Is an 18 year old a dependant?

Guest The Waite Family

Guest The Waite Family

Hoping to come to Adelaide asap (not even started the process yet but will soon)

Our main worry is our daughter who is 18 (19 in July) can she be included in our visa application as a dependant?

Or does she have to apply in her own right?

Can anyone please help us out it's our biggest concern at the moment (apart from our 15 year old who is refusing to come).

Dianne

:goofy:

-x-

Guest CDJ_Edwards

Hi Dianne

My husband and I are in a similar position to you. Our 19 year old son could not be included on our visa but when we had our first appointment with our Migration Agent we asked them if our son wanted to come to Australia was it feasible. They suggested that our son should came to Oz on a travel/work visa for 12 months and this can be extended 2 years if he undertakes work outside of the cities (not sure of the exact rules) and then once we had been resident for a couple of years we could apply for a last remaining relative visa. Further information on this visa is available at: http://www.immi.gov.au/migrants/family/835/index.htm

I hope this helps. We are keen to move Oz but of course we have reservations about our son we wish we had looked into the idea years ago as it would have been so much easier (the younger one has no choice but to come with us!!).

All the best

Cheryl:v_SPIN:

We are also applying for a visa for our 18 year old. It goes on what age your child was at when the application was put it.

We have not been asked any questions about our 18 year old. We are at the end of our visa now and just waiting for the results of the medicals.

Lynne

We are just starting out also and my son is 18 in 2 weeks, we have been told by all agents we have spoken to that it is not the age when you apply for the visa (like the under 45 age group) but the age at the time the visa is granted. We have been given 3 options:

1. Apply as a dependant which is tricky as you have to prove they rely on you totally for food, clothes, shelter etc.

2. They apply in their own right which again is tricky as have to be on the skills register and undertaken 4 years of work in that occupation (not relevant at 18) so have to wait until about 20 or 21.

3. or as you say apply as a working visa for a year but i have been told you can only extend this to 2 years if they are in seasonal work, they can only work for the same employer for a max of 6 months and to obtain residency you have to have been employed for 12 months or living Oz for 2 years.

So it depends on your circumstance, we are going to get the TRA out of the way and then see what the agent says at the time and choose from there.

Hope this helps, but ask a few agents and see what they say.

Andi

Guest The Waite Family

:shocked: Well, we've just got the answer to our question from Stephen at Go Matilda and Laura is definitely not going to be able to be classed as a dependant

She could go on a student visa which is NOT what she wants to do so now she is :arghh: and saying she's not coming now.

So where do we go from here?

Would she be able to get sponsorship from Adelaide Airport cos she wants to work as cabin crew?

Things are starting to go pear shaped before we've even started. :sad:

And Laura is very upset now - I just don't know what to do :sad:

Dianne

-x-

Dont give up either get her a working visa and apply for lots of jobs for her or apply now for yourselves as once you have your visa you have one year from when you had your meds done to go into Oz and validate the visa and then you have 5 years before you have to go back.

Im also leaving behind a 21 year old and his daughter which will kill me but he has promised to join us as soon as his OT has finished her teaching degree.

We have also been speaking with Stephen who is very helpful, our case is not cut and dried too but if I dont at least try I think I will always regret it.

Good Luck

Guest The Waite Family

just been surfing the net for some ideas on what to do and found Adelaide has a travel and tourism college.

Would Laura be able to enrol on a course there and if so, when and how should she do it?

Everyone seems so downhearted in our house right now :sad:

I've tried to explain to her that even if its not what she wants to do, if it gets her to Oz then what does it matter - I will sweep the streets for free if they let me in! :)