Young couple moving to Adelaide, unsure of which area will be best for us please help

Guest duggan10

Guest duggan10

Hi

Me and my husband are a young couple from England curently living near Brisbane. We are moving to Adelaide due to work comitments. Can anyone suggest an area that is close enough to get to the city, with plenty of facilities (supermarket, resturants, pubs/bars) but also not too hectic, and good for public transport? I will more than likely be working either northern Adelaide or in the eastern suburbs. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Do you favour city, hills or beach? A lot of people say beach but in reality but you are never too far away from one unless perhaps you choose the north east suburbs. The South is still developing fast and is popular because of the expressway and extended rail access.

Areas around the Port are also seeing much regeneration but this appears to be the oldest part of the City. Glenelg/Brighton are popular with tram links to the City but the further South you go it seems you get a little more for your money. The Hills can get cold in Winter but do get a few more 'gully' breezes in hot weather.

If you are looking for jobs that would be a sensible priority depending on how much you want to travel each day.

There are loads of good schools all over the City and Metropolitan district so 'gut' reactions as you drive around can help narrow it down.

As a couple, rather than a family, my first choice would be North Adelaide but this can be fairly pricey. The other area in the Eastern suberbs I'd like to live if I didn't have kids is Norwoord, near the parade. Near Burnside shopping village is also nice, but to be honest you can't go too far wrong with any of the Eastern suberbs.

If you fancy being near the beach then Glenelg is a great place for shops and bars etc and there is a tram in to the city that you can catch from there. Some of the Northern suberbs aren't great unless you go all the way out to Golden Grove, although my OH is working at Mawson Lakes at the moment and he is quite taken with that area as well. We're thinking about it as a place to live but we're not sure about schools and the houses don't have much garden, but this might be ideal for you.

Guest Katangel

Norwood, burnside, unley and their surrounding suburbs for the eastern side of town. Blackwood is a little further east into the hills but up and coming and mawson lakes is north of the city (about 20-30 min drive) that is quite popular. Lightsview is north east of the city which is a brand new suburb and about 10-15 mins from city. North Adelaide is popular if you have lots of money lol :-) check out those areas on Google maps but also check real estate.com.au :-)

I'd second Norwood for a young couple wanting a place with a bit of a buzz to it - good for transport, cafes, restaurants and shops. You could have a look at the North Eastern suburbs too - something around Modbury would be good for transport both to the north and the east for work, and has a large shopping mall at Tea Tree Plaza plus pubs, restaurants, cafes etc but a bit more spread out that Norwood. Athelstone and thereabouts is a good compromise for something on the edge of the hills, and about 30 mins drive to the Barossa wineries, whilst still well-placed for transportation into the city. That will be a little cheaper than Norwood or the close-to-the-CBD eastern suburbs. Perhaps more of a family area, so probably depends if you as a couple want to enjoy your unencumbered state for a few years, or are thinking of "settling down and having a family" (just call me "Mum"!)

As a young couple when we arrived (getting old now!!) i would say anywhere on the outskirts of the city if you need transport..... Glenelg i great for young, but if you will working in the east then Norwood is a great area for being social!

Once you get past the Inner Suburbs the transport pretty much stops and if you want a beer its taxis all the way! We have always specifically choose to live by the Tram line to get easy access to city and bay!

Dan

Guest duggan10

Thank you so much everyone all this information has been really helpful. I've looked into the areas and looks like we're def gona go for Norwood or Glenelg. Thanks again, really glad I joined here :-) x