What is an OK salary in Adelaide?

Guest uma

Hi All,

Can some one please tell us what is the manageable salary in Adelaide for a family of 4 (two kids)?

We want to have an estimate before we come there as we are not sure how comfortable we can manage with kids. No extra luxuries are needed however we want to provide a comfortable life to kids.

Thank you,

uma

The answer to this question is so subjective, and completely depends on the family, and what they consider a comfortable living.

A family of four could survive on $40,000 a year salary (you'll get child credits too). I know this, as I know a family that do.

But I also know some single people that wouldn't be able to survive on $40,000 a year on their own. (They could easily but they define surviving as eating out 3-4 times a week and always doing something.)

I'd say a family could live a comfortable life on an income of about $80,000 - but again that's just my opinion.

Guest wijaya

the average salary per household in Australia I think is around 50-60 K mark. So, compare this to what you earned currently in your country. I thinks it's difficult to say what should call comfortable, as other post mention. It depends on your lifestyle, age, expectation. Like us, we are in our 40, with two kids (15 and 12). Last year, we earned around 80 K, before tax. We are comfortable with it, as our spending were around 40-50 k annually. This was because we have earned our living before in the UK, so we could buy our house without any mortgage. So if you still need a big mortgage, you need to factor that in.

kind regards

Guest deardos

Hi,

I am in the same boat really, I ve had an interview on Skype this morning so fingers crossed, with a salary at 66,500 before tax. Could I take it I could survive on this ? I have 2 young children and a wife. We dont spend a lot .......but my missus would do half the chance. All we want is 1 meal out a week and to spend family time with kids. The missus would get a part time job also to bump us up but she has 12 year experiance with retail management so should be a problem. What wages could she earn say on a 16 hrs a week sales assistant role ? Does anybody know ?

Guest moonraker1959

Uma,define comfortable!I know people on good salaries,nice houses,and the rest of it,and I also know people (working class???)that earn far less,live in an average house,no holidays and so on but would say they are comfortable!It depends as other posters have mentioned,what your expectations are,and what you want to achieve!

Hi Uma

You might find this website quite useful to give you some ideas on cost of living etc ahead of when you move, I have found it useful anyway as it gives you comparisons on generic things in order to make a comparison.

A while ago someone on here shared a spreadsheet which gave detail of their actual cost of living which might also be useful, will see if I can find the thread.

Ali

Guest RobJ1978

Deardos - Eating out once a week...that could easily be $80...and thats with two kids, one of which is 3 and takes her own juice! Our 'treat' is once a month having fish and chips!:biglaugh:

Nic.x.

Guest Sannie!
Hi,

What wages could she earn say on a 16 hrs a week sales assistant role ? Does anybody know ?

From what i know - it depends on working where? When ? And to who? Some retail shops has week day

And week end pays ( which are slightly more than week day rates) , some servos has higher pay rate for night ahifts so doing that 16 hrs in The night shifts may fetch extra bit more $$ , some other retail shops pays 1.5 or even double on week ends and public holidays...

Hi All,

Can some one please tell us what is the manageable salary in Adelaide for a family of 4 (two kids)?

We want to have an estimate before we come there as we are not sure how comfortable we can manage with kids. No extra luxuries are needed however we want to provide a comfortable life to kids.

Thank you,

uma

I think this will depend hugely on your housing expenses. You need to know that in Australia if your partner is not working they are considered an additional dependent and therefore the amount you can borrow for a mortgage is lower. Given the huge property slump here, renting can actually be more expensive than purchasing depending on what equity you have. Furthermore, the killer is utilities with a huge planned increase. If you can figure out what your spend needs to be then you can see if that income will work for you.

Hi Beanbear...thanks for the info.

My husband has an experience of around 20 years in FMCG retails sales. As we are coming there with two kids, he wants to work for part time to take care the kids.

Could you please tell us with what jobs in retail he can proceed with? and is it fine to work for around 4 or 5 hours per day with the 9AM to 2 PM shift?

Also are there any other alternative careers available for him to switch?

Regards,

Uma

Guest matt n mel
Hi Beanbear...thanks for the info.

My husband has an experience of around 20 years in FMCG retails sales. As we are coming there with two kids, he wants to work for part time to take care the kids.

Could you please tell us with what jobs in retail he can proceed with? and is it fine to work for around 4 or 5 hours per day with the 9AM to 2 PM shift?

Also are there any other alternative careers available for him to switch?

Regards,

Uma

Hi Uma

In some ways it's just the same as uk that the majority of retail positions available seem to be part time. There's two different rates over here which is part time and casual (sort of like agency work where you get a higher hourly rate, but no sick pay, holiday pay etc). Maybe around 19 bucks p/t and 23 casual as a rough idea.

I would imagine that morning shifts as you have described will be much sought after, by mums and dads etc, and from what I have seen, flexibility to work evenings and weekends would strengthen his application but I guess you'll know more when you start sending out cvs/resumes etc

Try the big supermarkets, or head for big shopping centres and just drop a cv into all the stores he likes the look of.

Good luck!

Are you sure Rammygirl? My wife and myself earn circa £75-80k which allows us to live fairly well in SE england where as we could live very well in NE england for example.

I think you need to sit down and work through outgoings vs income and then factor the disposable income by your 2-2.5 although I still think that is a little high. My brother and his girlfriend live very well although simply on circa $45k in Adelaide in the CBD area too.

S

Guest satish_lkb

Uma,

We landed here in Adelaide during December 2011. We are a family of 4 (2 kids aged 14 & 10) Answering to your question "what is an ok salary in Adelaide"? I can give you an idea from our experience.

If you are renting you need to shell out 250-300 pw for a 2 bed unit/house and 300-350 for a 3 bed house. If you need new houses close to city (less than 10 km) that also in Eastern suburbs.. pay more.

Next.. Car. If you are new to the Country, probably you will buy a new/used car from your own sources and not through any finance. If you are availing finance, EMI will come in addition to Tax, Insurance, Petrol and maintenance costs.

So, fo a family of 4, taking into consideration of above factors, you need around 40,000 pa for a "descent life" (as per my definition) except Vehicle Loan , Mortgage etc. Like someone mentioned, 40,000 is enough for a family of 4, but not enough for a single bloke..

Cheers

Satish

• 3 weeks later...

In regards to wages per hour for sales assistant on casual your looking at $20 to $25 ph casual and about $40,000 inc super on wages I know this as my Gf worked for a well known retail store.

In regards to how much can you survue on I had the same question 2 years ago and people can never give you a answer so here a breakdown of average in my opinion cost living in Adelaide

Rent - $300 P.W. - Decent suburb cheaper in far north and south

Food-$100 PW (groceries) based on two people family of four say $150 but go the market on a saturday cheaper and fresher

Bills - $150 PW phone, gas, elec, net

Fuel- $50 - Small car

So I think you can survive on household income of $65,000 incl super. you wont have aluxorious life but will be similar finacially to the uk.

General rule is if you earn good money in the uk then you will earn the equivalent here or probaly more what i found.

hope this helps

Guest bubbe2005
In regards to wages per hour for sales assistant on casual your looking at $20 to $25 ph casual and about $40,000 inc super on wages I know this as my Gf worked for a well known retail store.

In regards to how much can you survue on I had the same question 2 years ago and people can never give you a answer so here a breakdown of average in my opinion cost living in Adelaide

Rent - $300 P.W. - Decent suburb cheaper in far north and south

Food-$100 PW (groceries) based on two people family of four say $150 but go the market on a saturday cheaper and fresher

Bills - $150 PW phone, gas, elec, net

Fuel- $50 - Small car

So I think you can survive on household income of $65,000 incl super. you wont have aluxorious life but will be similar finacially to the uk.

General rule is if you earn good money in the uk then you will earn the equivalent here or probaly more what i found.

hope this helps

I know that electricity is billed quarterly....maybe in the region of $1000??

also how much on average is gas and water?

The $150 i quoted includes mobile and internet. I have only ever had one electricity bill for $1000 over the summer months when i was leaving the aircon on most days. My elec bill in a 3 storey two bed town house is usually $320 per qtr gas about $150. I dont pay water or rates as I rent but my gf has her own place and she pays strata etc and i would say $150 pw still covers everything.

if you leave the aircond on in summer months or the heating on all the time in winter, you will get a shocking bills afterwards. a friend of mine who live in a 2-bed roomed unit had a bill of 850 this quarter. She has small children (7 and 3) On the contrary my bill was 180 even though I have a bigger house. We only switched the heating on for around 1-2 hours a day, only when the weather really cold. With our teenage children, we could survive.. so depends on the family circumstances, sometime you don;t have any choice but has to fork out a lot of money for the electricity.

regards