Medicals ??

natasha2106

Not sure which section to put this under so here goes !

My husband and I are in the process of the state sponsored visa application - this has been sent and we are waiting to hear.

Our concern we have is regarding the medicals, we are both healthy individuals - however we do carry lets say a "little extra weight" :)

We are both however, now on a get fit and lose weight mission for the next couple of months, but how strict are they on the medicals, we have asked our agents this but they cannot seem to answer the question.

Any advice would be great thanks.

You should be fine in the weight regard. Many people are overweight (I've read a few on the very heavy side) and its not been an issue for them. Plenty of people have posted on here and our sister site and have passed medicals and been overweight.

But getting into better shape and getting a bit fitter is no bad thing so keep motivated :)

Not sure which section to put this under so here goes !

My husband and I are in the process of the state sponsored visa application - this has been sent and we are waiting to hear.

Our concern we have is regarding the medicals, we are both healthy individuals - however we do carry lets say a "little extra weight" :)

We are both however, now on a get fit and lose weight mission for the next couple of months, but how strict are they on the medicals, we have asked our agents this but they cannot seem to answer the question.

Any advice would be great thanks.

I can only say from our experience that it's not been an issue, if you read the following:

http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/health-requirements/overview-health-req.htm

It helped settle our minds a little!

Hi,

I was in exactly the same panic-y boat last week - just before we had our medicals. And yesterday they were finalised... so I don't think it's too much of an issue providing you've got no related health issues.

My motivation to keep slimming is the fact that we're going to be squeezed into an economy seat for 23 hours to get there (and back!) and the bikinis I'm going to have to wear to fit in with the Aussies :)

Relax, you will not have any problems if you are healthy, stay of the sugars and drink plenty (so that you dont have a high blood sugar reading). I have a BMI over 40!!! ie 20st and got through no problems.

DIAC State

Being overweightBeing overweight in itself does not necessarily mean you will

not meet the health requirement. If you are assessed as being

obese, some exploration of related medical conditions (which

can exist or be emerging) will be made. These include diabetes,

heart disease (including hypertension) and arthritis. Such

conditions may mean that you are assessed as not meeting the

health requirement.

I was told that being overweight COULD mean you incur extra medical costs through being required to take more medicals exams. It would only be if it flagged up a condition causing it that could stop/ prevent you getting a VISA. Good Luck :)

It’s not been overweight in itself that is the issue (see guidance to panel doctors). If there are complications, that maybe, due to being overweight, eg diabetes, heart disease then they will refer you.

Depending on the severity they may ask for additional tests, which you will need to pay for. If the medical condition is significant (ie cost a fortune to manage) then you will be turned down. However, if it’s that bad anyway I’m not sure I would want to be starting a new life, and if they do find something that bad, I would be very thankful that they did before I left for the other side of the world.

Anyway at 20st I passed through without an issue, as all my other health parameters were good. I hope you are all the same too.

Irish(Fatty)Stew :wink:

It’s not been overweight in itself that is the issue (see guidance to panel doctors). If there are complications, that maybe, due to being overweight, eg diabetes, heart disease then they will refer you.

Depending on the severity they may ask for additional tests, which you will need to pay for. If the medical condition is significant (ie cost a fortune to manage) then you will be turned down. However, if it’s that bad anyway I’m not sure I would want to be starting a new life, and if they do find something that bad, I would be very thankful that they did before I left for the other side of the world.

Anyway at 20st I passed through without an issue, as all my other health parameters were good. I hope you are all the same too.

Irish(Fatty)Stew :wink:

That sums up very well what I was trying to say (badly). I hope there isn't a problem, I'm pretty sure there aren't any issues related to my weight. I had a Preg Diabetes check 2 years ago which came back clear, when I weighed a lot more.

I just don't want to have any extra tests over the standard ones due to cost & time if nothing else! Good luck with your move! :)

• 1 month later...
Guest matt n mel
The waiting is the worst thing.....it's the last stage of not knowing now. ANZAC Day tomorrow so doubt we will get a decision overnight tonight. Keep us posted Hannybabe..xx

Hi Leeds and Hannybabe, we are in the same boat as you guys. We lodged 176 on 21/3/12 and got co soon after, been for meds and uploaded pccs and everything sent but just waiting......... Keep checking diac tracker every 10 mins- it is addictive! Just hope we all get our golden tickets soon. Fingers and toes crossed- definitely keep updating on the thread as good to know if things are moving over there (even if it feels like it's at a glacial pace!):wink:

Mel x

Hi Matt n Mel,

Welcome to the final waiting room!

Its awful waiting isn't it....we submitted by paper so can't even check online....waiting on an email.

Where in South Yorks you from..we are between York n Leeds, hoping to go Match next year all being well.

Whats your time line/ timeframe etc and what are your jobs? Hannybabe n I are both married to primary teachers.

-Anna

Guest matt n mel
Hi Matt n Mel,

Welcome to the final waiting room!

Its awful waiting isn't it....we submitted by paper so can't even check online....waiting on an email.

Where in South Yorks you from..we are between York n Leeds, hoping to go Match next year all being well.

Whats your time line/ timeframe etc and what are your jobs? Hannybabe n I are both married to primary teachers.

-Anna

Hiya Anna

Thanks for your friendship request; I have of course accepted, seeing as we're both yorkshire birds! We live in Doncaster (hence a desire to leave the country lol!) We've applied on my fella's occupation- he's a coach builder/panel beater/welder/you name it he can do it! I am a retail manager. Both in our 30s, no kids as yet.

The final waiting room is tense! I don't know whether it's better to have applied online or not, because all that happens is you end up getting up at 5am just to check the status! Praps we'd have been better off submitting on paper......

We would hope to move later this year, if possible, or early in the new year if not. Just saving like crazy (taking jam sandwiches and tap water to work!)

Have you used an agent or done it yourselves?

Mel

x

Keep checking online too - even when I know they're asleep over there... :D

I keep re-clculating our points too, just to make sure & they keep coming out the same - how daft is that?!! :biglaugh:

I have looked at other people's timelines and VISAs seem to be being finalised about 3 weeks after medicals... so hopefully not too long! :)

All the best guys. Very excited. Got the champagne in the fridge ready... :/

Guest matt n mel
This waiting is a killer... :eek::wacko::arghh:

Have any of you herd anything yet? I'm hoping we hear soon and as we all got CO's roughly the same time we SHOULD hear a similar time too ... aaaaaaarggggggghhhhhhhhh

We got our grant today!!!!

:jiggy:

Can't believe it. Our meds etc all went to finalised last week, and then at midnight last night all our doc checklist went to "met" and then this morning we had our visa grant! So exciting. Been so quick. You will be soon hannybabe I'm sure, and leeds too- any news your end? They're certainly cracking through them- 5 weeks from lodging application to being approved is unbelievably quick. Will update my signature when i figure out how to...... Just hope everyone else gets theirs soon, cos the waiting is awful! Keep us posted xx

Hannybabe- it's awful isn't it!

I made my hubby ring last week nf person on phone reassured him that all ok nd that it was just going thru the motions...

Its really sad....every night I wake up and check the emails...!

Can anything go wrong a this point???hope not.....I will keep u posted

Anna xx

Guest matt n mel
Yes, yes, yes!

Visa grant notice recvd this morning.....it's going to be a good day!

Hannybabe- you will be next. Xxxx

Congratulations Anna! Great to hear. Hannybabe I'm keeping my fingers and toes crossed for you....... Not long now!

Mel

x