where to live , moving from melbourne. please help

Guest Wellse

Guest Wellse

Hi, we are currently living in melbourne and are looking at moving to Adelaide. Been in Australia about 15months now, not really settled, loved adelaide when we visited, but we are not sure where to live! We have 3 young children one at school, we would like to be near a good school, parks and not too far from the hospital/CBD as I am a nurse, so dont want to have to travel for too long. We also would like to be near long day care/kinder. Family friendly area any suggestions would be much appreciated.

thanks

Hi, we currently live in the Eastern suburb of Rose Park. Our daughters go to Rose Park primary school which is a fantastic school. Rose Park is close to the CBD and the parklands (have a look on google maps). My wife works at the Wakefield hospital and generally cycles, but you can walk it in 20-mins. When are you looking to move? Reason for asking is that we're going to have to break our lease as we've just had an offer accepted on a house near Stoneyfell. Our rental is on Alexandra Avenue which also happens to be on the same road as the school (about 8 doors up!) :o) We've got 60-days completion target from tomorrow!

Rose Park School also has a pre-school, but we sent our youngest daughter to the Christian Brothers College Community Children's Centre on East Terrace which is just inside the parklands and a very short walk to Wakefield Hospital and the Royal Adelaide Hospital.

We lived in Melbourne too for a year and much prefer Adelaide. It's so much more relaxed.

Guest Wellse

Hi, we have just told our letting agent we want to leave, but also breaking the lease, so need to stay where we are until a new tenant is found, my husband is applying for jobs as ideally he would work full time and myself part time. so no real time scale as yet, bit anxious as my son has settled at school here and dont want to make a mistake and unsettle him for it to go wrong. where in melbourne were you? we are in mornington peninsula which is nice and have met some nice people but i just dont feel settled, but don't know if its just because my mum, dad and sisters are not here and wonder if moving would make any difference!?! saying that we spent a week in adelaide and loved it! I had been led to believe by many there was not much going on, shops rubbish etc, so was nice surprise to see how wrong they were! plus i dont think it was my imagination but i am sure drivers were more thoughtful of other drivers over in adelaide! i find it scarey driving over here dont know which way other cars are going to come from! is your wife a nurse? wondered what nurse patient ratios etc were like?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Wellse

Hi we have pretty much decided to give Adelaide a go just trying to sort out jobs and removals! did you get someone for your property? Can you recommend anyone to use for removals?

Hello. Our house is up for rent on real estate. It is 76 alexandra ave, rose park. Have a look. There was somebody came to look yesterday. What kind of nursing do you do? I work in emerg at the Wakefield. Nursing ratios are slightly worse in the private sector but I believe the public is 3 to 1. We love living in Adelaide and find it way friendlier and a way easier pace of life due to less people. The hills are beautiful and if you rent centrally then you can spend six months trying to decide which area suits you as a family.

We lived in Hampton for a year, where on the mornington penninsula are you? What does your husband do?

Lots of questions.

Guest Wellse

Hi, we are in mount Martha at moment. My husbands a Physio, i currently work at a GP practice but was working on a medical ward until June, ratios were 5 or 6 to 1 so pretty rubbish, no nursing assistants, so could be really heavy depending on your patient load. I am hoping to continue in primary care if i can, and my husband work full time as we have 3 children 7,3,2.

We want to try to find an area that is family friendly, safe and near things, oh and a nice primary school. I have read on a few posts about break ins, and cars being stolen in areas nearer the city. We are looking to rent initially, We are thinking of the eastern suburbs as we loved going to Hazelwood Park when we visited at the begining of the year and seemed to be a nice area, lots of families out! Do you know where we should avoid? and could you suggest any areas to look at?

How old are your children? have they settled well? Do they prefer Adelaide to Melbourne? sorry to ask so much!

The kids are 6 and 5. They're both happy enough here, that's when the eldest one is not having a tantrum break down that is. Keeping them busy doesn't seem to be an issue.

Hazelwood is a nice area, close enough to everything, though to be honest everything is relatively close. Crime is something i guess you can't get away from no matter where you live - we've lived here for almost 18months and i can't say i've ever felt threatened or witnessed any crime. That's obviously not to say it doesn't happen, there are the usual break-ins, car thefts etc which are covered in the free papers that we get. We're right on the border of the CBD parklands and feel safe, we've left the cars unlocked on numerous occasions and nothings ever happened. I think most areas in the Eastern burbs are good. There's a few busy roads around which if you live close to might be noisy (Portrush Road, Glen Osmond Road, Kensington Road, Greenhill Road, The Parade - though the last 3 are more during the rush hour). The further east you head the closer to the foothills you get, which is where we're off to, blocks tend to be slightly bigger out that way than closer in to the CBD

It's one of those things that until you experience life here it will always remain a mystery.

I may be biased, but the eastern suburbs are brilliant. They can get a bit expensive, although compared to Melbourne probably not that bad. We researched a lot of the primary schools in the east as we were considering living somewhere like Burnside, Hazelwood Park, Wattle Park or Magil. The primary schools around these areas are all really good and the senior schools are also very good. In the end we weren't sure if we would be able to buy in these suburbs so went for Rostrevor, which is still east but a bit further north, has a good primary school and if you are in the right part is still in the zone for a good senior school. Check out myschool for info on the schools in the area and also look at the individual schools websites to get a feel for the schools.

Nicola

Guest samantha

hi my name is samantha we moved here in dec

living in westlakes at the min ,have four children and they seem to have settled in well

,westlakes is a short drive from the hospital about 20 mins ,know one or nurses working in the local hospital

think everything is 20 away ,there are buses in and out of town

there are shops and schools near and really nice beach ,not sure if you want to be close to the beach or the town but everywhere you they have plenty of shops and schools ,good luck with your move and i hope you settle in well to life in Adelaide ,if you ever want to meet for a coffee let me know