Adelaide or Perth?

Guest SophieDaly

Guest SophieDaly

Hi guys,

i am new to this site. Me and my family are hoping to immigrate this yr to oz. we have been very pro Perth until this last week, started to look at Adelaide and this also look a great option. So just looking for any advice or opinions on why people chose Adelaide or why you wouldn't choose Adelaide ... And like wise about Perth.

we are a young family in out 30's 2 children one 3 and a 1 yr old. Any help or info would be great thanks

Hi,

We moved to Adelaide for a few reasons, the main one was that when we applied for the visa,they were one of the ones that required chefs, as did Perth and the ACT, we couldn't afford to live in The ACT so that ruled it out and also we wanted to be near the beaches,

Perth has the beaches however we thought we might struggle with the Climate also,well the children and my wife so we didn't look into it that much to be honest.

We have always fancied Adelaide and favoured it. We did heaps of research on locations, education/ schools,living,rentals etc.. And mainly they wanted us and gave us state sponsorship. Was a very stressful process and not an easy one,and did not happen over night.

We are so happy we decided to move here as we love it,everyone is settled and it is still early days however it felt like home once the jet lag had gone.

The saying goes where I lay may hat, lol...

All the bet with your decisions

I think Perth has some advantages over Adelaide.

On Average cooler summers and Warmer winters, though the difference is only slight.

Time zone closer to the Uk, this can make calls to family or watching sport easier

Flying back to Europe can be a few hours shorter and maybe a little cheaper.

In my opinion after looking at Seek at Jobs, Perth seems to have a greater diversity of careers.

It's major downside though is it's isolated location, this was enough to stop me from migrating to their. This can really depend on how far and how much you want to travel and see Australia. I like to visit Sydney / Melbourne / Gold Coast each year. Living in Perth would make those trips very expensive.

Hi

We chose here because, told the climate not so humid, so would be better for the kids, cost of living and cheaper housing. Some people may not agree with that but we like it. Everything goes up at some point, you just have to live within your means and if some things are more expensive, you just don't buy them unless they are on sale. Getting back on subject, we also had state sponsorship. We have talked about living other areas in Oz but nothing else appeals at the moment. SA is our home and cannot see it being otherwise at this moment in time.

I'm surprised at the comments on here suggesting that one of the reasons to choose Adelaide is because of the weather. Sometimes Perth is cooler, other times warmer, but generally the two places have very similar weather - not different enough for most of us to notice (and I've not found Perth to be any more humid than Adelaide).

Not a criticism, just an observation that of all the differences between the two places weather to me seems the least.

Guest Peachie

I loved perth beaches and freo is fab but perth city is dull and empty after 6pm everything is in the suburbs (if you have the cash to live in a good surburb then perth is brill) adelaide city is nicer but smaller not so many hills (in the west bonus for me) but adelaide beaches just not as good as the Indian ocean perth has the best beaches in aus!!!! I stayed in freo on my reckkie and felt at home there but ended up in adelaide due to hubbys work both ciyies very easy to live in public transport better in perth

Guest SophieDaly

Thanks everyone, agree with a lot of what u all said... We also love the idea of Perth but near city and beaches... I don't think this is going to be achieved with the budget we have to by a house... So a big reason why we started looking at Adelaide.

Did u all find work ok? Only thing that worries me is with the "boom" in wa maybe there is more work.... But if there is plenty in Adelaide and cost of living better then I suppose it is a no brainer?

Any other comments or advice or opinions are really welcome... Or anyone that wants to stay in touch ... Great!

oh and what's the English and Irish community like? And stuff for kids?

i am English and OH is Irish... Thanks again to all xx

Guest SophieDaly

Hi ajford,

Where u guys from? Did u find it hard to rent somewhere when u first arrived? At the mo have been drawn to an area sheidow park... Do u know it? Wat do u think?

we can go pretty much anywhere... But we can't afford Sydney, Melbourne... No way due to climate, same for brisbane.. So we were fixed on wa and wa... They're quite similar... But it is the house prices that a serious in wa. Well if u want to live near the city and beach... Seems more affordable iadelaide....

i can't find as many groups to mix with mums etc.. How did u guys find this?

thanks for the info and sorry to bombard with questions... U remember what it is like!

thanks xx

Hi ajford,

Where u guys from? Did u find it hard to rent somewhere when u first arrived? At the mo have been drawn to an area sheidow park... Do u know it? Wat do u think?

we can go pretty much anywhere... But we can't afford Sydney, Melbourne... No way due to climate, same for brisbane.. So we were fixed on wa and wa... They're quite similar... But it is the house prices that a serious in wa. Well if u want to live near the city and beach... Seems more affordable iadelaide....

i can't find as many groups to mix with mums etc.. How did u guys find this?

thanks for the info and sorry to bombard with questions... U remember what it is like!

thanks xx

Were from Leeds originally, we found it hard to find somewhere to start with however we researched the net under rentals,went through heaps of realestate agents then found Century21 and got discount for booking more than 4 weeks,based down Aldinga, was really good place ,lovely area too.

I don't really know Sheidow Park to be Honest,Its not far from Hallet Cove, we are based in Seaford and probably will be for the next few years if not forever, it has everything we need. someone on here will be able to say more on Sheidow park I would imagine,

Regarding meeting people and mixing with them, firstly we have made some wonderful friends like family,,a couple from here,.. Groups to meet etc.. This will come in time,you just need to have a look around, arrange meet ups or attend them and generally be friendly and out going andbe yourself. You will make friends,some good and even ones who might be on the take, we haven't found this personally,however this can be where ever you decide to move to.

We find making friends easy enough, there is always somewhere to go, or volunteer to help somewhere, surf clubs,clubs etc..

Good luck I am sure your going to be ok

I find that the climate is much the same Adelaide or Perth. Milder winters in Perth. Cost of living - - not the difference there used to be & utility bills are cheaper in Perth. Electric not privatised as in SA.

If you want to live close to the beaches in WA look at Rockingham, Port Kennedy & Mandurah. There is a fast electric train from Mandurah to Perth, takes 48mins - - less from Rockingham.

I reckon there's something of a myth about property prices in Perth. Of course if you want to live close to the CBD and beachside you'll pay a premium, but once you get 30-40 mins away from the CBD prices drop a lot and are pretty much on a par with suburbs equally far from Adelaide's CBD.

If you were looking to be close to Adelaide CBD and beachside, say at West Lakes, Tennyson, Henley, Grange, Glenelg or Brighton you'd likely pay a higher price than Adelaide's median and be pretty similar to Perth levels. Perth has more top end suburbs and luxury CBD apartments which pushes its median up, so if Adelaide had three or four extra Glenungas or Burnsides scattered around its median would also be higher, but this wouldn't be a reflection of prices in many other suburbs.

Some on here live close to beach and CBD, but the majority don't - look at how many members of this site are in Seaford, Noarlunga, Aldinga etc. If you were willing to live as far from Perth's CBD as Aldinga is from Adelaide's (in Rockingham, for example), you'd be paying prices pretty much on a level with what you pay here.

Also, I'm not sure why Adelaide is seen as having a lower cost of living – utility rates are higher here as are taxes. Some food is cheaper, some more expensive, usually depending on the season, and overall I'd say there's very little difference.

Jim

I agree with everything that Jim has said. I have lived in Adelaide for 12yrs & Perth for 26yrs. I come to Adelaide twice a year to visit my daughter. We often compare the cost of Utilities which come out much less here. The large supermarket prices are the same & if we buy fruit & vegies at the market they are cheaper both in Adelaide & in Perth.

When you compare house prices I suggest you compare Seaford, Moana & Pt Noarlunga with Rockingham & other suberbs the same distance from the CBD. The advantage here is that we have a fast electric train.

I think you would find that the wages are higher in WA & I have not heard of unemployment problems here yet either.