Teacher registration!

shelagh1973

I am hoping to complete Teacher reg during my visa validation trip. Has anyone else done this and can you possibly shed some light on the following questions:

Do I have to complete another qualification assessment through the SA TRB? I already did that through AITSL.

Child protection course cert and police cert from UK has to be less than 1 year old. What about IELTS test?

I am not planning to move until Autumn 2013 which means if I apply for registration in August 2012 I will not be working till Sep/Oct 2013 in Australia. Does the registration run out (I know I can only apply for the provisional at first)?

Any light shed on the subject greatly appreciated.

x

I can't help you by answering any of your questions, I'm sorry. However, there is a guy at the SA TRB called Andrew, who deals with assessing qualifications. I would definetly recommend that you give him a bell. He is a really nice fella and is extremely helpful.

Just in case you don't have the number, it's 08 82262666

Paul

Edited by Cherrypecker

I have just registered.

I had to get a 2nd Assessment of qualification completed by SA TRB. I tried sending the one I had completed for the visa process but they insist on it being theirs. (Grr! - yes more cost!)

You will be able to do this now before you visit though if you want.

When you are here on your validation trip you will need to sit the mandatory training course (valid for 3 yrs) in order to get your teaching registration and may wish to do BELS (first aid course.)

Your teaching registration is valid for 3 years too I think... although maybe its only 1 for provisional registrations so I would check this.

The list you need can be found here:

http://www.trb.sa.edu.au/applying.php#overseas

Lauren :-)

Guest m.jephcott

I am just about to finish my top up course to register as a teacher, I am aware that I need to do the mandatory training course but I was also under the impression I need to also do a first aid course. I am a bit confused as I now cannot find this on TRB website, can anyone confirm if this is neccessary and if so where the courses are avaliable.

Thanks

The First Aid Course I sat was Decs-Bels through australia redcross. I have just looked and it has changed its name to ECD Bels. The link for it is here:

http://www.redcross.org.au/fhs/CourseDetails.aspx?CourseID=134218016&VenueId=67108931

I am pretty sure it was compulsory when I completed my registration but not sure if it is now. I think certain schools may ask for it so worth having.

Guest m.jephcott
Jephcott, what do you mean by a top up course? Is that something extra I need to do?

I have had to do an extra year because my teaching course was only a three year one, so no not something that you need to do.

Guest m.jephcott
The First Aid Course I sat was Decs-Bels through australia redcross. I have just looked and it has changed its name to ECD Bels. The link for it is here:

http://www.redcross.org.au/fhs/CourseDetails.aspx?CourseID=134218016&VenueId=67108931

I am pretty sure it was compulsory when I completed my registration but not sure if it is now. I think certain schools may ask for it so worth having.

Hi Lauren

Thanks for the link, I thought it was compulsory and probably worth having anyway just couldn't find it on the requirements for registration, may just be looking in the wrong place.

Hi, noticed that the OP has said they wish to register as a teacher during visa validation trip. Just wondered if you have already had your qualifications assessed? which is first step. Also would like to point out the school year here runs Jan-Dec, so chances of getting job August/Sept greatly reduced.

Don't mean to be an old misery but I keep reading threads from teachers coming over who seem to be panicing about getting a job asap after emigrating. I arrived and seriously hit the ground running job wise, it took me 2.5 months and registering early wouldn't have helped. Please do not bank on teaching quickly, you must plan to give yourself breathing space $ wise.

Hi Keldaz,

I was aware of the school year in Oz. I was interested to hear it took a couple of months to start teaching. Did you start around September too? Is it a bit like the final term in the UK when nobody books supply/relief teachers? We have a year and a bit to save up so hopefully will have something to fall back on.

x

Hi shelagh1973,

I'm sure by now you are getting a feel for amount of stuff you have to go through to cross over. Quals assess, registration, waiting for confirmation of eligibility to teach. Then the wonderful DECS system not! I did not want to supply teach myself at least not till I was settled more. Adelaide is a bit of a rats maze, and I didn't fancy getting stressed behind the wheel as well as teaching in new country. Since we've been here a while, I've been to plenty of courses/meetings and chatted to colleagues at work, so have managed to gain an insite into teaching here, at least at primary level. Supply teaching is the way into the state schools, but can be a day here and there. You seem to need to build your reputation with a few schools, so they ask for you again type thing. Groups of schools can have a supply teacher pool as well. It took me 2.5 months purely due to no jobs advertised. We arrived August, I started November but have had to step back and sideways. Not too sure about limited booking last term here, I'll ask about and post response.

Pleased to here your saving, too many people arrive with no $ safety net, if we had, we would have crashed and burned big time. Good luck.

Hi Keldaz,

There are no RAN courses running while I am on my visa validation trip, at least not ones recognised by DECS. I will have to look at registration closer to the time of moving. Will I have to re-do my IELTS? It will be over a year old! How does teaching compare to here in the UK? Planning, scrutiny, paperwork, OFSTED? I am happy to take a step back... I heard the pay is better although I also heard the cost of living is higher! I will stack shelves if I have to. Will be saving even harder on your advice however...

Thanks for your support

She

The first aid course is not compulsory to register with the TRB but is needed to enable you to become employed to teach.

Hi She, not sure about IELTS, thats the english test isn't it, not something I had to do. No national curriculum here yet, so planning, paperwork, scutiny varies school to school. No OFSTED!!!! Boo Hoo, I'm so upset, not!!!. Yes you will have to take a step back, but hey ho, less stress, more time to self, and mustn't forget the weather, we have never had sunny weather this long ever!. Pay is better, the cost of living is higher, so when you first arrive and convert back to pounds you say How Much! a lot. But once you convert your thinking to $Aus, you realise you are better off.

Love your I will stack shevles attitude, hold onto that, it will serve you well. And once again yes, save then save more, ebay, car boot, whatever. When you first arrive your cashflow flows away from you big time. Still remember being in UK chomping at the bit to come over, so always happy to help.

Very best of luck, Kel.

Ps. Asking about, seems relief teaching slacks off a bit last term as UK.

Guest m.jephcott

Thanks Lyn on the infor about first aid course, takes the pressure of rushing to do that off abit. Also a bit confused now about recognised manadotory training courses now, was going to do one called Child safe environments reporting child abuse and neglect at ATEC noarlunga, they say it is recognised by TRB but does that mean it may nor be recognised by DECS. Could someone point me in the direction of recognised courses, as I don't want to have to do the same course twice. Thanks

Thanks Lyn on the infor about first aid course, takes the pressure of rushing to do that off abit. Also a bit confused now about recognised manadotory training courses now, was going to do one called Child safe environments reporting child abuse and neglect at ATEC noarlunga, they say it is recognised by TRB but does that mean it may nor be recognised by DECS. Could someone point me in the direction of recognised courses, as I don't want to have to do the same course twice. Thanks

I asked the TRB to recommend the courses recognised by both state (DECS) and private schools and they told me that those courses are run by either:

Gowrie Training Centre

Access Program

The CEASA

I've booked onto the Responding to Abuse and Neglect Training Session at Gowrie as it's close by and seemed a bit cheaper than some of there others. You're right to check that the course you do is recognised by all schools or you'll end up paying out twice.

Lyn

Guest m.jephcott

Thanks Lyn for the quick reply, I will check which of those places have a suitable date for me, with all the costs involved I certainly don't want to have to pay twice or delay the process further. Cheers