Taking Poppy......

Leeds1877

Hi,

We have been to our local vets today to start the process of getting our Labrador ready to emigrate next year.

The vets were very vague and didn't seem to know what was required. They even said that they did a dog for NZ and it was so complicated they vowed never to do it again!

I have a few questions?

Which shippers did you use to transport your pets?

what vaccinations(other than rabies and the usual) are required?

how d'you arrange it all - quarantine, flights etc?

Dog passport?

Any help would be greatly appreciated as we really want to take her as she is part of family and will help us and the kids settle easier...

Anna

This AQIS page should help

http://www.daff.gov.au/aqis/cat-dogs/cat4?name=the%20United%20Kingdom

If you've questions about pet shipping Bob over at Pet Air comes highly recommended. You can post questions to him over on our sister site, Poms In Oz. Here is the link to the thread about the company etc

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/shipping-pets-ask-pet-air/126688-pet-air-uk.html

Rabies stuff needs to be sorted at least 6 months ahead of flying. Don't leave it later than this or else you may find your dog cannot fly with you or will need to spent longer in quarantine.

If you use a shipping company they arrange the flights etc iirc. And can arrange the vet work but you can also do this. The quarantine is totally separate and you need to arrange this yourselves and its not included in the shipping costs. The nearest quarantine is Melbourne and you could then fly your dog up to Adelaide or drive.

All up for a lab you are looking in the region of £4000

I'd ensure you get a UK pet passport so that if you return to the UK for any reason (ie decided to move back after 18 months) your dog won't have to spend 6 months in quarantine when re entering the UK.

:)

You can always use the forum search and look for pet shipping etc. People have posted about taking their pets in the past so it should all be there to find.

Most reports on pet shipping are generally good. I've only read a few not so good experiences and these were posted over on our sister site, Poms In Oz. There is a Pets section on that site and has lots of threads on peoples pet shipping experiences to Aus. You might be better off reading over there peoples accounts as there is more on the subject.

FWIW I've investigated the pet shipping options as we have a dog. We narrowed it down to Pet Air and another pet shipper. But there are a number of reputable UK companies. You can find them online and read feedback on them easily enough.

Edited by snifter

We used a company called JCS Livestock and they were excellent, highly recommend them. They told us exactly what blood tests and injections Trevor needed, completed all the paperwork for us and organised every single detail of his flight in less than a week. Probably not the cheapest company but highly professional and I felt really confident using them.

Edited by The Monaghans
Forgot to make my original point!

• 2 weeks later...
Hi,

We have been to our local vets today to start the process of getting our Labrador ready to emigrate next year.

The vets were very vague and didn't seem to know what was required. They even said that they did a dog for NZ and it was so complicated they vowed never to do it again!

I have a few questions?

Which shippers did you use to transport your pets?

what vaccinations(other than rabies and the usual) are required?

how d'you arrange it all - quarantine, flights etc?

Dog passport?

Any help would be greatly appreciated as we really want to take her as she is part of family and will help us and the kids settle easier...

Anna

We are shipping our 14 year old cat. We have decided to use TransFur Services (part of PSS removals) - they have been amazingly helpful and very patient with my endless questions. She's ready to go now, even if we're not!!! :)

Not completely sure for dogs but they need their standard annual Vaccinations as well as the rabies one. They need to be Microchipped (apparently before the Rabies) then their Rabies needs to be cleared. Then get a passport and just prior to leaving they need worming and de-ticking etc.

As far as Quarantine goes and flights - check out a carrier (check out the one I mentioned above and also got quotes from AirPets and Airsupply too) We're going with TransFur due to helpfulness and cost!

Hope this helps :)

Good Luck!!

Hannah