Rosie1979

In remission from cancer (10 years) Will this affect Visa application?

Has anybody made the move out there post cancer? I know I would need a medical if we made a visa application, would this be a negative against me? I've also had heart disease too. I'm 32 years old and haven't had much luck when it comes to my health. Love to hear from anybody who has moved out to Oz post serious illness? Where could I find out?

Title
      Liked
      6 times
      Rep
      Hi There,
      I had cancer about 15 tears ago and am obviously now in remission,when i took my medical last year i just told the doctor and that was it,i dont think it was i big problem as we are here now and living the dream.
      Good Luck
      Gary

brookesy
      Hi Rosie1979,

Firstly congratulations on 10years in remission,my daughter who is now 9 had cancer when she was 3 years old. She has been in remission for 6years now. When we applied for 175 visa my daughter had been in remission for 4years,we sent sent all her information prognosis and further treatment she might need in oz(which consisted of yearly checkups with a consultant). We thought we would be asked a million and one questions about her illness,but she breezed through it without even a medical referral.

They want to know what chance the cancer coming back and any associated costs involved.

Compared to what you went through ten years ago this process will be a doddle, hope this helps good luck with you application.

Brookesy

Title
      Liked
      14 times
      Rep
      I worked with a lad from Manchester who had cancer while applying for his visa, once he was given the all clear he was granted his visa that was 7 years ago & he to is still here in OZ. I would speak to a migration agent like Concept Australia they are very good and would be able to tell you the latest immigration policy regarding health issues.

Good luck

Title
      Liked
      316 times
      Rep
      Quote Originally Posted by Rosie1979 View Post
      Has anybody made the move out there post cancer? I know I would need a medical if we made a visa application, would this be a negative against me? I've also had heart disease too. I'm 32 years old and haven't had much luck when it comes to my health. Love to hear from anybody who has moved out to Oz post serious illness? Where could I find out?
      Hi Rosie

Are you able to hold down a full-time job in spite of your health problems, please? Have you had any successful pregancies in spite of the problems? Have you ever been in receipt of state Benefits because of the health problems?

The Medical Officer of the Connonwealth is going to want to know whether or not your past health problems might result in the Aussie Government incurring "significant cost" on your behalf if you are permitted to move to Australia. "Significant cost" includes the cost of any state Benefits that you might be entitled to receive if you become a Permanent Resident of Australia. The MOC will also want to know whether or not dealing with your past health problems (should they recur) might result in an Aussie's assess to the same services being compromised or reduced.

ISCAH is a firm of Registered Migration Agents in Perth, WA. They recently produced a Neslatter which deals with the Health requirement for migration. The link is below. Please scroll down until you reach the medical stuff:

http://www.iscah.com/Iscahnewsletter162.pdf

I know LOADS of Registered Migration Agents but I do not know any who claim to be medical professionals as well. Some RMAs are qualified Australian lawyers as well. Others are merely quasi-lawyers.

The best thing you can do is print the relevant part of ISCAH's Newsletter and then get your GP to read it and to tell you what s/he thinks the score might be for you. ISCAH's description is 100% accurate.

Cheers

Gill

Rosie1979
      Quote Originally Posted by ejaytee View Post
      Hi There,
      I had cancer about 15 tears ago and am obviously now in remission,when i took my medical last year i just told the doctor and that was it,i dont think it was i big problem as we are here now and living the dream.
      Good Luck
      Gary
      Thank you for replying! Great to hear it wasn't a big problem!

Rosie1979
      Quote Originally Posted by brookesy View Post
      Hi Rosie1979,

Firstly congratulations on 10years in remission,my daughter who is now 9 had cancer when she was 3 years old. She has been in remission for 6years now. When we applied for 175 visa my daughter had been in remission for 4years,we sent sent all her information prognosis and further treatment she might need in oz(which consisted of yearly checkups with a consultant). We thought we would be asked a million and one questions about her illness,but she breezed through it without even a medical referral.

They want to know what chance the cancer coming back and any associated costs involved.

Compared to what you went through ten years ago this process will be a doddle, hope this helps good luck with you application.

Brookesy
      Hi thank you for your reply, great news about your daughter doing so well! I'm in the situation where I see my consultant in London once a year and I have check up for breast cancer every six months which I am at a higher risk of getting because of my chemo/radiation treatment. I'm in remission Hodgkins Lymphoma, I'm told that once you get to the ten year mark in remission on that one I am no more likely for it to come back then a healthy person getting it IYKWIM.

Rosie1979
      Quote Originally Posted by Markrw View Post
      I worked with a lad from Manchester who had cancer while applying for his visa, once he was given the all clear he was granted his visa that was 7 years ago & he to is still here in OZ. I would speak to a migration agent like Concept Australia they are very good and would be able to tell you the latest immigration policy regarding health issues.

Good luck
      Thank you for your reply, I think if we decided to try and attempt to migrate, we would use an agent. I wonder if they could answer my health questions before sinking alot of money into starting the process for my health to get in the way IYKWIM?

Rosie1979
      Quote Originally Posted by Gollywobbler View Post
      Hi Rosie

Are you able to hold down a full-time job in spite of your health problems, please? Have you had any successful pregancies in spite of the problems? Have you ever been in receipt of state Benefits because of the health problems?

The Medical Officer of the Connonwealth is going to want to know whether or not your past health problems might result in the Aussie Government incurring "significant cost" on your behalf if you are permitted to move to Australia. "Significant cost" includes the cost of any state Benefits that you might be entitled to receive if you become a Permanent Resident of Australia. The MOC will also want to know whether or not dealing with your past health problems (should they recur) might result in an Aussie's assess to the same services being compromised or reduced.

ISCAH is a firm of Registered Migration Agents in Perth, WA. They recently produced a Neslatter which deals with the Health requirement for migration. The link is below. Please scroll down until you reach the medical stuff:

http://www.iscah.com/Iscahnewsletter162.pdf

I know LOADS of Registered Migration Agents but I do not know any who claim to be medical professionals as well. Some RMAs are qualified Australian lawyers as well. Others are merely quasi-lawyers.

The best thing you can do is print the relevant part of ISCAH's Newsletter and then get your GP to read it and to tell you what s/he thinks the score might be for you. ISCAH's description is 100% accurate.

Cheers

Gill
      Hi Gill, Thank you for your reply! We decided for me not to work and to be a full time mum to our two girls because of suffering from fatigue (This has not been diagnosed by a GP though, I never went to see him about it) My husband is the sole earner for our family. I intend on staying a full time mum as the children grow up too. I have had two successful pregnancies since my illness (despite being told I may be left infertile due to treatment!) I do not claim any benefits here in the UK because of my illness.

Ten years ago, I *think* I claimed some sort of benefit for about six months while I was unable to work directly after being given the all clearl, but it was so long ago, I can't remember what the benefit actually was. When I actually found out I had cancer, my work continued to pay me for a certain length of time too as I was unable to work during treatment.

My staying home is simply a choice we made for our family. I do get free perscriptions ( I have a medical excemption card) from the NHS because I am on tablets for my Thyroid gland though as the radiotherapy stopped it from working properly.

Thank you for your help Gill!
      Last edited by Rosie1979; 17-04-2012 at 11:47 AM. Reason: spelling

Title
      Liked
      3 times
      Rep
      Rosie,

Very quick response as I am in work! My OH had Non-hog Lymphoma 2 years ago now, (she had a stem cell transplant in June 2010) and is (touch wood) still in remission. WE were living in Sydney when she was diagnosed, and in order to meet the then visa requirements for years service in your chosen field, we applied in June 2011 for a 175 visa. The wait was noted as 18 -24 months then but we were assigned a case officer in Feb 12, and took our medicals in March. After some confusion with the doctor in London the meds were submitted in June this year. I have been noted as "met" but my OH's have been referred! We have now waited 6 weeks and no news, but hear that there is a huge backlog at the MOC.

When I can give you more on what is happening and what the decisions are I will let you know.

F

•