Medicals

Guest jakeandshelley

Guest jakeandshelley

Hi,

does anyone know if you can get medicals done if you are pregnant? I know it involves an x-ray but just wondered if that part could be postponed?

Regards,

Shelley Scott

Guest railman2404

would imagine if you phone the nominated doctors they will answer questions prior to booking. I remember when we were asked for our medicals there was a time limit to submitting them.

You can have the rest of the medical done but wait to have the X ray once you've given birth afaik. You don't *have* to have it done when pregnant and personally I'd never have an xray when pregnant unless it was a true medical emergency.

And yes, give your Doc's a call and ask what the procedure is to delaying the xray. I know others have done so without issue but am not sure if it then slows up the application process. I've never heard of it being a big problem though.

Hi,

does anyone know if you can get medicals done if you are pregnant? I know it involves an x-ray but just wondered if that part could be postponed?

Regards,

Shelley Scott

Hi Shelley

The Guidance to Panel Doctors states the below

Regards

IrishStew (OH)

9.8 Pregnant women and x-ray examination

All women of reproductive age should be asked about the date of their last menstrual period. Pregnant women should be advised that they have the option of deferring their chest x-ray, and therefore the finalisation of their visa application, until after the birth, or they may undergo the examination with abdominal shielding. The Australian Government does not recommend the taking of chest x-rays during pregnancy. A full explanation of the risks must be provided by the panel doctor or the pregnant woman’s treating doctor before she makes a decision as to whether to proceed.

If, after a full explanation of the risks, a pregnant woman elects to undergo a chest x-ray, forms 26 and 160 should be endorsed with appropriate comments. The following guidelines should be followed:

1. the film must be full-sized (page 47)
  2. the field size must be strictly limited to include the chest only (that is, not the abdomen or head)
  3. the panel doctor and radiographer need to note that consent has been obtained, and
  4. abdominal shielding must be used.

For applicants who choose to delay the x-ray until after childbirth, reference should be made on form 26 to the presence or absence of any history or clinical evidence of TB and the countries in which the applicant has lived in the past five years.

In exceptional circumstances (for example, for compassionate and compelling reasons), the Australian Government may issue an emergency visa to a pregnant applicant without a radiological examination. Applicants seeking an exemption should contact their case officer.

Guest jakeandshelley

Thank you for your replies. Just a little wait for our medicals then, what's another 6 months when we have waited this long already!!Lol.

Regards, Shelley.

Guest foxesonthemove

Hi Shelley

About this time last year we had our medicals booked when we found out I was pregnant. Our application was deferred until after the birth of our son in September. Our case officer got back in contact with us when he was about 6 weeks old and we have since completed our police checks and medicals in December, so we are now back on track!

Alex

Guest jakeandshelley

Hi,

great to hear from someone who was in our position, thanks you have put my mind at ease! Not long til you get your visa then, worth the wait.

Thanks again, Shelley.

• 1 month later...

we were the same - i found out the day before our medicals, we had to complete some paperwork and postpone the medicals because remember they are oly valid for a certain period of time which directly influences when you have to enter the country to activate your visa. Good luck with it all - this is the best move we have made for us and the kids (have since gone on to have a baby here in oz - which has been really easy and has all been covered by medicare).

cheers

leigh-Anne