Perth Job vs Adelaide

Guest LynseyB

Guest LynseyB

Hi!

Our situation is that we were all set to apply to go to Adelaide. Then we had an email from a friend of a friend about a company recruiting in Perth so we travelled four hours in the car so that my husband could attend a job interview in Nov 2011. The interview went well. The problem is we have heard nothing and it now feels like this potential job offer is never going to happen.

Here is our dilemma. We have had the email regarding the extension to the SA state sponsorship validity period which means that SA is still possible. With Adelaide there is no jobs to go to, massive relocation expenses and we don't know anyone. Also, my husband would have to apply for his A-class licence which will probably delay him being able to get a job straight away. With Perth the "potential" job offer will come with all relocation expenses paid and we would know "friends of friends" who already live there. However, Perth doesn't appeal to me as much as Adelaide does for reasons of remoteness, house prices etc. Of course having never been to either place this is all based on perception and not on any real first hand experience.

Just looking for any advice that you can give as we are in limbo just now!

Thanks!

I think if the job offer comes good, then the advantages of moving over with something lined up already are not to be sniffed at - plus having people there you know. You could always move over to Perth, and while you are there plan a holiday over to Adelaide to have a look around - if the job doesn't work out, at least you'd be in Australia, and able to make an informed decision about where you would prefer to be. People in Perth seem to like it, and I think the climate is very similar to ours (we seem to get what they've had a day or so later anyway!), but only you can know what suits you and your family.

PS Australian companies are notorious for taking ages to get back to you after an interview - why not call them and see what the status is?

Guest Mac&Molly

Hey, if the job comes up in Perth I'd take it and apply for SA ss. Am I correct in thinking this would be a 457 visa? If so then your state sponsored 176 for SA can run concurrently with the 457. If the job doesn't materialise then your 176 will still be going through the system and you'll have that to fall back on. Also if the job does turn up and take it then if it's not what you expected and/or Perth isn't to your liking again the 176 is still there as a back up. It's a win win in your situation.

Hey, if the job comes up in Perth I'd take it and apply for SA ss. Am I correct in thinking this would be a 457 visa? If so then your state sponsored 176 for SA can run concurrently with the 457. If the job doesn't materialise then your 176 will still be going through the system and you'll have that to fall back on. Also if the job does turn up and take it then if it's not what you expected and/or Perth isn't to your liking again the 176 is still there as a back up. It's a win win in your situation.

If this is the case then I'd second doing this ^^. Win win it sounds like to me. You cover your bases and if you don't like Perth then you still have SA to turn to.

Personally, although I've never been to Perth, I would choose Adelaide over Perth any day. Sure there is plenty over that way from what people say, but it is remote in that it is the only large city and then its miles along the coast and heading north is pretty bleak from everything I've heard. I'd want to be in a state that has more options than one large city and a coastline that to me seems more limited. I like SA as you can drive to Melbourne, it has coastline also to be explored, Adelaide is on the gulf, inland has options for exploring, camping and so on and a plane ride to any other city is easy enough. Also they are two very different cities and Perth seems much more modern and comtempory and that isn't for me. Its a bit like a last outpost that has everything within it, but once you get a few hours outside, there isn't much going for it. At least to me.

Guest LynseyB

Thanks for the opinions guys! The visa for SA would be the 176 and the WA one would be a 457. Suppose we just want to make a decision now because we don't want to fork out the £3k for the 176 application when we might end up getting the 457 if the job offer materialises. Also concerned about the timings of the visa applications. We are so confused. Everyone keeps talking about how Perth is booming and there are lots of opportunities but I also don't want a massive commute to work and it looks like I would have in WA.

I think if the job comes through then Perth is a must, I personally have never been there but I like the sound of living in a closer time zone to the UK, makes calling home easier, watching sport is easier, and flights to the UK / Asia are cheaper and shorter, that has to be a good thing.

The climate over there is also better then here (IMHO), warmer winters, cooler summers, warmer seas.

The remoteness put me off there too from looking, but without ever living there I'm not sure how much of an issue it is.

If this is the case then I'd second doing this ^^. Win win it sounds like to me. You cover your bases and if you don't like Perth then you still have SA to turn to.

Personally, although I've never been to Perth, I would choose Adelaide over Perth any day. Sure there is plenty over that way from what people say, but it is remote in that it is the only large city and then its miles along the coast and heading north is pretty bleak from everything I've heard. I'd want to be in a state that has more options than one large city and a coastline that to me seems more limited. I like SA as you can drive to Melbourne, it has coastline also to be explored, Adelaide is on the gulf, inland has options for exploring, camping and so on and a plane ride to any other city is easy enough. Also they are two very different cities and Perth seems much more modern and comtempory and that isn't for me. Its a bit like a last outpost that has everything within it, but once you get a few hours outside, there isn't much going for it. At least to me.

Theres nothing much an hours drive from adelaide!!! at least you can drive south in Perth for more than an hour. Went to Perth couple of years ago and if we would have had younger kids would have gone back to have a serious look. House prices arent much different to here when you have had a good look around. Average is higher because of all the million $ waterfront houses, can find a decent suburb for same money as adelaide with better transport. Higher wages and more jobs also. The drawback is that its the other side of oz and more inconvenient and expensive to get to other areas...........if you are likely to do that.

Theres nothing much an hours drive from adelaide!!!

Everyone is different :) I've found things to do and places to go. We've family down in Mt Gambier, hubby likes to go camping so heads inland and other things. And I like that the option to make a trip down to Melbourne is there also if you want to drive it.