid weekdays per year and have to work more than 40 hours per week. Plus a terrible commute time each day.

I know I'd be there tomorrow but we have a 2 year plan in action and are part way through it. Hubby has stuff he wants to do cycling and triathlon/iron man wise here in Europe before we head back. And we hope to have another baby before we leave also.

But if it were not for the 2 year plan we agreed on, I think we'd be on our way as soon as possible. And not because we are unhappy here but because we just want to be there.

Its natural to have doubts, major wobbles and fret over it all. Its a big move and you've put a lot into it happening. Allow the wobbles, work through them and don't do anything rash if you do wobble. Talk it over, post here, give yourself time to work through things properly and all that.

go 4 it snifter.......whats the worst that can happen...?...you dont like it you can always come back!!...better 2 of tried and failed than 2 of never of tried at all...x

Well for hubby its going home. For me, its moving overseas (again). For our son, its leaving the country of his birth and the people and things he knows. But he knows some of the family in Aus, seems them yearly in person and weekly or so on Skype. He is young enough he'll adapt to wherever we are. Both hubby and I hope that once we are there, that is it till our son finishes school/uni. But we are open to going elsewhere or coming back to the UK if we feel its better for us as a family. But we are having this 2 year plan so we can do all the things we hope to do before we set off the other side of the world. Both of us are happy with this and know the time will pass soon enough. We'd rather do it this way than have to flit back and forth for hubby to achieve some of the things he wants to do. And the baby, well, if it happens it'd be wonderful, if not, well, cross that bridge and all that.

Guest Barney Rubble

All valid points above; have just returned a few weeks ago from the UK (trip back for dad's 80th.)

Had a fantastic time, came back a bit homesick sure but here or there, a bit like heads or tails if you don't make an effort.

Be positive and open, you could get just as depressed with the sunshine as you can the rain, trust me !

We came out in 88 as 2, went back as 3 in 90 for a wedding and weighed up the choices, fairly easy, we are still here.

Never had computers or forums to help us out so there's another + for you, If you like being outside, then this is definately a winner.

Another + is the internet, can get stacks of info from there and here too as i am finding out !