Airport Goodbyes

Guest macu68

Just a quick question to anyone who has gone to Australia on the 'farewell UK flight', or anyone elses thoughts on this. We have been thinking how emotional the departure from UK will be for us and our children who will be leaving their home, family, friends and everything they know behind. Our thoughts have been to ask family not to come to the airport to say goodbye as this can be done before we leave. We are planning a get together so everyone we know can come round say goodbye, good luck etc. We are thinking that we would like to leave without our children going through the painful airport hysteria as we walk through the departure gate seeing our families upset. Does this make me sound as though I am depriving our families of their 'last goodbye' or should I consider our feelings? I know this will be an emotive topic but just wanted to know what others have done, what they felt at the time and how they have reflected on the goodbye and if they wished they had the big airport goodbye or glad they did/didn't or wished that they hadn't bothered.

Interested to know others experiences and feelings.

It's entirely down to personal choice really. Speaking from our own experience, we asked that we be allowed to go off by ourselves without anybody waving us off. We've got two small children and it would have been horrible for them to be walking through the departure gate with grandparents sobbing hysterically behind them. We had a huge party before we left (we combined the leaving party with our wedding reception - bloody cheapskates...) the idea being that we would say all our goodbyes there. Of course we ended up trailing round all the rellies in the two days before we left but the main thing is, we went off to Heathrow with a clear conscience. It's stressful enough as it is, you don't need to be comforting grandma whilst you're searching for your boarding pass.....:swoon:

Thats our thinking, just wanted to sound it out and see if anyone regretted not doing it or done it and it wasn't as bad as they thought it would be. Long way off for us and I am sure once I have something decent to worry about it will be back to the big party and just us at the airport.

Hi,

Like you my thoughts are the same - I personally don't want anyone else to be at the airport with us - I'll be emotional enough on my own (I don't even have any relatives here to leave behind!!).

We're a way off planning the exit yet, but its always at the back of your mind though.

Kim x:D

Guest massive

Hi Mary,

I suppose its up to the individual but we're with you we're thinking of having a farewell party but will go it alone at the airport. All along I have said that when it is time to go I/we will just treat it like a holiday to get over what will obviously be a very emotional time and so that the children don't get upset by everyone elses reactions including our own we will leg it through departures without looking back:(and hope all will be worth it in oz

Takecare for now

Debbie (mrs massive)

Guest Nicky&Andy

:wacko:same for us , we personally would want the kids to exit more in a holiday frame of mind so leaving wont be compared to an emotional upseting time, i want this to be the best experience for them, so hopefully everyone will understand!!:jiggy:

mary am the same,dont no wheather to have a party or do something with each of my rellies.

as for the airport its defo going to be just us guys,got to be as brave as possible for the childrens sake.

dont want me

to be giving off upsetting unhappy vibes! just nicey nicey happy exciting ones to get them on the plane LOL

suexxx

Guest Guzzler&Sas

Hi,

This is the worst part of the process and there is no easy way of doing it, my advice would be to say your "goodbyes" behind closed doors and not to drag them out at the airport.

In our case the last couple of days everyone (us and parents) were all a bit subdued,awaiting that time.On the day in question we packed the car, said our very emotional goodbyes as quickly as possible, when we drove off and out of sight I swear to God the relief was unreal and we could start to enjioy our "new life".

Adding to this when Sarah's parents visited last year the goodbyes got no easier, only this time I took them to the airport (to make sure they bloody left:)) and Sarah and the girls stayed at home.

Everyone about to do this I feel for you, be strong, positive and hello Oz

Good luck

Guzzler

Guest Nicky&Andy

:jiggy:hi dan & steph, if we didnt have the kids we would want every one there, good luck when you go , keep us posted how you get on , what the flight was like , first empresions etc, wont be long for you now but i bet the waiting will feel like a lifetime

Take care

nicky

Guest Guest75

We said most of our goodbyes the night before we left.

Some of our reli's were taking us to the airport so we could not avoid one goodbye.

Trouble is they were late and we nearly missed the plane!!!!:skeptical:

Guest joy and terry

Hi Mary and Family

Our daughter left in August and we stayed with her till she went through departure, it was so upsetting. She had to come back to the UK due to a death in the family and when she reurned to Australia on Thursday she insisted that we dropped her off at the airport and went. That was so much better, I would recomend it done that way.

Joy and Terry

Guest donna T

We must be gluttons for punishment as we took my Mum and Dad, Russ's Mum and Dad, my 3 best mates and my Sister in LAw all to the airport. It was very emotional but no less than if we had gone by ourselves. I know my parents were pleased to have waved us off rather than sitting at home wondering what we were doing. The kids were pretty oblivious as the very exciting departure lounge loomed so there was no trouble there.

I have just said goodbye to my parents this morning in Adelaide after a 6 week visit and did the same thing - we all took them to the arport and had a last coffee - still very emotional but I knew they had checked in okay, it was a bit more real for the kids and no worse than it would have been saying our farewells at home as they drove off to the airport.

As everyone says, each to their own but this sort of worked for us

:)Hi there

We said our goodbyes in two stages - we said goodbye to Andys parents and then two days later said goodbye to my mum and sister. The goodbyes to Andy's mum and dad were awful - Andy's parents are 80 and the thought that this could be the last time we saw them was at the forefront of our minds. Andys sister was there too and her last words to us were 'I hope you hate it - you'll be back soon!' (thank goodness we dont as I wouldn't have gone back to give her the satisfaction of saying, told you so!). Andys mum said dont ever look back - We haven't and thank goodness for skype as we speak to them every day via the web cam (my inlaws are silver surfers - not bad for a couple who had never been on a computer until 3 months ago). They completely understand us going and loving our new lives here. My mum was a bit easier as I knew that I would see her soon (she's coming for christmas!). We stayed at the airport hotel the night before and set off, excited about our new adventure - highly recommended - we all got on the plane happy and chilled. I would say everything worked out well for us. I didn't want the last memories (for us and defiantely not for the children) of the UK being hysterical parents/grandparents - saying that though my eldest son thought that it was very funny watching mum and dad roaring:err:

I honestly think it would be so easy to say no I'll stay in the UK as those last few weeks passed they were horrendous - to all those who are nearing that stage, stay strong, there is a light at the end of the tunnel.

Lindsey

Guest swampo

No definately going to do the airport bit on our own. I am not the prettiest creature in the first place but to see me blubbering, tears and snot would not be good for anyone to see let alone our loved ones.

We know it will be hard when it comes to the goodbyes so we shall have a little party and doing all our crying then. Keep focused on why you are leaving the UK and look forward to your new lives in Oz.

Guest macu68

Thanks everyone for all that. More or less what I thought, minimise the airport trauma and just get on with getting over to Adelaide. Just wanted to make sure that I wasn't going to deprive the family of the last emotional stand at Manchester Airport.

Thanks everyone, you are all fab.

ive yet to do his goodbye stuff to my family which i know will be very hard indeed i heard from my wife that my dad will not be coming to the airport to say goodbye to his son i know it sound mean but i understand plus my sister is due her 4 kid the dy before we go (what great timing) so we will be having a goodbye party before we go..

i saw my parents tonight and when i said anything about oz they didnt say anything so i know its hurting them hard and they dont want me to go which is normal plus they are going to miss they grand children so much........i take it eveyone knows what im saying as we have all had to go down this road or will soon be

alex

Guest macu68

Fully understand Duncan clan. Thats why i posted this question, wanted to be sure that we were doing the right thing for all of us not just thinking of kids getting on plane. I suppose that anything that can't be said in all the years you are alive isn't worth saying as you step onto a plane.

Good luck with it all, when are you due to go?

Hi Mary,

We had the parties (you can never have too many!), then the night before we left, we went to dinner with my best friend, brother and their families which was to be our final farewell.

The next morning my best friend rocked up to see us off - a very pleasant surprise as it was 6.30 am! My son wanted to go to the airport in a limo, which we thought would be an exciting start to our adventure whilst diverting their attention from leaving their home. That arrived and our friends and neighbours popped out to wave us off which was unplanned but lovely.

We carried on the journey alone and pretty excited. We travelled business class, not because we could afford it, but because we wanted to mark our new life with everything wonderful, exciting and positive. All in all, it was a fantastic end to our life in the UK, and worked brilliantly for us.

...But you probably didn't want to know all that hey?!:unsure:

I think it's a very individual decision and if I had to offer any advice it would be that, regardless of how you say your goodbyes, you try not to carry their poignancy or sadness onto the plane. Probably easier said than done, good luck to you all.

:wubclub:

LC

The goodbyes were very hard. I am so relieved we really bid farewell the weekend prior to flying on the Monday.

Friday with friends at the local pub, Sunday my Mum & close family, Monday Ashley's family - it was very, very emotional.

We were asked by a few friends about them coming along to the airport & having said 'no thanks', looking back I have no regret's it was definitely the right decision.

Good luck

Angela

• 2 weeks later...

hi there

we said our goodbyes at home and went to the airport on our own. i am so glad we did as it was stressful enough sorting bags and tickets out, without knowing that people are going to be there when you go through the departure gate.

i waved goodbye to my mum and went off in the taxi and will honestly say its the hardest and most upsetting thing i have ever done. i cried all the way to sydney , so having people at the airport would have been far worse, least i was a bit distracted for a while.

but its all down to personal choice, im glad i didnt though.

my husband and me went out with our friends and had a sort off leaving do, and the girls went into school for a party and went to the local indoor playarea for a few hours.

whatever you decided it will be hard and upsetting

good luck

jo, x

The thing is that compared to 50 years ago or more, communication is so much easier today- think how much worse it was for those 10 pound poms- the occasional letter was the best they could hope for.

Guest deb and stoo

Yo dudes

Looking back on all thats gone on over the past 6 months I think the thing that upsets me the most is the saying goodbyes to my family, in fact typing this I have a tear in my eye rembering the hugs and kisses and see you soons.

We had a big party for family and friends at a local pub about 2 weeks before we left but that just turned into a drunken free for all, but great fun too and amazed to see so many people turn up for it, nice to know you have so many friends. I'd had a works do up in London too, we took over a boat on the Thames and everyone came in Ozzie fancy dress and once again turned into a drunken free for all but great fun and I managed not to fall asleep on the train and wake up in Cambridge again :confused:.

The actual day of departure was awful, we didn't have to leave for Heathrow until about 4pm so my sisters all came round to my mums, where we were living. It was a beautiful hot day and everyone in shorts and tee shirts etc except us who had to dress smart (we was going for the upgrades). The time just flew by and before we knew it the dreaded hour approached and we had to say goodbye to my sisters and their families....I blubbed like a big old baby knowing it would be a while before we saw them again, we got in the car and drove away from where I had lived for the last 45 years knowing it would be a long time before we saw Letchworth again...truly heart breaking.

My mum followed us down to Heathrow as all 4 cases wouldn't fit in my car, I had arranged to sell my car to a guy I'd worked with at Heathrow so that worked out pretty well, the only trouble being Heathrow on a Sunday evening is basically hell on earth, the usual 1 hour journey taking 2 1/2 so was a bit of a panic on once we got there and my mum was worried about parking etc so asked us if we wanted her to stay or say goodbye there and then. I think because it was so short and sharp it wasn't so bad but its the first time I've seen my Mum cry since my Dad died 20 years ago, it broke my heart I can tell you so thank god she jumped in her car and drove off leaving me to worry about checking in etc and fishing for that elusive upgrade and getting in the standby queue with lots of Dehli and Lagos passengers :arghh: is all I'll say about that.

Being on standby is not a guarantee you'll actually fly so the worrying about that took away all the sad thoughts I was having, I don't think having relatives waving you off at the gate is a good thing, especially for the kids and Heathrow is an awful place to be doing that, probably the worst airport in the world and I worked there for 10 years :realmad:.

Anyway we eventually got to the gate where we were upgraded and enjoyed a most pleasant flight to Sydney, it was only when we went to catch the Virgin Blue to Adelaide we were informed of the 20KG per person allowance, its 30KG from the UK so be warned if you're not flying direct into ADL....luckily my sweet talking (bullsh**ting) got us away with it and the rest they say is history.

All I will say from our experience is think about it long and hard, remember Heathrow is a S**thole and not the place to say those last goodbyes and obviously think of the effect it will have on the kids. I hope this is not too long winded, I must admit now I've written it down I do feel a lot better so thank you for letting me do that.

:)

Stoo

Guest Tracijbc

You have all really helped me know I have made the right decision. We decided to tell people not to come to Heathrow to see us off, and I have felt like a right miserable old so and so since, thinking I am depriving my friends of their chance to say goodbye. We are having coutless leaving dos and are trying to catch up with as many people as we can before we go so that we feel like we have said goodbye to as many of them as possible. In fact, every weekend between now and when we leave is booked with something or someone, so we really don't get any time to think about being on our own. Still, plenty of time for that once we get to Adelaide eh?

I hope you all have a safe and trouble free journey down under and we'll hopefully catch up with some of you once we get there.

Thanks for making me feel like I am "normal" in not wanting to spend 24 hours in tears on a 'plane. :wubclub:

Traci xx

Guest Linn Family

Hi

We have been thinking about this alot and have decided that we are going to have a great big party about 6 weeks before we go just so that the children can have a fab party and so can we.

We have three boys and our eldest boy Jordan (6) is fascinated with limo's. So we have decided no family whatsoever at the airport. We are going to go to the airport the day before and stay in a hotel. We have also decided to go in style and go by Limo (lucky for us o/h is a self employed mechanic and one of his customers is a limo co). We have decided to make the beginning of our journey an adventure and although we know its a long haul down the road and we will miss everybody tremendoulsy we want to start as we mean to go on.

Also not sure I could cope with blubbering at the airport.

Teresa and Chris

Visa app lodged, medicals, pc sent just waiting for decision!!!!