What to do with household stuff when moving

guspjmh

Hi all. When we make the move to Adelaide, we are selling our house and getting rid of most of our stuff, bringing only very little across. Does anyone know of any reputable firms who do house clearance, but pay for the furniture etc in the UK?

I have too much to put it all on gumtree etc, but it would be a shame to let it all go for free.

How about having a garage sale ? Put a big sign outside your house saying the date you'll be having it and remove all your precious things or put them in a separate room,could be fun !

Guest Guest6899

I agree with Sharon, starting all over here again and having to purchase new or second hand things here can be expensive, i would also suggest bring what you can. we bought a 20ft container full but as our new house is much bigger we have had to purchase new furniture to fit and spent 1000s. i would dread to add up if we had needed to start again, i would even have bought the cars with hindsight!!

Edited by Guest6899

Don't panic, chaps!! You can't beat K-Mart, Target or Coles for kids' clothes in Oz (this includes all beach-wear/school trousers/polo shirts etc). Kids' clothes are not more expensive in Oz than the UK. When I was in Adelaide last (Oct,'11-Jan,'12), for example polo shirts for boys (aged 11) were only $2 -- equivalent to £1.25. That's dirt cheap by anyone's standads -- and perfectly fine, qualitywise. Just go online(K-Mart; Coles; Woolies; Target) and find out for yourselves before you start stocking up with stuff for the kids.

I promise you there's no need to panic-buy before you leave the UK, as things are not as expensive in Oz if you shop around as you might be led to believe.

Guest Guest6899

I don't think they were talking about clothes, yes clothes are the same as UK. Have a look on IKEA adelaide, fantastic furniture, super amart, the good guys,lecornu they will give you some ideas of costs. You can also buy second hand and pick up some bargains but when you move and you paying out lots in fees, bonds, cars etc it can be expensive to start all over again. Nobody is saying "panic" just giving opinions as we have been though it recently.

Edited by Guest6899