Scouting Trip Advice

zebedee

Hello everyone,

I've just submitted our visa application after gaining state sponsorship and we've decided that as things are looking a bit more hopeful, we should scout out Adelaide and just be as sure as we can be that it's where we want to move too. We've been to other cities in Australia but not Adelaide. I just wanted any advice or tips on places to see, people or agencies to talk too, etc? The trip is planned for early June (yes I know its winter out there!) and I am hoping that we have the visa by then so we can validate them and also speak to some recruitment agencies face to face.

A few things we want to check out are: what is the feel of the suburbs (we are from a small town in Devon so wanna be sure we won't feel lost in a city), check out at least one or two towns outside of Adelaide and see if they are commutable to the city, see some of the countryside as we are big fans of camping and bike riding (hence one of the reasons we want to move). Basically, have a plan so we don't waste anytime pondering what to do.

Any help gratefully received!

Best,

Dave

We came for a reccie in August and filled everyday with looking around the area as a tourist and as a family who could end up living here. We rented a place in the centre of Adelaide which gave us a feel for the city. We drove around different areas and happened to find some land, found a builder, chose all our fixtures and fittings and went back to the UK for a rest abd to tell our family that we were definitely moving to Oz! You soon get a feel for areas and our teenage kids told us where they didn't want to live! Come with an open mind but sit down with your family about what they would like etc before you come over. We wanted to live near a beach but with access to main roads for our business, we sorted out our mortgage for our new home from the UK which meant we could start the build before we arrived. Life for us here is amazing, we love it and are slowly settling into Aussie life. I hope that you enjoy your trip and even though its winter it will still be warmer than a UK winter!

Thank you Chris & Helen - your story sounds exciting and very positive! Our children are 10, 9 and 6 so we are leaving them back in the UK (with family obviously!) as we think we can get around and see more (plus its cheaper) - but it's a good idea to ask them what they want - they certainly have an opinion. Good to hear that you can sort some stuff out from the UK too.

Just to say that if you do have the visa you will ALL need to validate before the first entry date, so unless you are planning to move permanently quite soon you might want to take the kids.

First entry date is usually 12 months from the date of the meds or police checks (whichever was soonest).