Contributory parent visas

Hi, we were hoping mum and dad could apply whilst they were in australia recently, but due to some things beyond our control this was not possible. Mum and dad are now back in the uk and looking to start their application. Does anyone know if they can apply in the uk and then come out whilst they wait for their visa to be granted? Thanks

Hi, we were hoping mum and dad could apply whilst they were in australia recently, but due to some things beyond our control this was not possible. Mum and dad are now back in the uk and looking to start their application. Does anyone know if they can apply in the uk and then come out whilst they wait for their visa to be granted? Thanks

Hello

My mother has a CPV. She was in the UK at the time of the application for the CPV but she went out to Oz 3 weeks after that, using a subclass 676 long-stay Tourist visa:

http://www.immi.gov.au/visitors/tourist/676/

LOADS of CPV applicants do this.

Try to get the CPV application lodged by no later than about 15th June 2012, I suggest. The Australian Government Actuary has now published the Composite Index for 2012/2013 and the AGA recommends that the 2nd Instalment should be increased by 5.5% with effect from 1st July 2012. It is worth getting your Parents to work flat out on their application so that they can lodge it before they get hit with a substantial increase in the 2nd Instalment, I suggest:

http://www.aga.gov.au/publications/#parent

Please shout if you have any other queries because I can probably help.

Cheers

Gill

• 2 months later...
Guest gokichan

Hi Gill,

Thanks for the information.

I plan to apply for CPV 143 for my parents some time in August 2012.

While I am able to pay for the 100K fees, I have a couple of questions.

I have just became PR (885, previous international students) from 22 June 2012, having spent all the time in Aus as BVA, BVB since application in April 2009. Will I be 'settled' as in the requirements ? I have been in full time job for the last 3 years, having a car, and in a rented place.

Should I wait until I become Aus citizen (in less than a year time)? I have been living in Aus since Feb 2005 as international students (for postgrad studies)

Thanks heaps.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Gill,

Thanks for the information.

I plan to apply for CPV 143 for my parents some time in August 2012.

While I am able to pay for the 100K fees, I have a couple of questions.

I have just became PR (885, previous international students) from 22 June 2012, having spent all the time in Aus as BVA, BVB since application in April 2009. Will I be 'settled' as in the requirements ? I have been in full time job for the last 3 years, having a car, and in a rented place.

Should I wait until I become Aus citizen (in less than a year time)? I have been living in Aus since Feb 2005 as international students (for postgrad studies)

Thanks heaps.

Hi Gokichan

Sorry about the delay in replying to you. I haven't visited this forum for quite a while because I haven't had time.

I am not sure about the answer to your question. I am not an Australian-qualified lawyer, and I am not a migration agent either. Time that the sponsor has spent in Australia as a Temporary Resident does count towards the idea that the sponsor has become "settled" in Australia. However, I don't know what the immigration status is of someone who holds a Student visa. Is a Student treated as a Temporary Resident for tax purposes or is a Student deemed to be a "visitor to Australia" instead? Also, what is the status of a Bridging Visa? I don't know, so I think you should get some proper advice about this.

I would suggest that you send an e-mail to (email removed as per forum rules) This is the general e-mail address for the Parents Visa Centre in Perth. Explain your own immigration history, give them the visa number for your subclass 885 visa and ask them to confirm whether or not they would be likely to cause any difficulties with the idea of treating you as a "settled sponsor."

The PVC are behaving very strangely about this issue at the moment. In my opinion, they are trying to ignore the relevant law and they are also trying to apply DIAC's policy rules wrongly. Therefore it is becoming impossible to predict exactly what the PVC might do.

The best thing is to ask them by e-mail so that you have their reply in writing. If they say, "Yes, go ahead," then print the exchange of e-mails and enclose the print out with the visa application. That would probably help to prevent any hassle later on. Please do not rely on the telephone instead. You need a clear paper trail because DIAC do not always keep notes of the conversations that their staff have with people over the phone, so you must get everything in writing, in my view.

I'm sorry that I cannot be of more help but I'm really not sure about how the PVC would react to an application concerning your parents.

Cheers

Gill

Edited by snifter
email

Guest gokichan

Thank you Gill. I've asked 2 lawyers, in Melb and Syd. They said that the time I spent as temporary resident counted towards the total time.