Stop-over?

flossybeth

Our move has now taken on a life of it's own and instead of the November date we had it mind it looks more like we'll be in Adelaide end of July/beginning of August instead.

What we're umming over now is whether or not to squeeze in a stop-over on our way? We are a family of 5, the children will be 10,9 and 7 when we leave so we'd quite like opinions on good family stop-over locations, please?

We can't leave the UK until after 21st July (end of term) and if everything goes to plan with our initial accomodation we'd need to be in Adelaide by the 31st July. Do you think we'd be better off concentrating on saying bye here and flying straight to Adelaide or can we squish in a day or two somewhere on the way without it being too overwhelming?

Hey, we came over last September and thought the same.. we decide just to come straight here...23 hr was not to bad to be fair even though we still have a 5 hr stop off in singapire.. the last leg of the journey was the drag it just seem hours from Singapore even though I think it was 8 hr I think maybe wrong but it just felt longer than the first half of the trip.. our kids where 15, 10 and 7 at the time and I think the things u can do on planes these days does help..lol.

Have a good trip

Trasi

Hi there

we arrived here in Adelaide a couple of weeks ago and did a 4 night stop over in Singapore - found it a very welcome break to the long flight and the location is good as it's just under 13 hours to Singapore from the UK and just under 7 hours to Adelaide from Singapore so you get the big chunk of the journey out of the way first!

Also (I may be wrong here) I think it's only a 3 hour time difference from Singapore to Adelaide so you can get the jet-lag just about sorted before you even arrive here. We also found it super helpful to stop over on the way to give us a bit of time to get our heads sorted about the huge move we were doing, it's also cheap and easy to get around and the zoo is a fab day out for evveryone in the family

Whatever you decide I wish you all the best of luck - we are really enjoying it here so far!

x

Guest AngPhil

We di our validation trip this time last year and stopped at Singapore on the way for 2 nights. It was great and we hit the ground running when we arrived in Auz (due to the been much more on Auzzie time). On the way home we stopped at Hong-Kong, again for 2 nights. Which really helped.

We fly out from the UK on 29/7 and we are having 3 nights in Singapore this time. We want to get over the flight and emotional stress of leaving the UK. We arrive in Adelaide on 3/8.

To be honest I think I need the stop over more than our children, as I hate flying. The boys are 8 and 12 and were fantastic when we came last year, slept when they should and woke up fresh as daisies.

If you fancy meeting up when we get there give me a shout (our children about the same age). We are staying in Christies Beach for the first 6 weeks.

I would definitely go for it - one thing about Australia is that international flights are expensive as you're so isolated. Whilst you're able to stopover for free, do it! I love Hong Kong, that'd be my number one choice, or you could always look at Thailand, Singapore, KL? Unless money's super tight, make the most of an included stopover - taking a separate trip down the line would cost loads for return airfares for you all.

If we're not talking a few days/a week, and just a few hours - my advice is don't - get the most direct flight you can and just get over here as fast as possible - I've tried lots of options and in my opinion, 2, 4, 10 or 24 hours in Asia en route makes no difference to my jet lag/perkiness upon arrival - just get the journey over with and relax at the other end.

Guest moonraker1959

Most of the time I fly direct,but have once stopped over in KL when I travelled with OH and kids.We stayed for 2 days,to really just break up the flight and we had an amazing time there.Cheap to shop and get around.

Guest Helchops

We're flying Singapore, and stopping in Singapore for 16 - 18 hours (I can't remember which!). We've booked the transit hotel for 12 hours so we can both get some sleep. We'll have a toddler with us, so the idea is that if she doesn't want to sleep we will both at least get some kip for 6 hours each and our babe can sleep when she wants then.

The plan is that we'll be at least semi-concious when we board the ongoing flight to Adelaide and therefore be awake for our 8am arrival in Adelaide!

The best made plans right?!

Singapore is probably the easiest stopover destination - the airport isn't too far from the city and everything always runs smoothly there. There's plenty to do there too. We looked at Hong Kong a few years back and just the transfers to and from the airport made it a lot more expensive. Remember that by having a stopover you will have to pay departure tax for the country you stay in, along with the hotel accomodation, so the costs will add up.

Plenty to see and do at Singapore airport - you may need to take the transit train to another terminal. Would recommend going to term 1 and booking a swim at the hotel. Not too expensive and they provide towels, hot showers and a drink. The orchid and butterfly gardens are great too.

Whatever you decide have a great trip and good luck for when you eventually arrive.

Guest vikkiann

We are thinking of going via Bali!

It works out an extra £300 per person and accomodation is £500 for 6 of us for 5 days.

I think after all of this stress, i deserve a holiday before we get there!

I think if you stop in the airport for a nap though, you don't have to pay departure tax?

That's right, you only pay departure tax if you go out of the airport (through immigration) to the outside world and back in again.

The airport hotel is fab, we used it last time, caught an early (midday-ish) flight out of Heathrow, arrived Singapore about midnight UK time, went straight to the transit hotel and slept for 8 hours, then hung around the airport the next day, had a big breakfast etc and caught the flight to Australia. Although it's a night flight we weren't tired so stayed awake, saw a fantastic huge bush fire burning in the dark over the Northern Territory out the plane window, and arrived feeling fantastic (usually arrive feeling suicidal after the lack of sleep!).