Pregnant after visa granted

Guest zidden

Had a wee browse through previous posts but couldn't find anything similar. Situation is as follows;

1. Going to activate PR visa in July with a recce trip, but what happens if the missus becomes pregnant after this as we are not planning on moving over completely until 2013 or more?

2. Does anyone know of the costs of giving birth whilst living in Oz on a PR 176 visa?

3. I take it by giving birth in Oz the child will be a National of Australia not UK?

4. Has anyone ever got married after receiving their 175/176 visa - same two applicants on original visa.

Thanks for the info, just that we want to really settle down and maybe start a family, however after being granted our visa we would rather has the least amount of hurdles to jump over again.

Hi,

I got pregnant after my visa was issued and moved to Oz when I was 5 months pregnant.

I didn't advise anyone regarding thiss (not sure if I was supposed to)

We are on a PR visa & the only costs I had were the doctors appointments ( appros $35 after medicare rebate) You can chose to have antenatal care at a public hospital, which would have been free, but the convenience of going to the doctors was the reason I decided to pay.

I had a baby at Flinders, had an ensuite room to myself (theyre free if available) and didnt have any further hospital costs to pay either.

My baby has an Australian passport.

It would be a different matter regarding the visa if you had the baby in UK and then came over.. (sorry cant help with that situation)

Sarah

hi there,

i've done some research into this as well. I found out that even though we have our visas, if we had a baby overseas the baby would then need its own visa. this would mean that you would have to wait until you could get a passport (i think!) for the baby, medicals etc. They advised me the wait time is up to 12 months...so unless you are willing to wait a while, it would be better to have the baby in Oz.

We are currently on a temporary visa and I have just had a baby here. In terms of costs i found a doctor that bulk billed and therefore did not have to pay anything due to the reciprocal agreement, I got on to a group midwifery practice which was fantastic and the midwife did all visits at my house and she delivered my baby in the womens and childrens. I have found the health service here excellent in comparison to my experience in scotland with my first daughter. We are just about to lodge the paperwork to add Aidan to the visa which is supposedly a straightforward process, just had to get a british passport for him which is being processed just now - can do this at the post office. I understand that if you are a permamnent resident your child automatically becomes a citizen (but i would check this out). I also have a friend who is PR and husband is Australian and i know she has uk and Aus passports for all her kids. Not sure about getting married - we did but this was before the visa was actually granted - again i had to fill in some paperwork and the visa went in my married name and new passport.

Hope this helps

Leigh-Anne

We're on a PR visa and our baby is a citizen and holds an Aussie passport.. I think this is the case if you are on a Permanent visa, If you're on a temporary visa, your child has to have a uk passport.

Came in handy when travelling to the uk for a holiday, as we chose the shortest queue at passport control and just said we werent sure which line to join!! lol

Sarah.

Thanks for the info.

We have a permanent visa, so if the situation arises I think we will have the child in Oz. Mainly because the health services would appear better and it would be less complicated in terms of paperwork.