Shall it be Happy Valley?

Guest jadunlop

Guest jadunlop

Hi there, we are coming over on the 20th March. (RSMS 119) I have a job in Mile End which is a back shift Mon - Thur. We have 2 daughters aged 4 and 7. The youngest will actually be five 2 days before we set off on the 18th March.

We keep looking at different places to try and get a rental, school, shops, play parks and travel to the CBD and my work. Happy Valley seems to come up all the time and I just wondered if people who either stay there or have stayed there could give us some tips. I actually planned on cycling to work (I do here and it is 8 miles) but starting at 3pm and finishing at 1am, will it be ok for cycling?

We are open to other suburbs but not any further south than Hallett Cove (we have friends there).

My wife works for First Direct Bank which is owned by HSBC and we hope that after we have managed to settle she might be able to get work through the HSBC in Adelaide.

All thoughts and suggestions are appreciated.

Regards

Jim

I would say thats about 20 km each way ok going good down hill bits but comming back would be very hard,Take about an hour to go and about 1 1/2 back i would say, South road is murder at the best of times but would not like to do it on a bike. You have got to think about the summer heat some days it would be about 35 + deg when your going to work.Loads of nice places to stay within cylcling distance of mile end but would say happy valley is not one of them just to far.

So you are deciding where to live without haveing visted an area....bizarre to say the least.

If you had a job down that way I coud understand, but Mile End is 'pretty central'.

Do you want the beach? If so, there are closer places.

Do you want the Hills? If so, there are closer places.

What are you actually looking for?

If you want to cycle to work, your best bet would be to look for somewhere along the Torrens River corridor - from Highbury in the North East through to Henley in the West. My OH cycles from here to Richmond (not far from Mile End) every day and there are cycle paths all along the Torrens Linear Park, and through the city parklands, so he has to spend minimum time on the road, avoiding the joy that is the Adelaide car driver as much as possible! At 3pm you have the added delight of school run drivers too!!! I think I hear reports on the traffic news about once a week about car/cycle collisions so unless you have high life insurance and your wife has plans....

There are some nice places to the west side as well such as West Lakes and Semaphore that would be worth looking at.

As Adelaidenow says, wait till you get here before making any decisions.

Guest Jo&Phil

Perhaps you could rent something for 3 months or so and get your bearings before committing to an area ... not ideal with children needing to be in school, but perhaps feasible at their age.

Mile End is almost the city and is well serviced by trains/buses but, as others have said, it's a long cycle ride at 1 in the morning. If you are keen to cycle to work you might be better off looking at suburbs closer to the city - around Mitcham, Col Light Gardens, Lockleys, Glenelg etc .......... all of which are within easy access of your friends in Hallet Cove too.

Guest jadunlop
So you are deciding where to live without haveing visted an area....bizarre to say the least.

If you had a job down that way I coud understand, but Mile End is 'pretty central'.

Do you want the beach? If so, there are closer places.

Do you want the Hills? If so, there are closer places.

What are you actually looking for?

I was over for 2 weeks in December 2010. I stayed in Hallett Cove with friends. To tell the truth I don't really know what we are looking for. It seems to end up in a cycle (Distance To Work - Good Schools - Good Area To Live In - Shops - Distance To Beach - Distance To Work..........) round and around we go. I actually partake in a spot of Geocaching and have been in Happy Valley, Glengowrie as well as a few other places but I've never been on the North side of the city except to go to West Lakes Mall. We will eventually get a car so the cycling to work thing is not too important!

We really need to have a few places where to start looking and I guess it will take it's own course of where we end up.

We look at realestate web site to look for suitable rental properties but can't really decide what suburbs to look at. I guess we will just get over then start looking at what is available.

Regards

Jim