Teaching help needed - Can you teach in a private school without Trb registration???

Josie

Hello all,

We are SOOOOOO excited to be moving over to SA in September 2012 - We will be living in Port Noarlunga for a month before finding somewhere brighton way. As a teacher, I have booked myself on the courses I need for Trb registration and all is good but sadly my husband (who is also a teacher) has only 3 years higher education so he can't teach. GRRRR! So daft as I did a useless sociology degree for 3 yrs and then a PGCE and he trained for 3 years as a Primary School Teacher and apparently I am more qualified than him!!!

Anyhow, moan over... well almost... has anyone else been in this situation?.. can you do an evening course for a year to get that extra year he needs? Can he still teach at a Private School or is that Trb registration crucial??? Any advice would be appreciated!

We are buzzing about the move - just this black cloud that is ruining things a little.....

Any advice would be appreciated...

Thank you lots!

Hi Josie,

Sounds like you've got your visa sorted and that you are getting closer to starting your new life over here. Exciting times!

I have just been through the whole TRB registration debacle since arriving here and I, like you, did a PGCE and so I'm not really sure how your OH goes about converting his teaching degree, I'm afraid.

However, you cannot teach in any South Australian school, public, private or Catholic without registering with the TRB first. Maybe try contacting the TRB and asking their advice on how your OH can convert his qualifications. I've always found them very helpful whenever I've phoned them, even if they are frustratingly slow at all their administrative processes!

Good luck and feel free to ask any other questions I might be able to help you with.

Lyn x

Hey Josie, its lovely to hear somebody so excited about moving over. Thanks for your PM, I will get Kelly to reply this time when she gets a chance. Someone she works with may know the answer to your questions. Hubby may be able to work in a pre-school or something, while he completes extra training.

Be in touch soon, Darren x.

Guest pixie7

Hi no sorry he wouldnt be able to teach in any schools- private/catholic/ preschool etc until he is "qualified" in the ozzie sense! Mad I know!

At least you willl be all ready to go (dont forget to get First Aid qualification), maybe he could do part time at a Out of School Hours Club (OSHC)- he would be qualified for this as he was a UK teacher and do another year or so to become qualified in Oz? Goodluck and PM me if you need any help (I'm a teacher- not teaching though yet! living near Brighton)

Guest AngPhil

Hi Josie,

When are you booked on the courses? I am doing the 1st aid course on 5th September at Hindermarch (and the mandatory training on 7th August). I'm secondary maths, but it is all very exciting. I haven't started looking for jobs yet, but ideally would like something part time.

Ang

Guest Jennet
Hi Josie,

When are you booked on the courses? I am doing the 1st aid course on 5th September at Hindermarch (and the mandatory training on 7th August). I'm secondary maths, but it is all very exciting. I haven't started looking for jobs yet, but ideally would like something part time.

Ang

where in Leeds will you be moving from??:smile:

Guest AngPhil
where in Leeds will you be moving from??:smile:

Hi Jennet,

We live in Bingley at the moment, my husband is from Pudsey. When are you making the move?

Ang

Guest Jennet
Hi Jennet,

We live in Bingley at the moment, my husband is from Pudsey. When are you making the move?

Ang

Bingley yes i now it well, i'm in Horsforth we move out on the 3rd July :rolleyes::jiggy:

Hi. Just a bump on this thread.

My husband is a preschool educator, and we will be migrating over to SA nx december. What are the preschool opportunities like over at SA?

He holds a masters in early childhood education.

Guest Guest75
Hi Jennet,

Ang

I know Pudsey well. Born and bred around there , and Farsley and Bramley!

Guest Watkinsfamily

Hi, I am also on the mandatory training on the 7th August and the 1st aid course on 30th and 31st July. Hope to get my skills assessed and registration started before I leave (I am only over for a month doing a reccie) hope to arrive properly this time next year. ANY help with skills assessment and teacher registration gratefully received. Many thanks hope to meet some of you this summer. X

Guest Jennet
I know Pudsey well. Born and bred around there , and Farsley and Bramley!

LOL have friends in Farsley and my brother is in Bramley also neice, I work with people from Bramley too

Hi, I am also on the mandatory training on the 7th August and the 1st aid course on 30th and 31st July. Hope to get my skills assessed and registration started before I leave (I am only over for a month doing a reccie) hope to arrive properly this time next year. ANY help with skills assessment and teacher registration gratefully received. Many thanks hope to meet some of you this summer. X

Hi Paula,

I've just been through the skills assessment and teacher registration with the TRB. Let me know if there's anything I can help with as you go through the process.

Lyn x

Guest Watkinsfamily

Hi Lyn,

Many thanks it is all a bit alien to me at the moment, I need to get my skills assessed but not sure if I can do it from here (I am not currently living or working in the UK and not easy to get certified copies etc. required) How long do you think my skills assessment will take to go through? I am in Adelaide for a month and wanted to do this and register to teach before I leave - I am not too worried about my registration coming through too quickly as I am not moving there to live until probably next summer. (Or winter in your case) Any help gratefuly received. Many thanks - do you have a job yet??

P X

Hi Lyn,

Many thanks it is all a bit alien to me at the moment, I need to get my skills assessed but not sure if I can do it from here (I am not currently living or working in the UK and not easy to get certified copies etc. required) How long do you think my skills assessment will take to go through? I am in Adelaide for a month and wanted to do this and register to teach before I leave - I am not too worried about my registration coming through too quickly as I am not moving there to live until probably next summer. (Or winter in your case) Any help gratefuly received. Many thanks - do you have a job yet??

P X

Hi Paula,

My skills assessment took 5 weeks once I handed everything into the TRB and then the registration took another 2 weeks on top of that. You cannot submit your registration papers until your skills assessment report has been produced (as I said, that took 5 weeks for me). I handed mine into the TRB office in person but you can post your documents from overseas. They did look at my originals as well as taking my certified copies so you'd have to check direct with the TRB to see if they're happy just to accept your certified copies through the post. I found the TRB really helpful whenever I phoned with a query about the process so don't be afraid to make contact with them and they will answer your questions straight away.

I am only after casual teaching work as my OH is working full-time and we have a 5 year old son so I'm just doing TRT work. I have had a couple of days a week of teaching work since I registered which has been perfect. One of those schools has now offered me a temporary contract for next term so there is work out there.

Lyn x

Guest Watkinsfamily

Thanks Lyn I think I will try and get my skills assessed during my visit for a month and then leave the remaining paperwork with my friend who lives in Adelaide already so she can submit for me once I leave.

I won't need to use it until July 2013 I think. Does your teacher registration run out once you have registered?

Thanks again I am sure I will be in touch with more questions! XX

Thanks Lyn I think I will try and get my skills assessed during my visit for a month and then leave the remaining paperwork with my friend who lives in Adelaide already so she can submit for me once I leave.

I won't need to use it until July 2013 I think. Does your teacher registration run out once you have registered?

Thanks again I am sure I will be in touch with more questions! XX

Hi Paula,

TRB registration lasts for 3 years before it is up for renewal. Just make sure you keep them informed of your latest postal address each time you move and they will be able to stay in touch with you. Feel free to ask anything as you go through and I will help if I can.

Good luck with it all.

Lyn x

• 5 months later...
Guest dhanam.ravi
Hi Josie,

Sounds like you've got your visa sorted and that you are getting closer to starting your new life over here. Exciting times!

I have just been through the whole TRB registration debacle since arriving here and I, like you, did a PGCE and so I'm not really sure how your OH goes about converting his teaching degree, I'm afraid.

However, you cannot teach in any South Australian school, public, private or Catholic without registering with the TRB first. Maybe try contacting the TRB and asking their advice on how your OH can convert his qualifications. I've always found them very helpful whenever I've phoned them, even if they are frustratingly slow at all their administrative processes!

Good luck and feel free to ask any other questions I might be able to help you with.

Lyn x

Hai Lyn

I have recently arrived in adelaide. I am gratuated in india and have B.Ed degree. i went to TRB in south australia.They said first i have to go in for qualification assesment of degrees. and foremost i should have more than 45 days of teacher-student Practicum in teacher practice. In my B.ed mark sheet it is stated that i have undergone teacher student practicum,but it doesnot say that particularly for how many days. the official who counselled me said that unless and untill i get such a type of teaching practice certificate from my institution,i can't get my qualification assessed . is there any other possibility of skiping or going for alternative thing?

and one more doubt is that if i do certificate IV in Training and Assessment or Diplomo in Graduate education, still do i have to show more than 45 days of teacher -student practicum? please help me out. i am in a desperate mood .

with hope

Dhanam

Hai Lyn

I have recently arrived in adelaide. I am gratuated in india and have B.Ed degree. i went to TRB in south australia.They said first i have to go in for qualification assesment of degrees. and foremost i should have more than 45 days of teacher-student Practicum in teacher practice. In my B.ed mark sheet it is stated that i have undergone teacher student practicum,but it doesnot say that particularly for how many days. the official who counselled me said that unless and untill i get such a type of teaching practice certificate from my institution,i can't get my qualification assessed . is there any other possibility of skiping or going for alternative thing?

and one more doubt is that if i do certificate IV in Training and Assessment or Diplomo in Graduate education, still do i have to show more than 45 days of teacher -student practicum? please help me out. i am in a desperate mood .

with hope

Dhanam

Hi Dhanam,

Yes, you do need to prove that you have 45 days of teaching practice as part of your teaching qualification. My university paperwork did not state this so I had to write to my university in the UK and ask for written proof that my course contained more than 45 days, which it did. If your course did not contain 45 days of teaching practice then you will have to ask the TRB how you can convert your teaching qualification so that it is recognised here in South Australia.

I'm sorry but I don't know about the certificate IV or Graduate Education Diploma as I have never had experience with those qualifications.

Good luck.

Lyn