Medicals - Help Please!!!

Hi all, I know that this has probably been asked a thousand times before but here goes.......

My husband and I and two girls have just been asked to complete our Medicals and police checks - hooray!!!

However, my concern is both my husband and I are both overweight. We have been dieting now and my husband has lost 2 stone and I have lost 1.5 stone, but when doing our bmi we are both still in the overweight category.

Has anyone else been in the same situation and had the Medicals fail due to overweight?

Other than this we are a healthy family, our two girls are both healthy and have no weight issues, and my husband and I have no other medical issues - but I'm just really concerned about it. We have been battling for 18 months with trying to get this far, with the rules changing then not knowing if we could score enough points etc and it has been such a rollercoaster ride and now finally we can see the light and we are so so worried that this will let us down.

I know some of you may be thinking - well we should have tried to lose the weight earlier but as I said at every stage we never knew whether it was going to happen but we have both tried so hard to get it down.

Any feedback would be great. thanks in advance.

Natasha

Guest Twinkle

Hi

My husband and I are both over weight. My husband has a BMI of 33. we have had 2 medicals, one for temporary visa whilst in England and one for permanent visa in Oz. No problems at all.

Hope this helps!!

Guest ali

The way I understand it MC's are all about blood tests and chest X-Ray. They didn't tell me anything about weight. I hope this helps:smile:

The way I understand it MC's are all about blood tests and chest X-Ray. They didn't tell me anything about weight. I hope this helps:smile:

When I phoned and booked the Medicals they said that they will check height, weight, blood pressure and blood tests etc. But they also said that they will check our BMI - this is what is worrying us - I will post after we have had response so that it clears up confusion for any others looking at thread.

Check for more detail on other thread 'Medicals???' but my BMI is 36-37 and our VISA's just been granted with no issues there. I had the same worry.

I think if your medical shows other concerns that might be considered weight-related that is more the issue, eg. diabetes. Drink LOTS of water the day before...

Good Luck!!

http://www.pomsinadelaide.com/forum/adelaide-migration-issues/29828-medicals.html

Edited by hannybabe

Guest leanne800

It was also a worry we had for our medicals on Saturday again as we've got so far down the line.

We've being checking our BMI for a few weeks now and one of is is over and the other is under.

Fingers crossed for you it goes ok :)

Leanne

Hi I'm sure weight alone is not a problem with medicals. As previous posts have said its more medical problems that they look for. My son has a progressive congenital eye condition and is registered partially sighted but he has been granted a visa so I would be very surprised if weight is a major issue.

good luck anyway

Dawn

Hi all,

As promised. We have been and had our medicals done this afternoon. It was infact a lot easier than expected. Had height, weight, blood pressure and blood test first then x-ray then went to see the doctor.

Regarding the weight we asked because we are both overweight would this jeopadise our medicals and he said no but recommended that we both try to lose some weight. Also that New Zealand are more strict on weight rather than Oz.

Good luck to all of you for your medicals upcoming. We should hear back from our results in approx 10 days.

Good luck to all of you for your medicals upcoming. We should hear back from our results in approx 10 days.

Good luck.:smile: Doing the medicals tomorrow morning:smile:

It'll be fine. We're nearly there now!!!

Yes you are right Gus. Have you guys decided on a date to move yet?

It's 1:12 a.m. now and I need to be up around 6:30 a.m. to be able to make the 8:00 o'clock appointment. Can't sleep, trying everything now:wink:

Guest Paula H

Hi ya

I had the same worries as my OH weighed 19 stone so def had a high BMI

HOWEVER

This won't matter as long as the blood pressure is under control (they check for diabetes), so as long as you deep breathe ;) I'm sure it'll be fine

Best of luck, I remember it well, it's such a worrying process but I'm sure it'll be fine xxxx

Yes you are right Gus. Have you guys decided on a date to move yet?

It's 1:12 a.m. now and I need to be up around 6:30 a.m. to be able to make the 8:00 o'clock appointment. Can't sleep, trying everything now:wink:

A lot depends on our house sale, but we live in a nice area, so providing we are realistic with price we should be ok. We are looking at Jan 2013 for me alone for 6-8weeks before the kids and wife join me after I've sorted all the details like rental, bank accounts etc. Hopefully I'll be well on my way to finding a job too!

Don't worry about medicals, there is nothing to be frightened of.

A lot depends on our house sale, but we live in a nice area, so providing we are realistic with price we should be ok. We are looking at Jan 2013 for me alone for 6-8weeks before the kids and wife join me after I've sorted all the details like rental, bank accounts etc. Hopefully I'll be well on my way to finding a job too!

Don't worry about medicals, there is nothing to be frightened of.

Thanks Gus. Feeling my eyelids getting heavy now. So I'll try and doze off to sleep to be fresh and get the freaking medicals over with. :wink:

OK

Just did the medicals and I'm a bit shaken as I had a cold and asked the radiologist twice if that would cause a problem on the report. He said not to worry. :unsure:

But who cares, I've done everything right and by the book. So I'll brush off the worry face, relax and forget all about the 'visa waiting period', :wink:

OK

Just did the medicals and I'm a bit shaken as I had a cold and asked the radiologist twice if that would cause a problem on the report. He said not to worry. :unsure:

But who cares, I've done everything right and by the book. So I'll brush off the worry face, relax and forget all about the 'visa waiting period', :wink:

A cold will have no impact at all on x-rays, so don't worry!

A cold will have no impact at all on x-rays, so don't worry!

Just can't wait for them to send the MC as well so It'll be over with. Any news from your part?:smile:

Guest guest8040

I can't believe how much you pay for how little they do at the medicals. I thought you're blood would be screened for all sorts I was stressing about cholesterol and all sorts (I went on a diet before them and lost 10lbs i was that worried!) but it's just tested for HIV. someone told me at the start of this journey you have a full body scan etc so I was dreading it. The chest x ray is to check you haven't got TB thats it. I paid £90 for my 4 year old to have his height and weight done! Don't worry about it all folks