English test!

Guest Dennic

Guest Dennic

1st ever thread so any help is welcome,

My husband has got to do the English test in 2 weeks and we was hoping to find out if anyone has done it? He didn't sit exams at school as he was given a job before he got to the end of school!

We understand that it's 4 parts but with the reading one, do you get to look at the text when you have the question sheet? He is getting worried :unsure:

Guest thebokke

Hi Dennic, welcome to PIA.

The IELTS isn't overly difficult per se but it does take a bit of practice. There's a definite process to each of the sections apart from the speaking which is really straightforward as a native english speaker. IELTS is a bit of a con because if you mess up one section you have to resit the lot which makes £££££'s for them.

I'd definitely get your husband to do at least an hour of practice each day between now and the test, you could do the practice with him if he hasn't sat exams and that way he'd probably learn more. Practice really is the key. You have very limited time in each part of the test so knowing how to answer and what they're looking for helps with time management. Consider buying the official IELTS book and search online for practice papers, there's a lot of good free resources out there.

With the reading you have the reading text in front of you whilst you answer the questions, this is key as you have to go back and forth to understand what they're asking you.

Good luck and as long as he's practiced your husband should be fine!

Edited by thebokke
dodgy spelling!

Guest Dennic

Thank you, it seems strange that English born need to sit this test with the amount of reading & writing that has to be done just to get a visa! Should be fun training him every day lol

I have found loads of test sheets on-line so we have till the 21st of April to get him ready.

Thanks again ;)

DO purchase an IELTS book or two before hand. The test is not difficult but is damanding and takes about 8 hours including the spoken test. I took mine recently and passed with 7.5 (9's for the rest!!!! but they only consider the lowest score) and Im a chartered person with hons degree etc etc. It is not an easy test to pass as you need to understand what answer they want rather than being in your own words.

Sorry but recently gave my 2 books away otherwise you could of had them for nothing.

Best of luck.

S

Cambridge has some good IELTS books. The question regarding the reading part: Yes, he will have access to the article/story he's reading for the whole 40 minutes of the running test time.

The speaking part is easy. It's better not to use slang and converse in polite English.

The listening part: They play a tape, which explains a situation. While you listen to the recording you will answer the questions in the question sheet. At the end of the test you will have 10 minutes to transfer your answers to the answering sheet. On the listening, you will have to remember one thing: Do not lose your concentration, do not day dream as the recording is played only once. But as a whole its no big deal.

Writing: Your husband needs to practice to use the right words, the right sentences and techniques to get a good mark on this one. Usually there are two parts to the writing: a) 150 words on a subject b) 250 words on a subject. Use the Cambridge IELTS books to get better acquainted with what they expect of him.

Its not really that hard. Be prepared and he'll do just fine:smile:

Ok, I just had a chat with a friend and he told me that Cambridge IELTS preparation books are numbered 1 to 8. 8 should be the latest edition. Cambridge also has vocabulary, grammar and common mistakes books for IELTS. The IELTS 8, you can use to practice and get a feel of how the examination works and the other books will help you better understand the type of vocabulary and grammar they want a candidate to use. :smile:

Guest Dennic

Hi All,

Have now ordered 7&8 new..... so all we can do now is study hard and keep our fingers crossed! thanks for all your help, i will let you know how he gets on

Denni :)

1st ever thread so any help is welcome,

My husband has got to do the English test in 2 weeks and we was hoping to find out if anyone has done it? He didn't sit exams at school as he was given a job before he got to the end of school!

We understand that it's 4 parts but with the reading one, do you get to look at the text when you have the question sheet? He is getting worried :unsure:

http://www.aapress.com.au/

Wow thanks Wrussell,

Denni :smile:

The man who runs it is 100% honest and reliable and knows his stuff.

Do not be tempted to rely on possibly outdated IELTS resources to be found on the internet, that are possibly also in breach of copyright.

I strongly advise my clients to register for a pre-test workshop, if one is available, and to undertake practice tests under test conditions.

IELTS is designed to test your examination technique and your bank balance as many times as possible so, practise, practise, practise, and unless their are medical reasons not to (diabetes?) dose yourself with glucose before and during the tests - barley sugar will do it.

Guest miraclebabycaw

I dunno, maybe we just got real easy one's or something, but DH and I only did the sample practice exercises that they give you when you have paid. My husband is a horrendous speller at the best of times and he still managed an 8 overall with 7.5 being his lowest on the questions and answers. I got 9 overall with only one 8.5 on speaking (I'm terrible in interviews..get horrendously nervous and tend to stutter a bit then), but 9 on everything else. We wrote at different times so it wasn't the same test either. They give you time to read over your questions first before they start the listening section so make sure you read that thoroughly, and then listen very carefully jotting down in pencil next to each question what you think the answer is. If you are not sure or you think there might be 2 answers, jot them both down then when you have the 10min to transfer your answers go back to that and try remember. If you are still not sure, go with your gut. The only one's I found issues on where it was true/false or doesn't say. Those mixed me up in the practice but thankfully I never got those. The writing is pretty straight forward. Learn a basic letter i.e. a start, the problem, suggestions to improve the issue, a conclusion and that should be ok. Then on the topic, the "samples" say pick a for and against and write about both, but I chose only for/against and just wrote my feelings about it. Mine was on should aged parents look after their grandkids. Normally the people who do the interviews are really nice. I had to talk about travel and my dh's topic was advertisements.

I needed an 8 for everything as we were claiming points for expert english. I got it on my first attempt. Not bragging or anything, just saying it is possible. Stay calm and focus on what the recordings say and read carefully, and you should do well.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Dennic

Sorry 1more question....... On each section how many do you have to get right.? The reading one is 40 questions do we need to get all right? I know it's probably a silly question but I think it would put my mind at rest, our books still have not arrived :-/ so doing the on-line ones. My hubby need to get 8 in each test.

Denni :unsure:

If your husband is a native english speaker, he should be fine for 8's. Just make sure he is familiar with the format of the tests and perhaps practice writing exercises like letters etc. The written part is probably the easiest section to make mistakes on, due to spelling and punctuation errors.