obtaining a driver's license

Guest ali

Hi guys,

I've never had a driver's license as I didn't feel the need for one. Right now I'm thinking that when I move I definitely need one. So what is the best way to go about getting one for a person who's never driven in his life. Any tips and pointers are welcome.

Cheers,

Ali:smile:

You'll need to take a written test on road traffic laws to get your Learner's Permit. Then you'll need practical instruction and eventually you will be assessed on a practical. There are various ways of doing this in SA.

http://www.sa.gov.au/subject/Transport%2C+travel+and+motoring/Motoring/New+and+young+drivers/Driving+in+South+Australia/Getting+a+driver's+licence

http://www.mylicence.sa.gov.au/

I passed my test about two years ago after 4 failed attempts, nerves. I went for weekly driving lessons with an instructor then decided to buy a car and grabbed anyone that was available for extra lessons.

Maybe worth looking into a week long intensive driving course in your area, maybe a bit costly but a quick way of learning.

Now need to get the wife to pass hers.

Cheers

Matt

I only know the rules for teenagers - but presume they would be the same for any new driver! You need - as said above - to pass a written test, mainly on the Give Way laws here - you can practice here: http://www.raa.com.au/page.aspx?TerID=192&?TerID=1196 and then you get your Ls and Learner permit, and a log book. You can take this test as many times as you like - you just have to pay each time!!

Once you have your Learner's permit, you have to do at least 75 hours logged driving practice, including some at night, within the next two years (if you don't get to the 75 within that time then you just have to retake the written test).

You can do these hours with another qualified driver sitting next to you in a car, or with a qualified instructor, or with a mix of both. You can learn on an automatic car, or a manual car - whichever you do, there is no different to the license you get at the end (which seems wierd to me but what do I know!).

To progress from Ls to Ps you have a choice of an on-the-road test (VORT) (cost about $200) or the log book method, where a qualified instructor ticks off various skills in your log book while you're learning, and when you have a full set of ticks, and your hours, you've passed. You have to do the hours regardless of which method you choose. I highly recommend booking a full day defensive driving course as well - if you keep an eye on the daily deals sites they often do discounts (my daughter's one cost about $100). Driving lessons cost minimum of $1 per minute - usual time is an hour a lesson (obvioiusly $60) or and hour and a half ($90). Good instructors get booked up very quickly, and not all instructors are qualified enough to take you through to the final stages, so check upfront - friend of ours did all her hours with one guy, then had to change to another for the last few before her test and he insisted she have a minimum of another 6 hours with him before he'd put her in!

Once you get your Ps, you can then drive unaccompanied, but there are stricter laws for you - zero tolerance on alcohol for instance. After a year you then get your P2s, which I think you're on for another year (we've not made it that far yet!)

You'll need to take a written test on road traffic laws to get your Learner's Permit. Then you'll need practical instruction and eventually you will be assessed on a practical. There are various ways of doing this in SA.

http://www.sa.gov.au/subject/Transport%2C+travel+and+motoring/Motoring/New+and+young+drivers/Driving+in+South+Australia/Getting+a+driver's+licence

http://www.mylicence.sa.gov.au/

Royd, Thank you for sharing the links. I will most definitely look into them.

Cheers,:smile:

Ali

I passed my test about two years ago after 4 failed attempts, nerves. I went for weekly driving lessons with an instructor then decided to buy a car and grabbed anyone that was available for extra lessons.

Maybe worth looking into a week long intensive driving course in your area, maybe a bit costly but a quick way of learning.

Now need to get the wife to pass hers.

Cheers

Matt

Cheers Matt,

So you were a first timer like me then. Good luck to your wife on her coming driving tests and thanks for sharing your story.:smile:

I only know the rules for teenagers - but presume they would be the same for any new driver! You need - as said above - to pass a written test, mainly on the Give Way laws here - you can practice here: http://www.raa.com.au/page.aspx?TerID=192&?TerID=1196 and then you get your Ls and Learner permit, and a log book. You can take this test as many times as you like - you just have to pay each time!!

Once you have your Learner's permit, you have to do at least 75 hours logged driving practice, including some at night, within the next two years (if you don't get to the 75 within that time then you just have to retake the written test).

You can do these hours with another qualified driver sitting next to you in a car, or with a qualified instructor, or with a mix of both. You can learn on an automatic car, or a manual car - whichever you do, there is no different to the license you get at the end (which seems wierd to me but what do I know!).

To progress from Ls to Ps you have a choice of an on-the-road test (VORT) (cost about $200) or the log book method, where a qualified instructor ticks off various skills in your log book while you're learning, and when you have a full set of ticks, and your hours, you've passed. You have to do the hours regardless of which method you choose. I highly recommend booking a full day defensive driving course as well - if you keep an eye on the daily deals sites they often do discounts (my daughter's one cost about $100). Driving lessons cost minimum of $1 per minute - usual time is an hour a lesson (obvioiusly $60) or and hour and a half ($90). Good instructors get booked up very quickly, and not all instructors are qualified enough to take you through to the final stages, so check upfront - friend of ours did all her hours with one guy, then had to change to another for the last few before her test and he insisted she have a minimum of another 6 hours with him before he'd put her in!

Once you get your Ps, you can then drive unaccompanied, but there are stricter laws for you - zero tolerance on alcohol for instance. After a year you then get your P2s, which I think you're on for another year (we've not made it that far yet!)

Very informative Diane, thank you. About the 75 hours of driving lessons, if I don't get a qualified driver to do this with me and I'll have to book and use an instructor we are looking at a figure of 60$*75 hours am I right? And that is a huge sum of 4,500 $!!!

I'll make sure not to even stand on the driver's side while there is a little alcohol in me.:wink:

Thank you Diane and good luck to your daughter with the completion of the P2s :smile:

Hi Ali

You don't have to do the full 75 hours with an instructor - usual thing is about 12 hours with an instructor, and the rest with family/friend in the passenger seat. What happens with teenagers as far as I can tell is the parents take the son/daughter out for the majority of the hours, then when all their hair has gone completely white, they have taken up drinking very strong alcohol and smoking anything they can get their hands on, and they have a permanently haunted look in their eyes and a nervous twitch at all times (this is the parents I'm talking about) - they book the last 12 or 15 hours for their offspring with an instructor who has dual controls in their car, and who the teenager actually listens to.... I'm sure that won't be the case with you, though!!

Darling daughter is still on her Ls, but we've definitely reached the "need a professional" stage!

I learnt driving only a couple of months ago and just completed 75hrs. I am now getting ready for the road test. I took 12 lessons with an instructor and completed compulsory 75hrs with family and friends. You may not need that many Hours with an instructor.

The rules are the same for teenagers and adults but if you are over 25yrs then you can apply for a P license after 6 months.

The details of the tests are given in the links by other members. I found RAA site was more user friendly.

Do let me know if you need anything specific.

All the best.

Guest Guest75

Just let me know when the lessons are................................ I'll make sure I am out fishing:swoon::swoon::tongue:

Good luck. Not that bad here at all.

I had convert my UK licence the old fashioned way and take a driving test.

Hi Ali

You don't have to do the full 75 hours with an instructor - usual thing is about 12 hours with an instructor, and the rest with family/friend in the passenger seat. What happens with teenagers as far as I can tell is the parents take the son/daughter out for the majority of the hours, then when all their hair has gone completely white, they have taken up drinking very strong alcohol and smoking anything they can get their hands on, and they have a permanently haunted look in their eyes and a nervous twitch at all times (this is the parents I'm talking about) - they book the last 12 or 15 hours for their offspring with an instructor who has dual controls in their car, and who the teenager actually listens to.... I'm sure that won't be the case with you, though!!

Darling daughter is still on her Ls, but we've definitely reached the "need a professional" stage!

I understand Diane. Yes it'd be very hard to make them listen to you with all the excitement of sitting behind the wheel and driving. :smile:But is it really that bad? Thank you again for the advice Diane, like always clear and to the point. :smile:

I learnt driving only a couple of months ago and just completed 75hrs. I am now getting ready for the road test. I took 12 lessons with an instructor and completed compulsory 75hrs with family and friends. You may not need that many Hours with an instructor.

The rules are the same for teenagers and adults but if you are over 25yrs then you can apply for a P license after 6 months.

The details of the tests are given in the links by other members. I found RAA site was more user friendly.

Do let me know if you need anything specific.

All the best.

Thank you Sunnyside. So how long did it take you to complete the 75 hours? And I'm 34 so I can apply for a P license after 6 months. That's good news:smile:

Thank you again:smile:

Just let me know when the lessons are................................ I'll make sure I am out fishing:swoon::swoon::tongue:

Good luck. Not that bad here at all.

I had convert my UK licence the old fashioned way and take a driving test.

:biglaugh:I'll wait until you get back from the sea :biglaugh:

So you started the whole thing from scratch? Interesting Tyke, I bet not that many people would do what you've done.:wink:

I'll try to keep it under 150 KM/H for the sake of the instructor :biglaugh: