176 visa

Guest zidden

When is the latest you can migrate on a 176 visa?

Is it just before the 5 years expire or is it just before the 3rd year as you need to commit to 2 years in the state?

Is it just before the 5 years expire or is it just before the 3rd year as you need to commit to 2 years in the state?

You will need to validate usually 12months from your police clearance.

You have 5 years from the VISA grant to make the move and then stay in OZ for the rest of your life. However, the sting in the tail is this -

If you have not been resident (in OZ not a particular state) for 2 years you cannot get a return visa. This means that if you arrived in OZ just before the 5 year date you would not be able to leave OZ and then return (say for a family illness etc). see http://www.immi.gov.au/migrants/residents/155/eligibility.htm

Therefore from a practical point of view you want to be in OZ within the three year period.

The SS commitment does not come into it.

IrishSTew (OH)

Guest keith&ju

Hiya

As far as I was aware, on a 176 we have 5 years to move over there from our grant date on the Visa (as long as you have validated it within 12 months). With a 176 we need to stay in SA for a minimum of 2 years to satisfy the terms of the Visa after you have arrived. That's the way I read it........

Hiya

As far as I was aware, on a 176 we have 5 years to move over there from our grant date on the Visa (as long as you have validated it within 12 months). With a 176 we need to stay in SA for a minimum of 2 years to satisfy the terms of the Visa after you have arrived. That's the way I read it........

Hi All,

You have a moral obligation to stay in SA, but according to the legal experts it is not enforceable by law. I believe that those of us who have been sponsored by SA should stay for the two years, but it is not the law.

The 2 years SS issue is not really relevant to when you arrive or leave Australia. As once you are in on a 176 you can stay as long as you like, its the coming and going from Australia that makes the issue slightly more complex - see previous post.

Regards

IrishStew (OH)