Help Getting a Visa for Self-Employed

Guest CrazyCatL80

Guest CrazyCatL80

Hi there,

I am being transferred to Oz by my company and my boyfriend wants to join me. He is self-employed. He does motion graphics animation (and much more in that realm), which is on the SOL, so that part isn't a problem. I called the Australian embassy and they told me that he would have to apply for a 457 Visa and find a sponsor since we can not prove we are in a De Facto relationship. Is there anyone who might be able to provide different information? Perhaps I didn't provide her with enough information or I just asked the wrong questions. I have been on the http://www.immi.gov.au/ site and am overwhelmed by all the information. It looks like he could attempt to become a migrant worker, but I would think that would not be an easy process and I am not sure he would want permanent residency in Australia (though he wouldn't be opposed to it if it was not a painful process, which I would think it would be if it is anything like it is in the U.S.).

Any help you guys can provide would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thank you SO much,

Wendy

Guest ladyarkles

Why can't you prove you are in a De Facto relationship, if you don't mind me asking?

Don't you share any bank accts, utility bills, financial/tenancy agreements?

You can get supporting statements from friends that know your relationship is genuine.

Photos of you together at various different functions also go towards your case.

Have you been together long?

Proving de facto is not particularly difficult if you have been together for a while.

~ Rachel

Guest CrazyCatL80

Hi ladyarkles!

We don't have anything in both of our names at this point. Because he raises a teenage daughter on his own, we have taken things slowly in that regard. I also planned to wait until we got a house together (in an apartment now) to officially change my address since I pay everything online anyway (right now it is my mom's address, so I get my mail when I go to visit her). We certainly have photos of us togeter (on vacation in Maui last June, visiting his grandfather in Kansas twice, at a friend's wedding, etc.) and our friends and family could certainly attest to us having been together since last February (2011). We are very committed to each other (obviously if he's moving both him and his daughter to Australia to be with me), so it is frustrating that it could come down to us not having bills in our name together. :-( Any suggestions?

Thanks again to you and to keldaz for your responses!!

Guest ladyarkles

I'm not an expert on this stuff, and can only tell you what was the case for us.

There are lots of members here who are far more knowledgeable than I am on these matters.

Hopefully, one of them will drop by and give you some more information.

You may find this link useful: http://www.immi.gov.au/media/fact-sheets/35relationship.htm

Hope it all works out for you both.

~ Rach xx

• 2 weeks later...
Hi there,

I am being transferred to Oz by my company and my boyfriend wants to join me. He is self-employed. He does motion graphics animation (and much more in that realm), which is on the SOL, so that part isn't a problem. I called the Australian embassy and they told me that he would have to apply for a 457 Visa and find a sponsor since we can not prove we are in a De Facto relationship. Is there anyone who might be able to provide different information? Perhaps I didn't provide her with enough information or I just asked the wrong questions. I have been on the http://www.immi.gov.au/ site and am overwhelmed by all the information. It looks like he could attempt to become a migrant worker, but I would think that would not be an easy process and I am not sure he would want permanent residency in Australia (though he wouldn't be opposed to it if it was not a painful process, which I would think it would be if it is anything like it is in the U.S.).

Any help you guys can provide would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thank you SO much,

Wendy

From what you have posted, it seems that you probably have several viable visa strategies. May I suggest you consult a registered migration agent?