Is there a right time to come to Adelaide ?

sush

Hi there, i just wanted to ask a question to those who have been here a while,

Is there a right time to move to Adelaide, bearing in mind end of tax year, start of summer, does the job market pick up in the summer etc...

Just wanted to know your thoughts

Thanks

Sush.

:cute:

Guest pixie7

Hi Sush, we arrived first week of January this year- for us the wow of summer was great (its raining now and has been for at least 3 days!) but the job market is dead until February- probably depends on your jobs as well but December and January are not good job hunting months as kids summer hols until end of Jan and lots of events.

I personally would not like to arrive in the winter, feels like UK! I think in those first few months of stress and sorting things out you need to be reassured why you did it. For us alot of the reason to do it was the outdoor life and the weather, so when things are stressful a walk on the beach and the words which we still utter in amazment now "We live here!" make everything better!

Only downside of moving when when we did was moving out of our rental into our house, ikea , OH dressed in a suit for interviews - all in 95 degree heat :)

Goodluck!

Guest Crushfamily

I agree if you arrive in Winter you'd want to be getting straight back on the plane but Spring/Summer weather puts a whole new spin on things. Jobwise you need to be established and looking for work no later than the beginning of October IMHO

As Pixie7 said the job market lulls out over summer (Dec-Feb) so avoid then or just before. I reckon the best time is early spring (Australian), say end August/September as this hopefully gives you enough time to get established before the summer lull (and the hot weather). Also you get 2 summers in a row and moving around the equinox (Sept 21) the days are about the same length and the temperature is similar. Not much fun going from extreme winter cold/darkness to extreme summer heat/lightness or vice versa. Obviously the same can be said of March but then you get 2 winters in a row!!

I, mostly, don't agree. If you're moving half way around the world then theres loads more important stuff to consider than if its hot or cold when you arrive. That said, everything does shut down over Christmas / Jan so I'd give that a miss. If you were being really picky then arriving just at the start of the new tax year may be a very minor advantage. If you want to move then just move - don't muck about dipping your toes in the pool, climb the highest diving board and jump.

We would have loved to have come in late August, early September but had to wait to sell the house. Made it at the beginning of October (- Spring) and it was perfect for us but we are retired so the job market wasn't an issue. Nice to have 2 summers though!

Guest leeannekays

We arrived end of April and we are glad we did, the weather was sunny but not hot and had so much to do in the first few weeks with the children, we are really enjoying it here, even though it has rained the last few days. Still been out every weekend seeing and visiting places. We have the summer to look forward to.

Leeanne

Someone said something about getting two summers, but surely the only way to do that is if there is summer in the UK in the first place, and we haven't had much of one so far.......

We originally planned to move at the end August / beginning of September for similar reasons about getting a UK summer and missing the Adelaide winter and going into spring when the weather can be really nice without being too hot. In the end my Husband got offered a job and starts on July 4th so he's going out next week and me and the kids are following three weeks later when they have (nearly) finished the school year. We have agreed a sale on the house and are nearly at completion stage but we would have gone anyway and left my family to sort the house if it had not sold.

I think the best time to move to Adelaide is when it fits in best for you.