Research research research

Guest Paula H

Guest Paula H

:arghh::arghh::arghh:

Hi

Who can advise me on where on earth to start with research. Although i have been researching where to go in Adelaide now for over a year I still am not to sure on what to do.

We have narrowed it down to a few areas that we like the sound of but even now do I go where the schools are best (how do i find that out), where the work is (wont know about that yet),

argh im so confused I dont even know what im writing about now lol

We are coming out in Sept, and we want to move to south adelaide, will need a short term rental in the first instance. I have 3 kids age 12, 10 and 3, my OH is a Carpenter (so excited) booked our flights today.

Enough waffling from me (for now) :biggrin:

Guest Jo&Phil

It is really hard to make those sort of decisions until you're here ... what looks/sounds nice on the internet may not appeal once you are here.

Sometimes areas are great but don't quite work with your lifestyle. From our experience, we were going to move the Adelaide Hills where we have lots of friends but found it didn't work so well for other aspects of our life so stayed put.

If you have an idea of where you are likely to be working (ie: if you're going to be coming into the city) I would recommend test-driving the route/transport method during peak times to see if you think this would work for you on a daily basis as well as checking out leisure options that suit your lifestyle

Loads of schools, less work - base yourself somewhere central and find work, then used that as a basis to find a suburb which won't give you hours sitting in a car on your daily commute.

Why south Adelaide, as a matter of interest? What if you are offered a brilliant job in north Adelaide?

I, like you, spent hours and hours on every web site I could find which mentioned Adelaide.

Decided before we left that Coromandel Valley was the place we would settle. Decision made. Every decision made in the UK was then based on Coromandel Valley - schools, work, shops, etc, etc.

When we arrived, we met up with friends in Coromandel Valley and immediately realised that it wasn't for us - Happy Valley was perfect for us and that is where we have settled.

All of the research you do will be thrown out of the window when you arrive.

Just enjoy the ride.

Hi Paula

Its the big old question - where to settle! We knew we wanted to be close to the beaches and we had a budget for a house and the houses that were in our budget seemed to be in the southern suburbs - which is where we are.

I can help you out with the short term rental - we have a 4 bed in Moana and currently are available in September.

Check out our website and let me know if I can help at all.

Good luck!

Sarah

Thank you for your replies, was just looking at short term rental and they seem extremely expensive :(

Paula, they may appear expensive but there are many outgoings to consider.

For example - if a house normally rents unfurnished on a long term lease for $350 per week although is offered as a holiday rental for $600, the landlord has the additional burden of the gas, electricity, water rates, council rates, telephone, insurance, enhanced maintanance costs, additional cleaning and that is not taking into account the periods when the property or actually furnishing it in the first place.

Trust me, no one gets rich owning a holiday rental.

Good luck.

School League Tables - http://www.myschool.edu.au

Crime Maps - http://www.ocsar.sa.gov.au/maps.html

Housing Prices - http://www.abelrealty.com.au/_excel/LGAFrames2011_12.htm

Although these websites can help, it's really only a cold snap shot of information, you really need see and experience what areas are like. For us recently we went to look at new houses at Craigburn Farm, and although the estate was fantastic and houses were very expensive, the reality was for us it would be too boring. No pub within Walking, shops were a 10 min drive and no cafe's and restaurants. And some areas to the north or south are like this, and this does suit some people, but we like a little social interaction mixed with alcohol. Everyone to their own....

Guest guest9403

i think its too hard to decide from back home were to live....we are here 3 mths and everywhere looked fabulous on-line...ideally we wud hav loved de beach but de property for our budget were nothing more than a garden shed...lol...we settled on golden grove which is lovely and a fab house...but....once lease is up im still gonna try for henley beach,luv it,luv de area,but i do think you hav to be here to decide and go hav a look at areas etc...we had'nt a clue and after 3 mths are still finding our feet and gettin used to places and roads,so best advice wait till u arrive if thats an option :biggrin:

Hi

We came across with a fairly open mind on where we would like to settle. The first few days in between organising TFN and medicare we toured Adelaide looking at areas and getting a feel for things. To be honest there were lots of places and areas we would have been more than happy living in and from the schools we considered and looked at more than one were fantastic!

There was one area we had previously discounted but once we were here and looked at it it more than fitted our way of living and ticked all our boxes and thats where we will be living.

Agree with others; you do really have to be here on the ground to decide.

hth

Sarah

Thank you for your replies, was just looking at short term rental and they seem extremely expensive :(

Short term will be as its usually all inclusive (kind of like a self catering holiday) and you only take it for a couple of weeks.

Have you look into alternatives like camping parks and so on with chalets? Might be a bit further out but for a couple of weeks it could work while you find an area for a longer term let. Don't know if cost wise it'll save you much either.

IMO (and please no b**chy comments as I'm stating facts here) Caravan Parks such as Adelaide Shores, which to me is the one of the best in the area, is no competition (price wise) compared to a 3 bedroom fully furnished house with Roo Rentals or any other of the fantastic "Short Term Lets" on PIA.

Check out this link http://www.adelaideshores.com.au/accom/resort/default.aspx Minimum price $160pn for a 2 bed cabin. 3 Bed Delux $300pn in peak season.

Roo Rentals - $100pn (cheaper for extended stays) for 3 bed (sleeps 6) detatched house in a quiet circuit of houses, is just what you need after emigrating over.

Families have so much to do, as they hit the ground running...........staying in a caravan park with (possibly) bogans living next door, wouldn't be my ideal start to a new life here.

Judi

IMO (and please no b**chy comments as I'm stating facts here) Caravan Parks such as Adelaide Shores, which to me is the one of the best in the area, is no competition (price wise) compared to a 3 bedroom fully furnished house with Roo Rentals or any other of the fantastic "Short Term Lets" on PIA.

Check out this link http://www.adelaideshores.com.au/accom/resort/default.aspx Minimum price $160pn for a 2 bed cabin. 3 Bed Delux $300pn in peak season.

Roo Rentals - $100pn (cheaper for extended stays) for 3 bed (sleeps 6) detatched house in a quiet circuit of houses, is just what you need after emigrating over.

Families have so much to do, as they hit the ground running...........staying in a caravan park with (possibly) bogans living next door, wouldn't be my ideal start to a new life here.

Judi

Fair comment :) I threw out the option mainly as the OP didn't seem keen on the prices for short term rentals. TBH if we needed to we'd go a short term rental over a holiday park option. Luckily we have family to stay with so its not a worry for us. But I know the idea of paying higher rates for a short term self catering makes some people baulk. But they'd do that if on holiday in the UK in a holiday cottage, pay a higher rate. But it'd be cheaper at a holiday park in a chalet or some such.

I've only done the holiday park type thing down at Victor Harbor for a long weekend a couple of years back and it was lovely. Small chalet but slept 4 and as we were out most of the time it was fine. But it was a mini break for us as we went with family for a wedding. So not like we needed to be back in Adelaide hunting down a let or anything.

I received a call last week from people staying at the Woodcroft caravan park and they were desperate to find somewhere else to stay...immediately!

There are some really good parks and most of it is personal opinion but...

There's no comparison between a furnished HOME and a caravan or chalet. It's so important when families arrive that their first experiences are good and that the kids settle. The caravan parks may be like a holiday but really they are far more expensive than a furnished home and don't have all the essentials that you need to put the pices of a new life together (phone, internet, mail address, support) and they are not a home.

With rates between $85 for a cottage and $107 for house with a pool furnished rentals are really good value.

Tamara

School League Tables - http://www.myschool.edu.au

Crime Maps - http://www.ocsar.sa.gov.au/maps.html

Housing Prices - http://www.abelrealty.com.au/_excel/LGAFrames2011_12.htm

Although these websites can help, it's really only a cold snap shot of information, you really need see and experience what areas are like. For us recently we went to look at new houses at Craigburn Farm, and although the estate was fantastic and houses were very expensive, the reality was for us it would be too boring. No pub within Walking, shops were a 10 min drive and no cafe's and restaurants. And some areas to the north or south are like this, and this does suit some people, but we like a little social interaction mixed with alcohol. Everyone to their own....

Pub within walking distance!!!!! now thats what I'm looking for, hadnt even considered Morphett Vale which I assume is where you are? what about schooling etc...... We are over for reccie in three weeks so may well put this area on the itinerary. The kids are without a doubt our number one concern but we feel that we need to be in an area which is similar to where we live in the UK in relation to social and sporting activities so whilst it is typically english a pub and a gym are on the top of my list..........