7 year old son not convinced - help needed

Guest guest8040

Guest guest8040

Having got our visa this week we have taken the big step of sitting the kids down this morning and seeing what they think. Our 7 year old just does not want to go as it means leaving his friends. I know as an adult he will make new friends and it will be forgotten about but as parents we really feel for him as it is such a big thing in his head. We've had to be honest and say yes he will have to leave his friends behind but can anyone offer any other tips to make him feel happier about it? Anyone who's been through it with your own kids, your help would be greatly appreciated! Mel

Guest Mrs Bon Jovi

We brought Oz into lots of conversations through the whole process but didn't actually tell our two we were going until we had our visa but by that point a lot of the good things Australia had going for I were already in their heads. Our oldest is 7 and one of her classmates actually moved to Oz a few months before us too. They were both sad to be leaving school, their friends and basically everything they had ever known. Last day of school was absolutely awful, for me as well as them but once you are past that point and get on the plane it is an adventure for them. Keeping him busy doing things he will enjoy when you get here will help him settle - take time out of house hunting and all the stuff you need to do on arrival. We took Anya to look round school 2 days after we arrived and her little face lit up when she saw the outdoor playgrounds and everything that they have! We met the head teacher and her teacher she would have if she went and when we left she said she couldn't wait to start school there. She went to Brownies in the uk so started at guides here too and has slowly but surely made friends. We also set her up her own email address before we left which I gave to the mums of her friends so they can write and send photos back and forth.

I will be hard for him and as long as you acknowledge that and be honest and supportive of him I'm sure he will be ok.

My 7 year old doesn't seem in the slightest bit fazed about moving but my 10 year old is really worried about missing his best friend. They've been best friends since reception so it's not really surprising. We are going to set him and his firend up with a skype account so they can keep in touch and they have said about still both being able to play Moshi Monsters as well. We keep telling him he will make new friends and have shown him the website of the school we're hoping to get him in which has made him feel more involved. It helps with us that my husbands family is there (he's from Adelaide), so we also say about being able to visit family. Being closer to the beach is also a big selling point for my son and we've said he can learn to surf.

It's a big change for them so it's normal for your son to be apprehensive, but I'm sure he'll be fine once you get settled in. Good luck.

Nicola

Guest guest8040

Thankfully we has kept all our recordings of Wanted Down Under so we've shown him one this afternoon and he's coming round a bit!

Guest AngPhil

My youngest is 8. We arrive on 3rd August, he's feeling nervous too. Not sure when you are planning on getting to Adelaide, but if you fancy meeting up so the boys can play let me know. It's always nice knowing a few people.

I'll settle once the boys have. x

Guest guest8040

We're looking at between feb and April next year but it would be great for him to have someone to meet up with right away so will def take you up on that! Hope it all goes well and will keep a look out for your posts in August. Thank you x