Here on working holiday, and want to stay permanently. How can we do this?

Guest Richlacey

Guest Richlacey

Hi after leaving England in June and travelling through America Fiji and New Zealand we arrived here in Australia in September.

we are both on working holiday visas and We would like to apply for residency, but we don't know how to go about it.

I am mechanic and I'm currently working part time at two garages. One of my bosses has said he would sponsor me but at this time he does not have the work to take me on full time. So that's a non starter.

We have been here 4 months now, and we really want to get the ball rolling as we feel time is going by fast and before we know it we will have to leave.

Looking around it seems we need a 175 visa but I don't know if this is correct?

Basicly, we need instruction on what to do, then we can do it. At the moment we don't know who to talk to or what we need, so any help would be fantastic.

Our details-

Me, 30 yr old mechanic, qualified.

Mrs 31 no 'trade', sales background.

Married since leaving England, so our passports etc still not updated.

My working hol visa expires sep, Lacey's expires mid aug.

Hope someone can point us in the right direction! Thanks!!

Immi.gov.au should be your bible.

There is a points test on there which will tell you if you're eligible for a 175 visa. It also tells you all of the documents you'll need for the application. You can apply online, but waiting times from application to visa grant can be anything from 10-36 months!!!!! And I'm unsure if you can get a bridging visa for a 175 application.

It may be worth getting some advice from a migration agent first off, but wouldn't recommend using one to make your application, as it's so easy to do it yourself online and you'll save yourself about $5000.

Guest Richlacey

Cheers man, that's just the kind of info we need. I pass points test, but that's as far as we got. I read their website but it's just so confusing! I guess once you have done it, it becomes more clear. 10 months is a long time! What's a bridging visa? Is that so you can stay after the WH expires, till the new one issued? Right so we need to contact an agent fair enough, can you recommend one?

Hi after leaving England in June and travelling through America Fiji and New Zealand we arrived here in Australia in September.

we are both on working holiday visas and We would like to apply for residency, but we don't know how to go about it.

I am mechanic and I'm currently working part time at two garages. One of my bosses has said he would sponsor me but at this time he does not have the work to take me on full time. So that's a non starter.

We have been here 4 months now, and we really want to get the ball rolling as we feel time is going by fast and before we know it we will have to leave.

Looking around it seems we need a 175 visa but I don't know if this is correct?

Basicly, we need instruction on what to do, then we can do it. At the moment we don't know who to talk to or what we need, so any help would be fantastic.

Our details-

Me, 30 yr old mechanic, qualified.

Mrs 31 no 'trade', sales background.

Married since leaving England, so our passports etc still not updated.

My working hol visa expires sep, Lacey's expires mid aug.

Hope someone can point us in the right direction! Thanks!!

HI Guys

You really need to do some reading on the IMMI site. Download the Booklets.

1. See if you have the points.

2. If yes then you will need to have your skills assessed.

[h=2]"Skill level[/h]This occupation has a level of skill commensurate with the qualifications and experience in Australia of AQF Certificate III including at least two years of on-the-job training, or AQF Certificate IV (ANZSCO Skill Level 3).

At least three years of relevant experience may substitute for the formal qualifications listed above. In some instances relevant experience and/or on-the-job training may be required in addition to the formal qualification.

If you require further information on this occupation, please refer to the Australian Bureau of Statistics website.

See: Unit Group 3121 - Motor Mechanics

Information on the skill level of each occupation is consistent with the Australian and New Zealand Standard Classification of Occupations (ANZSCO) and may differ from the requirements set by the assessing authorities for obtaining a skills assessment. Please contact the relevant assessing authority for your nominated occupation to check on their requirements"

If I were you I would look at a RSMS visa, if you are on the ground in SA find an employer with the full time hours and willing to sponsor you, an RSMS should be a lot quicker and simple and as far as I know costs the employer nothing/very little.

Regards

IrishSTew (OH)

Hi after leaving England in June and travelling through America Fiji and New Zealand we arrived here in Australia in September. we are both on working holiday visas and We would like to apply for residency, but we don't know how to go about it. I am mechanic and I'm currently working part time at two garages. One of my bosses has said he would sponsor me but at this time he does not have the work to take me on full time. So that's a non starter. We have been here 4 months now, and we really want to get the ball rolling as we feel time is going by fast and before we know it we will have to leave. Looking around it seems we need a 175 visa but I don't know if this is correct? Basicly, we need instruction on what to do, then we can do it. At the moment we don't know who to talk to or what we need, so any help would be fantastic. Our details- Me, 30 yr old mechanic, qualified. Mrs 31 no 'trade', sales background. Married since leaving England, so our passports etc still not updated. My working hol visa expires sep, Lacey's expires mid aug. Hope someone can point us in the right direction! Thanks!!
May I suggest you consult a registered migration agent for a assessment of your case and the possibility of lodging a 'Decision Ready' application?

Guest Richlacey

Thanks Irish stew, I will download the booklets tomorow and see. It's so annoying as one place is my dream job, and he would sponsor me but there is not the work at the moment. The company is growing but I don't want to keep waiting and get let down in the end.

wrussel what is decision ready application? And yes I would contact an agent if someone could recommend a good one.

thanks again to you all, its all progress!

Alan Collett at Go Matilda. Get some advice as to the best way to proceed. It's probably not worth using the agent for the application though as its straight forward to fill out the online form. Agents are really only for people that have complicated cases like poor health or custody issues with children. It's a waste of money otherwise.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Richlacey

We are gonna go for work RSMS. We have spoken to the immigration people, and they said i need to have my skills assessed by TRA before we can start the ball rolling. so we are getting my college papers sent over this week. One thing it does ask for is an academic transcript, "an official document which states your course, subjects and results, completion date, graduation date and is signed" but my college is now shut down!

seems like a fair bit of work just for this bit, I have to contact my old boss and get him to send evidence of my employment and detailed accounts of what I actually did for the job. I guess we will have to to that and e mail it over for him to sign etc to save time, because

On my current visa I can only work same place for 6months, and I have been there 5 already!!!

Guest Richlacey

Thanks Alan, I take it we would have to go through an agent for that? The main thing we are worried about, at this stage is getting all my stuff from England certificates etc for the TRA assessment. Then at least we can apply, and maybe get an extention on the employer thing, I will have been working with my current employer for 6 months on may 9th.

what is the average cost of using a migration agent? It's a shame you don't have offices in Adelaide.

Cheers

W Russell is an agent. Contact him. I'm sure he'll tell you everything you need to know in a phone call or email before you decide whether or not to take it further. Google his name. You can find him online easily enough. Or just click on his username.

Good luck.

Thanks Irish stew, I will download the booklets tomorow and see. It's so annoying as one place is my dream job, and he would sponsor me but there is not the work at the moment. The company is growing but I don't want to keep waiting and get let down in the end.

wrussel what is decision ready application? And yes I would contact an agent if someone could recommend a good one.

thanks again to you all, its all progress!

• 3 months later...
Guest Richlacey

We have launched a RSMS this week. Thanks for the help, and advice.We have applied for a 457 to allow me to continue working for my sponsor. They have rejected it on the grounds that my boss needs to be employing an Aussie in the same position and pay as me. Not sure what to do now, as I can't work there anymore, on my 417. it's only a small company, boss, me, apprentice. Maybe we have just wasted $800 on the 457, and I need an income so will have to get a job elsewhere even though we've just sent off the RSMS application.Nightmare!

We used an agent and yes, we could have probably done a lot ourselves but it was a huge weight off our minds and our agent kept things moving giving great advice along the way. Our Visa was very costly anyway (and average time for most CPV143s is around 2 years) so a few dollars more didn't make a huge difference to our budget and it more than made up for the cost in keeping us 'stressed out oldies' sain through this life-changing descision.

Possibly because they know no better. I think most agents will agree that normal applications are simple and most people can do it themselves with little hassle. And save enough money for some furniture when they arrive.

Agents are extremely useful and almost a necessity when applications aren't a straight forward yes to every question.

I would always also check advice given by agents, as when I started my application years ago, I enquired with a migration agency and they informed me that I wasn't eligible for a perm residency visa and would have to go for a 2 year temp visa first. Even when I pointed out that I had enough points they told me that they thought my case wasn't strong enough to apply for a 176 family sponsored visa. I applied myself and it was granted 5 months later. So you can see my hesitation with agents. (I can't mention who the agent is as they are on this site frequently.)