Adelaide here we come, but when?

Guest foxesonthemove

Guest foxesonthemove

Can't quite believe it! 3 years and a baby later we have our visa.:biggrin:So happy, if not a little terrified!!

Suddenly getting the visa seems like the easy part now there are so many decisions to make, plus we are going to be teliing our families this weekend. AArrggh!

Alex

Great news. Good luck with sharing your news with the family. We had mixed reactions when we first shared the news but they're all excited and planning their visits now they know it's so close.

Lyn x

Guest foxesonthemove

Thanks! Just weighing up our options at the minute. Not sure whether to go over and activate with a view to making the move in 2013. Or do we sell up and make the move before the deadline in December this year!

Sometimes wish someone could just tell me the best thing to do! Need to work out what is best for our family, but if we do go over to activavte need to have done it by May this year. So doesn't give us long! I feel a headache coming on!!!!

Alex

Thanks! Just weighing up our options at the minute. Not sure whether to go over and activate with a view to making the move in 2013. Or do we sell up and make the move before the deadline in December this year!

Sometimes wish someone could just tell me the best thing to do! Need to work out what is best for our family, but if we do go over to activavte need to have done it by May this year. So doesn't give us long! I feel a headache coming on!!!!

Alex

Hi

We plan to move over in June / July this year, our visa was granted last July but due to Business / Personal commitments we decided to do a visa validation visit in November last year. This gave us more time to get things sorted back in the UK.

The good thing is that we now have more time, the bad thing being was that we really wanted to get on with things and I personally would have gladly stayed in Australia; but as previously indicated we had commitments.

Telling your family is probably the hardest part (apart from saying goodbye I guess), but we focused on the fact that our kids future was the deciding facture for us. Also with Skype etc, keeping in touch it isn't like it used to be in the past. It wasn't the end of the world and that of copurse they would be welcome to visit (diary already filling up with potential visits)

I hope this helps a little bit, whatever happens you / we have a fantastic opportunity to start a new life in a fantastic place with an incredible future; not everyone gets that cahnce in life.

Good luck,

R & H

Guest foxesonthemove

Hi R&H

Thanks for your reply, I think in our heads we know a recce visit would be the best but I suppose in our hearts we just want to get over there!!

I am on maternity leave at the momemt so we need to go over before I go back to work as I will struggle to get the time off when I return to work!

Were did you stay when you went over for your visit? We are a family of 4, me, my OH and our 2 boys (one 4 years old, the other 4 months)

Good luck with your move later in the year, hope all goes well, looking forward to hearing how you get on.

Alex

Hi Alex

We stayed In an apartment in Glenelg first time, this was my wife's first time to Australia. I had been twice before and fell in love with the country straight away. My wife's twin sister emigrated to Vancouver the year before and went over to visit her (at that stage we could have moved to Canada or Australia).

The following year we went to Adelaide, and the decision was effectively down to my wife. I promised that I wouldn't put her under any pressure to decide, but within two days she had decided that she loved Australia. It was May so it was 'nice' weather but not 'hot'.

The next visit was in October last year, after 17 months, this was to validate our visa's. We stayed in the Brighton area, because in reality it was the only holiday let we liked the details of. Brighton is a wonderful place, with a beautiful sandy beach and very friendly. The Brighton school is amazing and has an enviable reputation. Albeit the property prices are certainly higher than areas such as Hallet Cove. Now Hallet Cove is a nice area, the beach is not sandy, more rocky, but none the less a nice area with beautiful scenery. I believe

that 20% of the population is British (so I was informed).

To be honest there are numerous beautiful beaches to choose from, Christies Beach, Noaralunga (stunning),

Aldinger ( you can drive your car on the beach).

Hallet Cove and Noaralunga both have a nice sized shopping mall.

The house prices are cheaper the further south you go from Brighton from what we found.

In reality you are never too far from stunning beaches anywhere from Brighton - Aldinger. We investigated north of Glenelg, but from our persecutive it wasn't for us. But to be honest, we didn't spend too much time

looking North.

The larger shopping centres are also not to far away, Westfields is an excellent shopping centre it has just

about everything you'd need there.

We plan to live either in the Brighton, Hallet Cove, Noaralunga area, purely because we love the atmosphere. Our girl is 13 years old, so that will also influence where we end up.

I hope this helps, but remember this is only one opinion / experience.

Good luck

Russell