Shipping washing machine, do I need to use screws to secure the drum?

Guest Barney Rubble

Would bolt it in if possible for the sake of it plus the european washers are (sorry, used to be) better quality.

We brought our Zannussi over 20+ years ago and when the bearing went five years later i replaced it and order a new bearing seal for 5 quid and we got another 4 years out of it.

Since then we have had two machines here and i'm a sparky by trade and it was not worth repairing the two aussie ones :nah:

Guest Mitchell
Hi, all, we are shipping our washing machine out to oz and some people have secure the drum with screws in transit and some people havent. Im just wondering do I really need to buy them and Is it worth it? :biglaugh:

Buy the screws? They should come with the washer when you buy it. All manufacturers recommend using them even if you are doing a short move. You paid £100s for it you might as well protect it.

We realised too late that we didn't have the bolts, and couldn't get them in time to ship our John Lewis (zanussi) machine. BUt it survived marvellously. Was worth taking the risk but I would say that if you have time to get the bolts, and you have lost your originals, then get them. If you don't... you will probably find you are ok anyway. So try to sort it but don't stress.

Would bolt it in if possible for the sake of it plus the european washers are (sorry, used to be) better quality.

We brought our Zannussi over 20+ years ago and when the bearing went five years later i replaced it and order a new bearing seal for 5 quid and we got another 4 years out of it.

Since then we have had two machines here and i'm a sparky by trade and it was not worth repairing the two aussie ones :nah:

You sound like a jack of all trades barney! great advice thanks, the only thing were not taking is the fridge, weve got a 20ft container so we may as well fill it, so we'll be on the look out for a fridge when we get there, hope alls well :)

Any reason you're not taking your fridge- won't it fit? Fridges and white goods are much more expensive here. I am so glad we brought ours.

I heard you cant really take european fridges to oz? theyre on a different frequency, oops sounds like im talking bout a radio, but you know what I mean?!! Im selling our fridge now to our tenant, im just gonna put a adpater till hubbs changes the plug :)x

:biglaugh:

Guest Mitchell
I heard you cant really take european fridges to oz? theyre on a different frequency, oops sounds like im talking bout a radio, but you know what I mean?!! Im selling our fridge now to our tenant, im just gonna put a adpater till hubbs changes the plug :)x

:biglaugh:

That's not true. Uk fridges and freezers will work fine here with an adaptor or new plug. However they are not specifically designed to cope with the hot weather here so may not last as long as they would at home. Also I keep far more things in the fridge here than in the uk. all that medical stuff like eye drops that say store below 25 degrees, all your chocolate, and so on. So you may find the fridge that was big enough before is now too small.