Student Visa & Medical Insurance

Guest K.gordon

Guest K.gordon

Hi there, can anybody let me know if they have come to Australia on a Student Visa and inform me of any issues that arised whilst going through the process? We're registered with an agency and they have been great in letting us know where we stand etc. but what we've just found out is that we may have to pay school fees to the SA Government for 2 years upfront for our daughter who will turn 5 in June. Adelaide International College failed to inform us of this (much to the agents despair) and it will cost us a mere fortune - yet more money upfront!!! Also, medical insurance is an issue, again we have to pay for 2 years upfront but as Australians can access our NHS I've been informed that this is reciprocal for us to acces medical care in Oz, without having to have so called medical insurance. Why do we then need this? Any information that somebody can give will be gratefully received.

We're just so desperate to emigrate, we've been on agents books for 4 years and this is the only pathway for us as my husband has a skill but it isn't on the shortlist. Hopefully all will work out in the end and we should (fingers crossed) be out this July, for me to start my course mid July.

Will keep you all posted.

Thanks for listening, Kate :sad:

Guest K.gordon

an update to our situation - all people coming to South Australia on any type of visa (except permanent resident visa) have to pay international school fees to the Government for children of school age. The costs vary on age but reception through to Year 7 its $3780 per child per year. So this looks like we'll have to pay for 3 years upfront!!! Hadn't budgeted for that either.......

With regards to medical insurance, until we have our permanent resident visa we have to purchase private medical cover for the family - thankfully this has now been done with Medibank.

No doubt I'll be posting something new another day - have a nice day one and all

Kate