Anyone flying to Adelaide begining of April?

tori0609

Hi Tori , we haven't set a date for moving yet I was hoping it was going to be april but I don't think it will be now were waiting on the house to sell. We have a buyer but her buyers have pulled out so were just waiting at the moment . Im taking our 2 dogs with us and they've had all there jabs and were ready to go financialy it all just hangs on the house very frustrating . Are you shipping alot of stuff over ? If you are what company have you decided to use ? We have had 2 quotes and not sure who to go with . I see from your profile you live in wiltshire , im from wiltshire as well were abouts are you ?

Caz x

Hi Caz - oh that must be SO frustrating! We only rent so we luckily don;t have that problem, really feel for you though, must be hard. Hope you manage to get your house sorted soon, we are in Salisbury - whereabouts are you? Do you have any children and have you any idea what area you are looking at to live in? So much to research yet you can;t quite do it until you get there can you?! x

Guest eclare
Hi all

Anyone else flying out at the begining of April? Would love to hear how you are all doing and coping with all the sorting out beforehand - it seems to be never-ending!

x

We are due to fly out 20th/21st March. We move out of our house in 2 weeks and have been decluttering like crazy in preparation for shipping 25th Jan. Pretty much there now, just glad we had the luxury of the xmas break to get it all organised. We have a flat that we will move into for a month or so before we start our UK tour to say our farewells! Not feeling too stressed at the moment, enjoying planning our trip en route and some time in Melbourne with relatives on arrival. Have booked our short-term furnished accommodation in Adelaide for 3 wks and arrive there 21st April (via Great Ocean Road). Hopefully our container will be there a week or so later and we can find a long term rental reasonably quickly!. Have you booked flights etc yet? I'm waiting for the stress to kick in any day now as I prepare to leave my home of 11 years, and the only home our babies have every know!?

That's great that you're spending time visiting and saying goodbyes before you go - I think the long wait we have at the other end for our 'stuff' to arrive will feel like forever as the shipper is coming 2nd April, we leave 5th April, going to Singapore for a few days then arrive Adelaide 11th April! We have booked a little flat to stay in for a month and really hoping that we can find my hubby a job and a long-term rental in that time though not sure if that's being a bit greedy - really hoping we can do it in a month! We're not taking much furniture as our sofa is pretty old and so are kitchen appliances but all of our 'stuff' is coming with us! I go through stages of being really stressed out then not in my head at all (perhaps denial!?) Scary stuff isn;t it! Who are you flying with? Have you flown with your little ones before?

Hi ,im in salisbury aswell thats funny ! Yes I have a little boy only 7 months ,do you have kids ? One of my friends cousins lives in adelaide and she put in touch with her through facebook and she was really helpfull on areas . I like halet cove , christies beach , aldinga and my other half likes aberfoyle park , morphett vale all those sorts of areas I suppose south adelaide. We went over 2 yrs ago for a vist and said we came from salisbury here and everyone said don't live in salisbury there . Have you booked your flights yet ? Have you got a job lined up ?

Guest silverload

Hi everyone,

We too are moving out to Adelaide at the start of April, although it was meant to be February, but I couldn't be released from work early (Primary teacher). We live in Cumbria and have had one quote from Pickfords and are waiting for Britannia and Steeles this week, then hopefully we will choose which we think is best for us. We sign the contract to sell our house next Friday, so hopefully will be out of our home of 15 years in a couple of weeks, although that will be a sad day as I absolutely love our house! We have not booked any accommodation in Adelaide yet (think I was wanting to wait until we had signed on the dotted line for our house and not jinx anything), but will have to get our fingers out quick I think. We will probably fly with Singapore airlines and will book those flights next weekend. As for everything else, we will look to sort that out when we get there, although have little idea at the minute where to start. So much to do, so little time left now to do it. How is everyone feeling at the moment? I go through different emotions each day, woke up this morning feeling sick, I think it would be easier if I had a job to go to but that will need to be sorted when we get there to as will a school for our 12 year old daughter. Hope everything goes well for everyone, I wish you all good luck with the move.

Annette x

Guest leeannekays

Hi silverload, I feel different emotions everyday, the closer it gets the more excited I am feeling however there is still so much to do. We sold our house and waiting for it to go through, we love our home. We have shipping withJohn Mason and out things our insured with a different insurance company.

God luck with it all.

Leeanne x

Guest eclare
Scary stuff isn;t it! Who are you flying with? Have you flown with your little ones before?

We

We flew to Las Vegas for a family wedding when our eldest was 2. It involved 3 flights and was a nightmare, Tom never slept a wink, but thats Tom! Both have flown to Europe but nothing too long. Flying with Emirates and stopping in Dubai for 2 nights, then stopping in Singapore for 4 nights to break the journey for them and have some chill time. Also planning to fly at night from UK to Dubai in the hope that they might actually sleep for most of the flight. Also doing this on the Singapore/Melbourne leg of the trip...hope it works or we will be rather unpopular! Good luck.

Hi ,im in salisbury aswell thats funny ! Yes I have a little boy only 7 months ,do you have kids ? One of my friends cousins lives in adelaide and she put in touch with her through facebook and she was really helpfull on areas . I like halet cove , christies beach , aldinga and my other half likes aberfoyle park , morphett vale all those sorts of areas I suppose south adelaide. We went over 2 yrs ago for a vist and said we came from salisbury here and everyone said don't live in salisbury there . Have you booked your flights yet ? Have you got a job lined up ?

Hi Caz, that's funny tha you're in Salisbury too! We're just outside in Wilton - where are you? We have a little girl who's nearly 2 so similar in age - We're not sure on areas but like you looking at the south - Happy Valley, Hallet Cove - all of those areas you mentioned! We have booked John Mason as our shipper & have booked our flights with Singapore Airlines but stopping off in Singapore for just under a week - we went to Singapore before and like it and think it will be easy (ish?!) with a toddler - No job lined up so that's a bit scary - just want to get in our long-term rental and get on with it now!

Hi Tori , we live in wilton aswell its a small world ! I've been reading what some others have said about breaking up the flight a bit we were just going to fly straight to melbourne and have a week there and pick up the dogs from quarintine and then drive the great ocean rd to adelaide . Now im thinking should we break the flight up instead and stay in singapore for a few nights . This is going to be my little boys first time flying and our first time flying with a baby I think it might be a nightmare . I know what you mean about not having a job lined up it is very scarey its the bit that worrys me the most .Whats your other halfs occupation ? My boyfriend is asking me he thinks he might know him .

I just want to get out there and start living it aswell feel like i've been talking about it for ages and now just want to get on with it even though I do have my days were I think oh god are we doing the right thing but then I think of my little boy and how nice it will be for him to grow up there . Good luck Tori if you get out there before me which you probably will it would be nice to here how you get on .

Guest eclare

If you have a young family I would recommend checking out Sentosa Island in Singapore for a stopover. Very family friendly, fun and it has a beach unlike the rest if Singapore. Not much further than city from airport.

Hi all

Anyone else flying out at the begining of April? Would love to hear how you are all doing and coping with all the sorting out beforehand - it seems to be never-ending!

x

Hi Tori,

We're hoping to be heading out there end of March/beginning of April this year. OH has a job which he needs to get out to start asap but we haven't managed to sell the house yet...AAAARGH! Fingers crossed that things move soon on our house otherwise we're a bit stuck!

Hope to see you out there around Easter!

Lyn x

If you have a young family I would recommend checking out Sentosa Island in Singapore for a stopover. Very family friendly, fun and it has a beach unlike the rest if Singapore. Not much further than city from airport.

Thansk for that Clare! We have visited Singapore but not Sentosa so looking forward to taking a peek!

Hi Tori , we live in wilton aswell its a small world ! I've been reading what some others have said about breaking up the flight a bit we were just going to fly straight to melbourne and have a week there and pick up the dogs from quarintine and then drive the great ocean rd to adelaide . Now im thinking should we break the flight up instead and stay in singapore for a few nights . This is going to be my little boys first time flying and our first time flying with a baby I think it might be a nightmare . I know what you mean about not having a job lined up it is very scarey its the bit that worrys me the most .Whats your other halfs occupation ? My boyfriend is asking me he thinks he might know him .

I just want to get out there and start living it aswell feel like i've been talking about it for ages and now just want to get on with it even though I do have my days were I think oh god are we doing the right thing but then I think of my little boy and how nice it will be for him to grow up there . Good luck Tori if you get out there before me which you probably will it would be nice to here how you get on .

I just asked my hubby and I think he knows who your boyfriend is too! it is a small world isnt it!? My hubby is a bricklayer - I think exactly the same - I'm SURE our little ones will have a better future than here in Wilton!! (I may take a while to adjust to it!) Have you got any short term rental places narrowed down? we are staying at midway apartments as much cheaper then the rest of them and close to the city centre though they have mixed reviews so a bit worried - just trying to think it's only for a matter of weeks if it's not very nice!

Will you be looking for work out there?

Hi Tori,

We're hoping to be heading out there end of March/beginning of April this year. OH has a job which he needs to get out to start asap but we haven't managed to sell the house yet...AAAARGH! Fingers crossed that things move soon on our house otherwise we're a bit stuck!

Hope to see you out there around Easter!

Lyn x

Oh fingers crossed for you!!!! Must be so stressful for you - SURE it will all be worth it when you get there - after all this sorting, packing, form filling, visa paying etc we're all going to need a beach and a glass of wine!

Hope to catch up with you on the other side!

My boyfriends name is chris forde ask your hubby if he knows him . April isn't long it will fly by you will be over there before you know it .I have just emailed homes down under they have 4 fully furnished propertys so im hoping to stay in one of them . I wasn't sure how long it will take to find a long term rental iv'e heard it can be quite hard cause the good ones go really quickly .

Yes he knows him! We bumped into him at Budgens in the summer! I'm worrying the long-term rental finding will take a while too! we will have to swap ideas/opinions on places! Thankfully there are SO many posts on this form for opinions/ideas etc on areas to live in! Plus I got a great selectiion of lists to put together for all those things to do from here (happy to email accross if you want to compare?) x

Guest jadunlop

We are a famlly of 4 aged 38, 37, 7 & 5 leaving Glasgow on the 18th March for Adelaide. We still have to sell our house but will have to let it if we can't get it sold in time. I have a job to start in April and we are staying with friends for a couple of weeks until we find a rental. We're flying with Singapore Airlines which gives us the 40kg baggage allowance. Logistics getting everything ready to move is a nightmare but we'll get through it! Well, we have to eh? I think we are going to use Anglo Pacific for the removals. I guess some of us noobs moving over will meet at some monthly get together down the beach. So we look forward to meeting some of you guys!

We are a famlly of 4 aged 38, 37, 7 & 5 leaving Glasgow on the 18th March for Adelaide. We still have to sell our house but will have to let it if we can't get it sold in time. I have a job to start in April and we are staying with friends for a couple of weeks until we find a rental. We're flying with Singapore Airlines which gives us the 40kg baggage allowance. Logistics getting everything ready to move is a nightmare but we'll get through it! Well, we have to eh? I think we are going to use Anglo Pacific for the removals. I guess some of us noobs moving over will meet at some monthly get together down the beach. So we look forward to meeting some of you guys!

Sounds very much like our position although we haven't taken the plunge and booked our flights yet. OH will probably go out first to get started with the job in the next month or so then we will follow once the house is sold/let. Agree with you about the logistics of it all......such a nightmare, especially trying to sell the house which feels so beyond our control......keep trying to stay focused on the end-goal!

• 1 month later...

Hi All we are moving to Adelaide on the 2nd of April flying from Scotland we have a place sorted in Salisbury. Would love to get in touch with others we have a 2 year old daughter so nice to kiddies together and us of course! Drop us a thread.

Gary,Shiv,Brooklyn:cool:

Guest beckeithking

Hi all,

My husband and I are still awaiting his spousal visa confirmation having only recently put it in.

We live in scotland and I am interested in hearing how you are all getting on with booking moving companies and flights.

Have you booked one way flights? How did you get increased luggage allowances?

Good luck in settling in in Adelaide - grew up on the Eyre peninsula and studied in Adelaide - but 13 yrs away I will see how I settle back in!!

Is anyone having trouble selling their house? Ours not on market yet but not really selling in the borders.

Let me know how you get on.

Bec x

Guest RobJ1978

going to Singapore for a few days then arrive Adelaide 11th April!

Hi, we are hoping to arrive on 11th April, leave Singapore on 10th April at 23.50.

Nic