How much...?

scooterdan

Hey peeps,

Just wondering how much.....roughly.....is everyone taking when you first skip the UK?

Does everyone have a bank set up is the UK b4 they go..? I keep looking at them and put it off...... so much information to take in!

We are hoping to go with about £20000 total, how long could i live on that, what with getting a car and all that? Obviously i will be job hunting when i arrive so hope to have some income, and my OH as well.

Probably a bit premature to be asking but can never be to prepared!

Dan and Steph

Guest dglamoore

Hi Dan and Steph

We used the migrant banking services with westpac and was all quite easy - filled in form , faxed it and got an email with account numbers in. Have even managed to set up internet banking from this end do could check money had arrived ok when HIFX transferred it a few weeks ago :lol:

We are taking enough to live on for a couple of years while business gets up and running, buy a car, sort rental etc. It is hard to work out exactly how much you will need but I know others that have gone over with much less than you are taking and are managing fine.

Lisa :D

Guest betty22

hi,

We used the commonwealth bank, set up the account before we left the UK.You set it up in London and then they just transfer it to OZ. When you get here yopu get an appointment with the migrant banker, currently Liz, and she will sort out all your needs and cards etc. they have been great. No problems with mortgage, credit cards etc.

we got a car for $6500 just to run around in and have only just traded it in after 2 years!! and I only had to have 2 new tyres (not bad for a 15 year old car). Seriously though you pay quite a bit for the second hand cars here but saying that 10-15 year old cars are in excellent nick as they do not rust and the engines are exceptionally clean as there is no shit/wet/salt on the roads. you should get a nice runner that will last for under 10k. Go for a Toyota, very reliable.

Liz