Moving to Adelaide soon, where is the nicest place to settle with good schools

Guest toddsim

Guest toddsim

Hi I have secured a job in Adelaide and would like to know where the best place to settle is with 2 boys.

Ideally we would like to be near the beach, also where is the best schools?

Any help is grateful in advance.

Regards

Si and family :notworthy:

Hi

yeah it completely depends on where your job is and how long you would like your commute to be. Lots of nice areas close to the beach and everything is fairly accessable. Have alook at a map of adelaide coast and go from there.

Well done on the job :)

Guest Guest6899

Port Noarlunga !! sorry everybody will have an opinion on this you need to decide for yourself... :wink: We didn't do a recki, just drove around when arrived to see where we liked. + as others have stated i didn't want a long drive to work so based it around a 40 min drive, you dont want to be driving for hours.

Lisa

The beaches are in the west - north west down to south west. The best (state high) schools are: Glenunga, Marryatville, Brighton and Adelaide High - so east, east, west, central. There are good private schools all over, and even if you lived in the east, or north east, or south east, the beaches are only a short drive away. House prices are probably highest in either the centre, the east, or directly west of the city so a lot will also depend on your budget. Get the best place you can afford, and you will find good schools. Get the cheapest, and you might find less good schools!

As has been said above, the key factor is where you will be working, and how you will be travelling to and from work. That is the one factor that remains fixed - the rest will be easy to find once you use that as a starting point.

A good site to check travel times is the RAA Trip Planner http://www.raa.com.au/maps/ and the only comparison type site for schools is the Myschool website http://www.myschool.edu.au/

Guest Guest75
The beaches are in the west - north west down to south west.

I must say that the best beaches in my opinion are south of Hallett Cove. Southport voted as a best clean beach. Uncluttered and uncrowded.

Easy access and reasonably priced areas as well.:cute::cute:

I must say that the best beaches in my opinion are south of Hallett Cove. Southport voted as a best clean beach. Uncluttered and uncrowded.

Easy access and reasonably priced areas as well.:cute::cute:

But equally Semaphore in the north west is a lovely beach. Honestly, apart from Victor Harbor once when we were down there and there was lots of seaweed there (that's way down south), and maybe Glenelg after a hot and very busy public holiday (but it was really quickly cleared up in the next few days) I have yet to find a not-lovely beach in South Australia.

Probably my absolute favourite beach is Normanville, but at about two hours drive from the city, it might not be practical to live there - great for weekenders though!

Hi,

We are based at Semaphore, good shops, right on the beach and a train into the city. We also have family and friends (with kids) who live at Henley, which is also really nice. Family there belong to the surfing club and they seem to have heaps of events for the kids. Public transport into the city which is about 20 mins or so. There is a large shopping centre 'Westlakes' with cinema and the usuals, and Westlakes itself is a nice place.

Good luck!

Guest toddsim

Hi Everyone and thanks for the posts they have given us some where to start looking.. I looked where work is and its in Croydon Park area of Adelaide. are those areas any good, thanks si

Croydon Park is to the North West of the city so anywhere down the coast side down to about Hallett Cove would probably not be a bad commute. Most of the places already mentioned are therefore worth a look - Semaphore, Henley, Brighton, West Beach, Grange or very very slightly inland to Prospect - all would work. Also check suburbs that are maybe just inland from the coast for better property prices - places like Fulham Gardens, West Lakes etc - and you could still be home from work, on your verandah with a cold glass in hand within 20 mins!

If you want an excellent choice of schools and houses, good transport links, and maybe a 30 min drive to work tops, and don't mind a similar drive to a beach, the north east suburbs are also worth considering. I live in Highbury (in the North East), work (sometimes!) in Port Adelaide (in the North West) and it takes me about 30 mins door to door to drive. Plus we are on the edge of the hills with the wonderful Torrens Linear Park on our doorstep - which makes OH's cycle to work in the South West corner of the city a mostly-offroad breeze. The schools on this side of town are absolutely excellent - state and private.

We just arrived two weeks ago were really surprised at the distances that people were traveling, sure it really depends where your job is and what your used to and what you expect to pay for rent, if your intending to rent that is, we found a beautiful house in kings park just south of CBD and packed the kids off to Adelaide High, a 20 min bus ride away. Its 6 mile away from glenelg beach which is very popular with warm waters, kings park is in walking distance from unley which is like the Chelsea of adelaide in my opinion very nice. You need to get a short rental say a month and do the leg work when you arrive. be very carefull renting houses without seeing them as we have seen some really poor housing that landlords think are beautiful !!, get somthing off somone on here for short term to be safe. PM me if your looking at unley the place we got short term is a very high standard 2 bed private garage apartment, I will give you there contact. cheers Jay