unskilled Daughter want to come to australia

whimsies

Our unskilled daughter wants to come to australia she is 23 and didnt come out on our visa when she was 17 as her dad would not sign paperwork and she was in love with a boy!! to cut a long story short she finds herself on her own and would love to live in australia what are her options open to her.

Many thanks in advance

Tina

We are going through this process at the moment, both myself and my wife emigrated in Dec 09, we have 2 children 23yrs n 21yrs whom both lost thier jobs just before we moved so they decided to make the move with us to see if Australia was for them, so they came over on working holiday visas, we looked into every visa possible and took advise on this matter whilst in Aus, we first applied for a child sponsored visa (which basically means me n my mrs sponsor our children to stay in the country, and paid the associated fees approx $2500, everythings about money in this country as you will find out) the application was refused as both our kids met every bit of the criteria apart from one sub clause, they hadnt been in full time education since leaving school???? we tried explaining that in the UK if you have found employment you can leave education and start youre working career, this made no difference???? so we then were advised to employ an immigration lawyer, which we have (again its all money, upto now his fees have cost $5000, but we are all still in the country, legally may i add) the advise from our legal adviser is that it takes approx 1 yr from the lodging of the application by the lawyer, for the govenment to make a decision as to whether they can stay or have to leave? thier initial holiday visa ran out in Dec 10, then we extended it for a further 12 months, so as of this moment they are under the extention visa of our lawyer, and were still waiting and the application was lodged in Jan 2011 so we should here something anytime now???? but i'm not holding my breath, cause down here nobody rushes anthing, i hope this has helped in some way, i will keep you you posted as to the out come, if you require any further info or help advise on this matter please feel free to ask, i really do not want anybody else to have to go through all this c**P if i can help, anyway good luck, regards Paul

We are going through this process at the moment, both myself and my wife emigrated in Dec 09, we have 2 children 23yrs n 21yrs whom both lost thier jobs just before we moved so they decided to make the move with us to see if Australia was for them, so they came over on working holiday visas, we looked into every visa possible and took advise on this matter whilst in Aus, we first applied for a child sponsored visa (which basically means me n my mrs sponsor our children to stay in the country, and paid the associated fees approx $2500, everythings about money in this country as you will find out) the application was refused as both our kids met every bit of the criteria apart from one sub clause, they hadnt been in full time education since leaving school???? we tried explaining that in the UK if you have found employment you can leave education and start youre working career, this made no difference???? so we then were advised to employ an immigration lawyer, which we have (again its all money, upto now his fees have cost $5000, but we are all still in the country, legally may i add) the advise from our legal adviser is that it takes approx 1 yr from the lodging of the application by the lawyer, for the govenment to make a decision as to whether they can stay or have to leave? thier initial holiday visa ran out in Dec 10, then we extended it for a further 12 months, so as of this moment they are under the extention visa of our lawyer, and were still waiting and the application was lodged in Jan 2011 so we should here something anytime now???? but i'm not holding my breath, cause down here nobody rushes anthing, i hope this has helped in some way, i will keep you you posted as to the out come, if you require any further info or help advise on this matter please feel free to ask, i really do not want anybody else to have to go through all this c**P if i can help, anyway good luck, regards Paul

It is crap for those wanting their kids to come over. Or whose kids want to come over.

The hard thing is is that they are now adults and once over a certain age the general expectation is they are standing on their own two feet and if they want to emigrate to Aus they do so on their own merits. As I understand it (although I may be wrong and happy to be corrected on it) had your kids been in full time education and living at home etc when you applied for your visa to migrate chances are they could have gotten one also. Even if past the age cut off point. Its because they are still reliant on the parent and many other things. I don't know the ins and outs but I have read of people with older 'kids' who have been in this situation when applying and their kids have been able to move with them. But had those kids not been dependant, living at home and in education they would not have been eligible.

That your son and daughter were adults in employment and decided to go to Aus after you gained your visa doesn't make things easy for sure :\

Have they explored the possibility of finding sponsorship via an employer to enable them to stay? Studying? Although that could be expensive. Or possibly if they really feel Aus is for them then returning to the UK to retrain in a skill (that hopefully will be on the list) and applying on their own merits in the future? Might take a few years but could be worthwhile exploring the possibles.

Hi Tina

Our daughter was a similar age when we came over on a temp visa and we had a hell of a job proving that she was dependent and therefore valid for a permanent visa on my application. You have to be able to prove that they are dependent for the year prior to moving over and will remain so for the year following, so this is not suitable for your daughter.

What work does your daughter do?

I always thought (though have no researched) that you did not have to be the only remaining family member in the UK but that there were a larger portion of your close family here - does she have any brothers or sisters here? Does she have contact with her Father in the UK? You say that she is alone so it might be an idea to explore this avenue? Clutching at straws really but I hope someone on here can help you.

Wishing you both the best of luck

Catherine

Guest Jo&Phil

If you decide to go down the student visa route ... it may be worth her studying something that both interests her AND is on the skilled migration list. That list changed recently so worth taking a look at it for inspiration into possible study paths. Once she has completed her course she may be able to apply for skilled migration visa etc.

Student visa's are really expensive as you are treated as an international student.

This link will give you an idea of courses available and the cost..might need to take a deep breath when you start looking

http://www.tafesa.edu.au/international.aspx

Students are allowed to work whilst on the visa... 20 hours a week during term and as many hours as you like during holidays.

Also i understand another requirement is to have full private medical insurance.

We have looked into all this extensively for our nephew who really wanted to come out here....his situation is that he didnt finish school in the Uk (which goes against you)...but as been working for 3 years now as a sign fitter, but because he has no formal qualifications in it, that also goes against him. The other option was a student visa, but some of the courses he would be interested in, wouldn't give much change out of $20K!!!!!