Looking for advice!!

Guest Roobarb

Guest Roobarb

Hi All

I'm a newbie and have been doing my nosey about the site as we're intrested in moving over to Oz. I have to say what a great site this is and you all seem really friendly so i hope that you don't mind me dropping in.

My hubby and i currently live in not so sunny Scotland. I've been to Oz a few times and travelled about a bit. The idea of moving over to Oz has been one that i've had for many years that keeps popping up. I now have a 9 month old wee boy and have decided that we need to give it a try at least.

We got advised today that the best way for us to get in would be a State sponsored visa and that SA has my occupation and my husbands on their in demand list. So really i'm just looking for some general advice on Adelaide, any hints or tips that you would give if you were doing the whole process again, where best to stay etc etc. We'd be looking for something cheap and cheerful but in a nice area, close to the beach good short commute to CBD (not wanting much eh!).

I've been to Adelaide once a good few years ago mainly stopped through on way to Kangaroo island - did the visit to Glenelg etc, but didn't really pay too much attention wish i had now. We're coming over to Oz in Sep had originally only planned to visit Perth and Sydney but will now see if we can afford to squeeze in a quick reccie trip to Adelaide too - so if anyone could help us with what we NEED to look at or see in 2/3 days with regard to migrating your help would be much appreciated.

Oooohhh this is soooo exciting and we haven't even applied yet.

Thanks for your help :) mucho gracias!!!

Alison, Alan & Daniel xxx

Guest Rachael

Hi Alison

Excitement is one emotion you'll feel during your visa journey, but loads of others will come along with it! You'll find loads of info on here if you've got time to read it all. Best of luck.

Rachael. :cute:

What are your occupations? Depends on what your occupations are and what you are going to Adelaide for. I am going for permanent 175 visa as a midwife and will have permanent visa from arriving in Adelaide and this entitles us to medicare benefits and other benefits. Don't forget information and entitlements vary from state to state, so the information on this site applies only to Adelaide. State sponsored may mean committed to working with same employer for set period of time, independant gives you more choice. Adelaide has changed loads in the last few years so what you saw a few years ago may not apply now. I visited in 2005 and my mates over there have told me that Adelaide has changed loads since I visited them.

My family live in Glasgow, OH family from Liverpool, best of both worlds. Hope it all goes well for you. I don't know much about Adelaide but will answer any questions I can.

Hi All

I'm a newbie and have been doing my nosey about the site as we're intrested in moving over to Oz. I have to say what a great site this is and you all seem really friendly so i hope that you don't mind me dropping in.

My hubby and i currently live in not so sunny Scotland. I've been to Oz a few times and travelled about a bit. The idea of moving over to Oz has been one that i've had for many years that keeps popping up. I now have a 9 month old wee boy and have decided that we need to give it a try at least.

We got advised today that the best way for us to get in would be a State sponsored visa and that SA has my occupation and my husbands on their in demand list. So really i'm just looking for some general advice on Adelaide, any hints or tips that you would give if you were doing the whole process again, where best to stay etc etc. We'd be looking for something cheap and cheerful but in a nice area, close to the beach good short commute to CBD (not wanting much eh!).

I've been to Adelaide once a good few years ago mainly stopped through on way to Kangaroo island - did the visit to Glenelg etc, but didn't really pay too much attention wish i had now. We're coming over to Oz in Sep had originally only planned to visit Perth and Sydney but will now see if we can afford to squeeze in a quick reccie trip to Adelaide too - so if anyone could help us with what we NEED to look at or see in 2/3 days with regard to migrating your help would be much appreciated.

Oooohhh this is soooo exciting and we haven't even applied yet.

Thanks for your help :) mucho gracias!!!

Alison, Alan & Daniel xxx

Guest Libby1971

Hi

Welcome to PIA

If you are looking at a state sponsored visa, this means that you need to find your own job. You don't say what it is that you do so I can't be as specific but have a look at where your jobs could be...i.e. if something to do with mining, go near the mines and see what the suburbs near that area are like. Alternatively if heading for Flinders Hosp (for example), have a look at the southern suburbs. I would also be making sure you drive around in traffic during rush hour and outside of it so you know what your journey times might be.

Spend half a day driving from North of City to south of it and see likely areas for living in. If you don't like where you might be living, you need to rethink.

Also if wanting to have a house near the coast, have alook on the other side of road too. Hallett Cove is very popular but Sheidow Park and Trott Park are on the other side of road, not a huge difference and yet real estate agents will tell you that there is a saving of at least $20k to be made just by crossing a road.

That's Day One sorted!

Day 2

I would go to Hahndorf or Stirling, in the Hills. Lovely places. Or the Barossa Valley - Turkey Flat, Jacobs Creek, BEthany, Rockford wineries or McLaren Vale for some wine tasting...go to Bend Creek, Parri Estate, Woodstock winery.

These are my suggestions but then again I have older children so this might not be that feasible.

Good luck.

Libby