Visa Granted -- what now?

Guest KarenR

Hello,

I know this question has been asked a thousand times and I really am sorry. I’ve looked in the 'Search' option but I guess that I’m not using the right key words!! But its even more frustrating as when I didn’t need the information all the threads I came across were about what happens after your visa is granted.

So I’ve had my visa granted, and hope to fly on 1st March. Is there a list or can I access a list that basically tells me ALL the things that I need to do before I go, ie: inform Student Loans company, close accounts, cancel subscriptions etc. There is only a limited number of things I can think of and am sure I will forget something!!

I remember seeing a link to another website that somebody said was great but I can’t find it.

Its just a transferal of stress isn’t it once the visa is granted . . . .?!?!?

Thank you

Karen

Guest maxxangel

Hi Karen,

I have been writing a list myself of any loose ends I need to tie before go as I think of them. Like you though, I'm sure I will forget something. I have found this page which helps on things to take: http://www.immi.gov.au/living-in-australia/choose-australia/moving-to-australia/before-you-leave.htm hope it helps.

Cara

Guest caoimhe

OMG Karen, you visa was granted 15/02/08 and you are going on 01/03/08:wideeyed::wideeyed:

I don't have any advice or web pages to direct you but just wanted to say good luck and safe journey

Just a quick one to scare you!!! Make sure you inform any credit card companies etc and consider having your mail re-directed from your home address to someone in your family that you trust for a month or two. You don't know who will be in your home after you and lots of people get scammed using previous owner/occupier details sent to them after they have gone. Sorry its a bit negative but worth thinking about.

Apart from that, fantastic news that you are on your way, now i am really jealous. Good luck with your move.

Guest Libby1971

Hi Karen

Good luck, not long to go now!

PM me your email address and I have a copy of the list I think I saved. I was going through it at the time and wanted someone more organised than me to tell me what to do!

Libby

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Mich&Vin

Can I ask about your student loan? Do you have to settle it before the move or can you arrange for payments from oz to be sent over? Good luck with your new life in oz, we hope to be there in a couple of years!

Guest Tracijbc

We had a mate who emigrated about 5 years ago and he paid off his student loan from Oz through a money transfer from his Oz bank to his UK one. The main thing is to make sure you tell them where you are going and give a forwarding address. Some people think of just leaving debts here, but remember, if you have to come back for some reason and try to set up credit again in the UK, you will be up the proverbial creek without a paddle!!