Applied for a prospective marriage visa, how long will it take?

Guest LauraF

Guest LauraF

Hi everyone,

I've posted this on the Poms in Aus forum although nobody has replied yet and I'd like to get as much feedback as possible -

Me and my fiancé have been together for 3 years, most of that time being physically together. So far we've been apart for 4 months and it feels like an eternity, so I was just wondering if anyone has any personal experience of how long my visa will take to process?

The London office states that it takes between 5 and 6 months but I'm hoping it will be sooner because we're a 'straight forward' case or something (is there such a thing??)

We've lived together before both in Australia and England and have sent proof of this with the application, also 3 people have declared our relationship and I sent photographs of us together. The application has been sent and my additional health and criminal background check have just come back to me fine - so from this stage when they receive the final documentation of the CRB check in the post, does anyone know how long it may take to approve?

I really can't wait another 6 months, that's far too long!

Hi, I'm afraid 5 to 6 months really does mean 5 to 6 months. I applied for my spouse visa last November and we've been married nine years and have two children and it still took about 5 months for the visa to come through. I think it's to do with being on a waiting list rathr than the time taken ti actually process the visa, so the amount of time stated is the amount of time it takes.

Guest LauraF

Oh dear :( I can't wait that long... that will be December or even next year. Since we met the longest we've ever been apart before is 3 months and right now it's been 4 so far.

Someone over on Poms in Oz has further confused me by suggesting I should have applied for a partner/spousal visa which would be approved much more quickly although by your story NicF... that contradicts.

Oh dear :( I can't wait that long... that will be December or even next year. Since we met the longest we've ever been apart before is 3 months and right now it's been 4 so far.

Someone over on Poms in Oz has further confused me by suggesting I should have applied for a partner/spousal visa which would be approved much more quickly although by your story NicF... that contradicts.

It's 5-6 months for a prospective marriage visa or a partner/spouse visa.

The downside to a PMV is that you will have to fill out another application for the partner/spouse visa, a subclass 820 (if you are still residing in Australia).

Edited by emmie
typo