Arrival report !

Guest pixie7

Well hello all! Its finally my turn!!

We arrived on Tuesday at 6am :wideeyed: so it was lovely to be met by Dianne from Warm welcome- our rental place in Warradale. The flight was shattering- neither of us slept much.. Singapore airlines were great tho.

Di dropped us at our house which is lovely and has everything we need and is in a great location- 10 mins to beach, 10 mins to Marion Westfield shopping centre, 3 mins to train into city (25mins ish). After a short nap we got up and out down to the beach which is beautiful- we walked down Jetty Rd Brighton and looked at all the cafes/shops etc and then on to the jetty and along the beach. Di prepared a lovely homecooked meal for us that night so we went and joined her and her hubby Clem (Irish originally) although she was quite happy to pass the meal in for us to eat alone if we wanted. We were in bed by 9pm!!

So since then we have done all the usual stuff medicare/tax file/ ambulance cover/ mobiles/internet. We havent bought a car yet as we will wait and see- we think Chris will be working in the city and I wont be working for a few months yet. We have started house hunting- we are going cheap and cheerful to begin with as neither of us have jobs yet and its scary! Although Chris has interviews tomorrow and Tuesday to register with agencies.

So first impressions- love it! Clean, relaxed and very friendly people. Enjoying the beaches and cafe culture and the weather is gradually getting hotter- into the 30's. Feels like a foreign country but not too foreign if that makes sense- kinda familiar.

By the way for people in UK trying to work out cost of things etc we have found it the same or bit cheaper here for everything. Westfield Marion centre has loads of cheaper shops and discount stores and we have priced a lot of house things-eg basic dinner set was $9 for 4 of everything, I didnt think towels etc were expensive, tellys $299 for a 42inch. We have shipped things- eg telly and mountain bikes which in hind sight I think we would have been best selling and buying new here. Im glad we didnt ship furniture or too much house stuff. Just my opinion and Im not saying the quality is great- just saying it can be done. Food is the same- been to Coles and no big shocks.

So we have both felt happy and comfortable here immediately- just need a house and jobs and all will be good! Definately the right move for us and no home sickness yet (been skyping away!).

Ps- found our first scary spider today- a red back in the yard!

Will update when we've done more!

Good to hear of your first impressions Helen and Chris, hope all goes well for you and look forward to hearing more about your journey, its really interesting and can't wait to be in the same boat? would you recommend warm welcome, we are a family of four with 2 teenagers? is it expensive?

Guest Adelaide_bound

fabulous update, cheers Pixie, and glad to hear you are loving it :D

(relief for those not shipping lots of stuff that we aren't making a massive mistake either lol)

Guest railman2404

Its good to hear that the prices are similar to here as most of the wanted dowen under make out cost of living food shop etc more expensive.

Hope you enjoy your new life

Guest Jo&Phil

Welcome!

Loved the bit where you said 'feels like a foreign country but not too foreign' .... I think we often forget that Australia IS a foreign country ... while many things will be familiar, it's not UK with nicer weather (lol)

Guest Helchops

Hey Pixie - congratulations on your settling in! I bet it's such a relief after all the planning over the past few months!

We're also staying at Warm Welcome Warradale with Di and Clem, and have booked the house for a few months so that we're secure for a little while with the little one (she's 15 months old!). I had a nightmare the one night of us sleeping on the beach with her cot in the sand, so wanted somewhere medium term straight away!!!

Anyway, glad to hear you're settling in and liking Warradale - have you walked to the beach yet? We were plotting it out on Google Maps and it's 1.7 miles or something - does it feel far?

Guest Helchops
fabulous update, cheers Pixie, and glad to hear you are loving it :D

(relief for those not shipping lots of stuff that we aren't making a massive mistake either lol)

We're shipping literally NOTHING!!! I think we'll be regular customers at Ikea at first!

Paula H heres the link to where we are staying http://www.warmwelcome.webs.com/ shout if you want to know anything.

Helchops- Its lovely! You will love it here- brilliant location to everything. Beach walk takes about 15 mins but its a nice walk- we've done it virtually everyday- didnt realise it was that far! Jetty rd Brighton has shops/cafes/restaurants and bars and the pier- beach is gorgeous and shallow quite far out. Marion shopping centre is about 10 mins in the other direction- that has loadsa shops/restaurants/cinema/swimming pool etc. Also we are so close to the train (not noisy though) and thats easy to jump on to either get nearer to beach (hove station) or Marion centre (Oaklands Park) and about 20 mins to city. Great place!