Where do I need to be to keep horses?

Guest debnz

I wasn't really sure where to post this question - hopefully it'll find someone here who can help.

What area would I need to move to where I can graze and look after 2 horses? It would either need to be somewhere where I can affordably rent a property (& eventually buy) with a bit of land, or somewhere close to grazing land/stables to rent. And ideally somewhere where there is some good riding.

I have 2 children and would probably be working at one of the hospitals in Adelaide (Womens & Children), so I also need to be easily accessible to decent schools & activities for the kids and a reasonable commute. I have family in the Barrossa, so anywhere in that direction would be good too.

We're not townies by any means, but I don't want to be too far away from things - my daughter will soon be hitting the teenage years and I don't want to be ferrying her around great distances to activities etc.

Any suggestions would be great!

Guest heatherb

Hi there, I am also looking for a suitable yard for riding and hacking once I get out there (May), one of my social outlets so I can start meeting like minded folk. I have checked out a few yards offering astigment on web sites but I think it's best to visit the yards once I get there to see if they have the facilities and hacks I want, some yards are listed on Google earth . Not sure from you post if you have arrived already or are preparing to go out? Happy to keep in touch to compare notes. I am rather spoilt over here as the yard I go to has 80 horses and is 10 minutes from where I live. Note you would need about 7 acres/horse.

It's in the other direction to the Barossa - but a good friend of mine has two horses in Cherry Gardens and Scott Creek. She had a huge property and kept them there but now has moved to a smaller place and houses them with someone nearby for a hiring fee. It's in the Adelaide Hills area. She used to work in the city and it took her approximately 30 minutes to drive to work if she timed it right, using the South Eastern Freeway.

Went to a good riding stables the other day out near Hahndorf (about 20 mins from the city) - I think I put somethng in Recommendations so have a look there. As you have worked out, livery is known as Agistment here (sp?) so you could try a yellowpages search for that.

Also, a good site for country properties with land is http://www.countryestates.com.au

Thanks everyone. I've actually been looking around Gawler as it's reasonably close to my sister. If we move, it won't be until the end of the year, but a big part of the decision will be if I can bring the horses and afford to keep them! We'll probably rent for a while before we buy anyway (although I'd LOVE some of the properties bookmarked!)

From what I understand, there are some quite strict restrictions on keeping horses & livestock in the Adelaide Hills, but it's good to know there seem to be quite a few options.