From experience how long does a medical take???

Guest leanne800

Guest leanne800

Hi

Sorry to start a new thread for this as I am sure it has been asked before - I'm still very new to this :smile:

My husband, teenage daughter and myself have got our medicals this Saturday morning at Spire Little Aston Hospital in Sutton Coldfield as they seemed the most practical clinic for us. From experience how long does the medical take? - I was planning on it being all morning and perhaps some of the afternoon.

I just thought if I new roughly what to expect it would help with any white coat syndrome any of us had especially the teenager who hasn't done anything like this before.

Also from looking at other posts am I right in thinking it takes around 3 weeks for most people from having the medicals to hearing if your visa is granted for a SS application. We sent off the request for the PCs around 10 days ago :)

Thanks

Leanne

Hello Leanne

We are a family of three, albeit our son was one at the time of the medical. You're probably looking at the morning to get it all carried out. Not much too worry about, take height, weight, blood pressure, blood tests and xray or chest area carried out and a brief chat with the doctor.

We were in for an afternoon, From memory took roughly 2 - 3 weeks for results.

Good luck with it all.

Cheers

Matt

Hi, I had my medicals done at the same clinic last year. I can't remember exactly how long it took, although I don't think it was much more than about an hour all up (just for me - my husband and kids are Aussie citizens so didn't have to have one).

The staff at the clinic were all really nice and friendly. The way it worked when I went was you have a check with a nurse who asks a few questions, checks weight, height, urine (you have to do a sample there so make sure you drink plenty), blood pressure and takes bloods. You then go through to see the doctor who asks some more questions, listens to your chest and feels your tummy. The doctor will then take you through to have an xray then someone takes you back to the clinc. At some point the lady on the reception desk will take your photo. It was all very relaxed and nothing to worry about.

They will tell you at the clinic how long it takes for the resuts to come back, although I think its something like a week to 10 days. I can't comment on how long it takes for the visa though as I've got a spouse visa which takes 5 to 6 months regardless.

Good luck

Nicola

Guest leanne800

Thanks Matt and Nicola.

I think we'll just be glad when it's over and done with as you always worry you might not pass the medical especially when we've got so far down the line but I guess everyone must feel this way. There will be no wine for us Friday night instead plenty of non alcoholic fluid ready for the urine test :)

Leanne

Guest guest8040

We had ours done last Thursday - 2 adults 7 year old and 4 year old in Edinburgh. Took 2 hours total was not half as bad as I expected just need to repeat my urine test as my flaming monthly arrived 2 hours before - typical!

We did ours at Spire Hospital in Manchester. They took about two hours for two adults and two children.

I phoned them about four days later to find out that we had passed everything.

One thing that shocked me was the stripping to underwear part and then a hospital gown (much to the amusement of hubby and kids) that I wore for the chest X-ray....hubby just stripped to the waist.

They were very organised and must do loads of these Ypres of medicals so they answered loads of questions and were really good.

Anna

Guest leanne800

The urine test was one thing I was worried about with my daughter if it happened to her. Do you just go to the clinic and do another sample when you are there or do you drop a sample off?

Thanks

L

I managed on ay 6 of my monthly and they didn't need a retest. They tell u there and then if you pass that bit as the nurse does a dip stick thingy..

They said its n prob if u have to go back as you just go do that part of it and they can finalise the rest without it..I know as I asked the nurse at the time she was testing mine as I was expecting to fail that part of it.

Guest matt n mel

Took us about 3 hours for all 4 parts of the exam- meeting with 1st person who took photos (even though we took the passport photos) and took down few details, then onto the nurse who did bloods, urine, blood pressure, weight, height etc, then onto dr for clinical examination- in undies checking for track marks in the groin! etc etc as well as joint mobility etc, and then finally on to x-rays.

As much as I tried to glean any info off them, they wouldn't tell me anything! I was asking if I'd passed etc

Good luck to you

mel

Guest ali
Thanks Matt and Nicola.

I think we'll just be glad when it's over and done with as you always worry you might not pass the medical especially when we've got so far down the line but I guess everyone must feel this way. There will be no wine for us Friday night instead plenty of non alcoholic fluid ready for the urine test :)

Leanne

I've got to call the doctors clinic tomorrow to see when I'm supposed to be there. Now the funny thing is I've caught a cold and my lungs are making funny noises. I'm a bit worried but I'm sure the doctor has had cases that have caught a cold before. Will tell you what my doctor tells me though.:smile:

Guest guest8040

Leanne I've got a letter to go to my GPs with asking them to fax/email results. It probably will cost me more which is a pain but at least I don't have to go back to Edinburgh!

We went to Medmigration at Bridgewater in Manchester for ours. It took about 1.5 hours and was fairly straightforward - they were quiet that day though.

My daughter thought it the funniest having to do a urine sample - she'd never done one before.

Our results were uploaded and cleared in days.

All the best!! :smile:

Guest leanne800

Thank you all for your replies. They've been of great help.

At least it won't be a big issue if the monthly arrives for her though she can't seem to remember doing a urine test before and thinks it is funny in a teenage "Kevin and Perry" style!! :biggrin:

Guest leanne800

Just thought Id post an update - We had our medicals this morning and took about 2 hours. It would have been less but but for me!!!

My husbands was all fine, My daughter had her monthly arrive yesterday which is whatI'd cain Id been worried about - even though she wasn't due so needs to have another test at our GP's next week. We then just need the nurse to write the result on letter headed paper and fax to spire.

Then there's me........ my BP was really high as I was worrying so much. I've never had high BP in all the times it has been measured by a gp or doctor which is a few. They tried a twice and then said i'd need to go to the GP for measuring again, blood test, urine test, ECG and another test. This scared me even more as I start a new job next week - long story and the thought of having to get time off for more than 1 appointment scared me even more which made me even more upset. They gave me another chance and left me alone and my BP was ok this time so that figure will be sent off though they suggested I still need to get it checked out - this time remaining calm!! :)

So fingers crossed all will go ok and we will get the results we are after soon.

Leanne

Glad its over with Leanne. Good luck with it. Its really happening. I had mine today as well. Was a little worried about the X-Ray as I had caught a cold. But then the Doc said it was all good.

Cheers:smile: